Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

Traveler wganz is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wganz View Post
    Sai King apparently didn't know too much about the topic or didn't regard it as of such import to require deeper research to get absolute accuracy. IMHO, it was more important for him to tie his other novels into a coherent strand than to dwell on a technical accuracy on a topic that he may not actually like. Based on what Sai King has said, I'm going with this.
    I've always believed this as well.

What's EMF?
    Early and Modern Firearms, Inc. (EMF)
    One of the earliest providers of Italian replica cap & ball revolvers. They're one of the biggest suppliers of shooting irons for Cowboy Action Shooting(aka IDPA for the geritol crowd). They're good peeps to deal with.
    Last edited by wganz; 09-26-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: missspelling

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i looked them up after posting, but thanks for replying. I really like their Alchimista. I think if I'm gonna pay that much for a SA revolver though, I might as well go with the tried and true Vaquero.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

anyone shot any of these EMF guns?

Seen them, but have yet to see a review for them.

Traveler wganz is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by lead dealer View Post
    anyone shot any of these EMF guns?

Seen them, but have yet to see a review for them.
    I personally have not used them but they are popular with the cowboy action shooting people. and anything that cannot take a pounding in those timed matches is quickly found out. they have an excellent customer service rep. I am going to get a cap & ball revolver from them.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

watch "the good ,the bad, and the ugly" and "outlaw Josey wales" and you will get an idea of exactly what King was envisioning .

Along the Path of the Beam SpyGuy will become famous soon enough SpyGuy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Guns of Deschain

I actually decided to do a little research on the Big Guns myself, and posted this over on one of the Facebook pages. (because, yeah, I'm interested in knowing what the heck those guns were, too.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question or two about the Big Guns, Roland's weapons handed down from his father's lineage. As I've read the original version of The Gunslinger countless times, and re-read the rest of the series recently, I was wondering: what kind of guns are they if they were here in OUR world? (Obviously there are some differences, but these can also be put off to gunsmiths in "other worlds than these.") I'm going to compare them to "real-world" guns here, and try to reference pictures when I can. Please feel free to add any pictures or other tidbits you may have about the guns, and I say thankya.

Okay, SO ... in the first book (the original before the rewrite) the illustrations by Michael Whelan look like the classic .45 Colt Peacemakers, the guns that "won the West" back in the 1800's. Descriptions of the guns appear to be consistent with a revolver that has a loading gate at the rear and a pushrod to eject spent shells one at a time. (Brass is damned hot when fired, which would account for the circles being burned into Roland's fingertips when reloading during the battle of Tull.) The guns themselves have long barrels, more than likely 7" or 8" barrels - not a "fast draw" gun, which are usually 4.75"-5.5", but given Roland's intensive training, the length probably doesn't matter. Of course, the grips are made of sandalwood, which is a yellow-colored wood much like poplar, and is an often-repeated theme in the series. As the guns are weighted to his hands, it is entirely possible to slip thin metal plates between the grips and the frame of the gun butts to offset the weight of the barrels. (Note: In the revised edition of The Gunslinger, this exact modification is used.)

Comic book versions of the Big Guns vary back and forth between Civil War cap-and-ball style revolvers (with the pushrods for loading each cylinder under the barrels) to the classic Old West six-shooters. Obviously, trying to reload a cap-and-ball firearm when you have a bunch of people coming after you is NOT the best choice in the world, as you have to put the wadding in, press it down, then pour the powder into each cylinder, put in the ball on top, press THAT down ...... definitely not a speed-loader.

Now, the movie guns. From the pictures I have seen of the guns (and I specifically went looking for them), those guns appear to be replicas of the 1875 Remington Army Outlaw revolvers. Long barrels with a triangular brace from the trigger guard up underneath the barrel, curved hammers, very long and sleek. This also matches the shot of Roland's gun during the encounter with the Slow Mutants from The Gunslinger. However, these were cap-and-ball. Remington did make a cartridge conversion for the guns, so I am guessing this is what was used for the movie. More on those in a minute ...

