Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

Traveler koz is on a distinguished road

Default The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

What kind of guns are his guns based on?
    Anyone have any info on them?
    Last edited by Darkthoughts; 01-09-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Kilgore Trout valtr0n is on a distinguished road valtr0n's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd wager they're not based on any existing gun, but I'll throw a few possibilities out there, based on the fact that it's a single-action, loading gate .45 LC revolver.

A Colt Single Action Army is the most likely inspiration...

The Ruger Vaquero is an exact copy of the Colt SAA, so it can't be that...

The Taurus Gaucho is pretty much the exact same thing.

I'd really like to imagine them as looking more like a Schofield, but they break down to load instead of via a loading gate.

Besides, I can't imagine the descendant of Arthur Eld would carry anything other than a Colt.

Don't you get it?! We are the walking dead! We are the walking dead...

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Sandlewood grips, though, yes? Light in color and beautiful, no doubt.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, yeah, I'm just saying the model of the gun is most likely based on a SAA. Grips/etc are all interchangeable.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

valtr0n - Yup, great job on finding a pic.
    That's basically the gun I picture, except all shiny and oiled well, and generally loved.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always imagined something with a little more...meat to it...
    Mayhap something like this...

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

dear god skol, don't point that thing at me

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

The perspective is wicked crazy eh?

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

According to the comics they're certainly single action .45 revolvers. (Theres a section at the back of one of the Gunslinger Born issues which describes the various guns.)

Wizard and Glass Spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    The way Susan fires the revolver in WaG though (which isn't quite the final gunsglinger type he'd inherit later but the next best thing) you'd think it was double -action. I'm referring to the scene where she breaks Roland and co out of jail. I.e. theres a point where she squeezes the trigger again after firing it, and the gun still goes off something which shouldn't happen without her manually,(or womanually in her case ) pulling back the hammer surely? I'll admit, my experience of shooters is quite minimal though, but that's the impression I got from my research.

Country
    Country Flag

Brainslinger, the guns Roland has in W&G are not the same guns he has for the actual duration of the quest, if I'm not mistaken.

It's entirely possible the "cheap" guns he has are double action.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by valtr0n View Post
    Brainslinger, the guns Roland has in W&G are not the same guns he has for the actual duration of the quest, if I'm not mistaken.

It's entirely possible the "cheap" guns he has are double action.
    Oh, I know they're not the same, but I figured the firing technology would be the same.I associate double action weapons as being technologically more advanced, taking away the need to muck about with the hammer (but you still have the option of doing that if you wish.) Hence advancing to the gunslinger guns would be a bit of a downgrade if the previous revolvers were double action...

That being said, the gunslinger guns supposedly go back to Arthur Eld (if we believe the comics) so I suppose it could be purely traditional.

Traveler D-Bo is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I always envisioned a Colt SAA with lots of scrollwork on it and of course the sandalwood grips.

Perhaps along the lines of something like this:

Then there is the pistol Jake brought and wore in the docker's clutch. The semi auto he took from his father, in 1977 the only semi auto Ruger available was the MkI .22 caliber:

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo View Post
    I always envisioned a Colt SAA with lots of scrollwork on it and of course the sandalwood grips.

Perhaps along the lines of something like this:

Then there is the pistol Jake brought and wore in the docker's clutch. The semi auto he took from his father, in 1977 the only semi auto Ruger available was the MkI .22 caliber:

Oh, that first one is almost identical to my mental picture when reading the books!

The second one doesn't fit into my mental image, but that's just because my imagination isn't always historically accurate!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Actually, SK makes a bunch of errors in the books when describing the guns. I can't remember them all right now, and I'm at work, but for sure I know he talks about people just pulling the triggers without cocking, and then later on he talks about Roland "fanning the trigger" which is conflicting to whether he shoots a single or double action.

Also, they keep describing the guns as "huge, looking more like a prop than a real gun" but then when he gets the ammo he says it shoots .45lc, and I've never seen a really big 45 colt. I don't remember the books actually saying they have a loading gate, but they never say they have pull out cylinders or are break opens either, so what I understood by what was said they do have a loading gate. An SAA Colt .45 colt is the closest approximation I can come to it, mentally, myself.