In the second book, Roland swings the cylinders out to check the loads after his guns have gotten wet on the beach. This is known as a "crane," where the cylinder rolls out of the side of the gun. BUT... that technology wasn't made back then. In the Old West, there was a loading gate, which swung off the back of the cylinder so that shells could be loaded one at a time, and ejected one at a time. This would generally mean the cylinder was fixed into place, and not on a crane system. If the cylinder rolled out, Roland would have been able to reload MUCH faster, as all he would have had to do was upend the gun and let the spent shells fall out of the back of the cylinder. But then his fingertips wouldn't have circles burned in them .........

Back to the movie guns. Found another picture of something interesting. Roland is carrying his gunna sack over his shoulder. Take a good look at the sack, and what is in it. Hey ...... doesn't that look like a couple of extra loaded cylinders there? (And the Horn of Eld, too, but that's something for another day.) This would indicate that the cylinders can be easily replaced, popping them in and out of the guns. This is similar to what Dirty Harry Callahan did with his famous .44 Magnum in his first movie - it acts as a form of speed-loading, swapping out empty cylinders for full ones. (But then he wouldn't need to reload the shells from his gunbelt, and burn his fingers ..... inconsistencies abound, but who really cares? FANTASY, remember?) Reloading in this form would be kinda bad, as he's not actually carrying the extra cylinders with him - if he loses that bag, he has twelve shots against ... what, fifty-eight people in Tull?

Another version of cylinder reloading would be the Schofield guns made by Smith & Wesson, circa 1869-1915. These were called 'top-break' guns, because they did exactly that: the guns broke open from the top, and the entire barrel and cylinder assembly swung forward on a hinge directly in front of the trigger guard. In this way, the rear of the cylinder was completely exposed and accessible so that bullets could be shoved out and replaced, or in other instances, the whole cylinder could be popped out and replaced. Schofields were chambered in .44 Henry Rimfire, .44-40, .32-44, .38-44, and .45 Schofield.

So, my best guess on the origins of the guns would be the 1875 Remington with a 7.5" barrel and a cartridge conversion, with some nice engraved detailing. I'll set my watch and warrant on it.

I welcome any more input, opinions, comments, suggestions, insults, and general nineteen on this thread, and I say thankya again.

EDIT: The movie guns were identified as "Hollywooded" 1858 Remington .44's. Thankee-sai !!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Judging by the loading scene in the trailer, the movie revolvers have the swing out cylinders of more modern revolvers.

But then there's the scene when Roland reloads his guns in the air... and he seems to do that a different way by just... backing the guns into the bullets mid-air. (Forgive me if I saw that wrong.)

It was cool but, a bit silly, I thought. Reminded me of a similar scene in Kick-Ass, when Hit-Girl reloads her pistols with a similar trick, although those were clip loaded, up the grip, so it would have been a tad easier.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Judging by the loading scene in the trailer, the movie revolvers have the swing out cylinders of more modern revolvers.

But then there's the scene when Roland reloads his guns in the air... and he seems to do that a different way by just... backing the guns into the bullets mid-air. (Forgive me if I saw that wrong.)

It was cool but, a bit silly, I thought. Reminded me of a similar scene in Kick-Ass, when Hit-Girl reloads her pistols with a similar trick, although those were clip loaded, up the grip, so it would have been a tad easier.

I don't disagree with you, but then HOW exactly could the film depict what the book describes otherwise? I thought they did a pretty cool adaptation of the re-loading in two instances from what I saw in the trailers.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Argh! I just typed a reply, and somehow lost my Internet connection and the whole post.

Okay, the scene when Roland appears to pour the bullets into the gun chambers kind of worked for me. It's something I see as just about plausible.

The reloading in mid-air thing looked very cool, just a bit too 'Hollywood gimmick' for my liking. And would that even have worked, considering the way the guns were loaded elsewhere? (This could just be my own ignorance here. I don't know much about guns.)

On a positive note, I think whoever designed and created the film version of the Guns of Eld, did an amazing job. They're really beautiful.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

He could be using something like this guy uses: (see about 30 seconds in) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw

EDIT: it's called a moon clip: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_clip

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

confirm the "hollywooded" 1858 - the most obvious difference was already pointed out, that the 1858 was a cap and ball, while the move version has a modified cylinder.
    for those who are interested a few detail shots:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13