I don't think SK did any special research on the weapons he describes, anyway.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Traveler MaXx Ka-Tet 19 is on a distinguished road MaXx Ka-Tet 19's Avatar

my image of Rolands Guns are the .45s, but with extended barrels & the srollwork like the picture but toned down a bit & of course the rose on the end =)

Country
    Country Flag

Looking at the guns used in The Dark Tower: Treachery, I think the artist should have extended the barrels a bit. They look to me more like the average sized (if there's such a thing) shooter used in Western films. Yet King tends to emphasize the fact Roland's are big.

I didn't mind when Roland and co's guns were shown as they haven't received the full gunslinger weapons at that point.
    Spoiler:
    But in this issue we actually see Steven shoot the guns of Deschain.

Apart from that the design looks pretty good.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    later on he talks about Roland "fanning the trigger" which is conflicting to whether he shoots a single or double action.
    You can fan the hammer with double action guns though can't you? I.e, you don't need to, as pulling the trigger will cock it too, but it saves on trigger pressure doesn't it? (I'm assuming that 'fanning' thing is tapping the hammer with your palm so you can shoot at a fast rate... rather than cocking with your thumb...(oo-er)...)

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Something like these.....

Oh and turtlesong....

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

point the first - some of those look like some puny ass guns to me

point the second - DON'T point that fucking thing at me

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Jackie - 1 and 3 picture, double actions, and on the third picture those look like 45lc shells, but the gun looks like a .38.... also, the middle picture with all the older revolvers, they all look like top break except for maybe the 3rd one down on the right side, That one might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    later on he talks about Roland "fanning the trigger" which is conflicting to whether he shoots a single or double action.
    You can fan the hammer with double action guns though can't you? I.e, you don't need to, as pulling the trigger will cock it too, but it saves on trigger pressure doesn't it? (I'm assuming that 'fanning' thing is tapping the hammer with your palm so you can shoot at a fast rate... rather than cocking with your thumb...(oo-er)...)
    My understanding, (and maybe Valtron might clarify this, he knows more than I do, fucken gun nut ) is that although most double actions can be operated as a single actions, the extra machination would make it a slow affair, they're also usually harder to cock, and fanning the hammer would be awkward, slow, and make accuracy difficult.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

AHHH

My fellow Dark tower gun junkies...

The closest weapon to rolands guns is the Colt new service. In a .45 caliber. The .45 winchester mag that was asked for in the sporting goods store in 1977 is a rimless round, hence unsuitable for a revolver with out useing a clip (1/2 or full moon).
    The new service (1917) is a double action weapon, mentions many times that he or eddie "squeezed the trigger", yet no mention of cocking.....
    The 1917 (military .45 acp version of the new service) and all new services had a swing out cylinder. When Detta was going to shoot "that mean honkey" on the beach she drew the unconshous Rolands pistol. Went to examine the load and tried to push the cylinder release foreward (like a smith and wesson) it would not go. She thumbed the releice back, hence it is a colt.
    And abouve all this was a big gun it is a good 2 inches longer than my 1911 goverment models, a 1/3 larger than a S&W model 10 (m&p revolver). Beautyfull balance, a nice peice, I can see why Roland favored his so well.
    Double action too hi tec? In a world with psycotic trains and tretrous robots, a double action revolver is not that far out there. After all as said so well in the stand "the tools are there we just have to pick them up"
    The colt new service (colt 1917) was offered in 4 barrel lenghts and at least 4 diffrent "hard" calibers that I know of.

And yes got mine off of gunbroker and yes, it has sandalwood grips.....

"I kill with my heart"

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

Ahh my fellow travlers, almost forgot....

You can "fan" the triggers of most double actions. Hold the trigger back and rapidly hit with the heel of your hand the hammer spur. Holding the trigger back prevents the hammer from locking in place so rapid pesudo aimed fire can be accomplished.

"I kill with my heart"

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

Default The Tower and The Gun *spoilers

It seems to me that the DT and the gun are linked.

The spiral staircase of the tower and the rifling in the gun barrel make a link in my head.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Both are cylindrical in shape. I think the similarities end there.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

The spiraling staircase & the rifling of the barrel are interesting similarities--however--did it ever say that Roland's guns had rifled barrels? I only ask because they are suppsoed to be very, very old guns,and rifling pistol barrels isn't soemthign I think you would see hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

Aside from that, without more reason for your belief I'd have to say its interesting but probably far fetched.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast