Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gunslinger's Guns - General Discussion

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

And we never knew what morel of ruger that jake brought back with him, Was it the .22 target pistol or one of rugers bigger semi auto offerings?

How may boxes of ammo can you fit in your shorts and jump in front of a subway and not loose any? 4 boxes? five? at 50 rounds a box.......... And how many dose he have per belt to start with? 2 gunbelts, anywhere from 30 to 80 rounds a belt..... Than how may "wets" were there?.......

The mind boggles.....

Gunslinger Apprentice lead dealer is on a distinguished road lead dealer's Avatar

The comics are good. But they are not what you would want to rely on for accuracy. Have seen obviously black powder revolvers suddenly ave caseings removed from them. They are good, and for the most part close. If you are looking for an engraved single action army, check out the colt custom shop or most gun collector sights. There are a lot of really pretty single action armys out there.

Oh yea, some of your answers may be found in the "gunslinger's guns" thread....

More ramblings from another professional gun junkie on another level of the tower...

Along the Path of the Beam Claude Clay will become famous soon enough Claude Clay's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm shy on the details now, but i remember when reading about Jake's ruger and the time he met up with Roland i looked up some old catalogs. Ruger only made the Mk. 1 22 LR in that and previous years.

as for Roland reloading, certainly before the start of things in the desert. from that point in time forward--me thinks not.

and concerning water tight reloads--neck tension alone is adequate in our world. but given that the wet rounds came with him from home it is likely that the brass had been reloaded so many times it had lost enough of its tension and became susceptible to water. I'm thinking they were loaded with something like the lee load kits that use a hammer rather than a bullet press.
    make a fire for a man and you warm him for the nite
    light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life

Along the Path of the Beam keyframe is on a distinguished road keyframe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a good link about the grips.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...O5GktwfbiYWZCA

Ruger made some larger semi autos rather early on, they were short lived and surfaced ever so often. They had extreme reliability issues and were pulled on and off of the catalog.
    Not sure however when they were being introduced. they were a mainstay by the early 80's.

You would be surprised how non water tight reloads actually are. There is a reason why the commies paint their primers and case necks, and that is with factory ammo! Reloads according to the lee company should be fired within a few years of manufacture, over time air gets into the caseing with the powder along with the possibility of moisture.
    I have found that storage has a lot to do with how long munition lasts. Hept in a cardboard box in a non temperature controlled environment, you start getting misfires in a decade plus. Hence why ammo lasts only a short time in the middle east,Africa and S. America. On the other hand you seal the ammo in a lead can and keep it in some place like a cave. Well that turkish 8mm that hit the market a few years ago dates from 1938 and is still as hard kicking now as it was when manufactured.
    Rideing around on a persons body exposed to the weather and elements is possibly the worst thing that you could do to a cartridge. But needed if you want to shoot them. Bullet dose not do you a lot of good in a box when you need it in a fire fight dose it?

Traveler Blankstare is on a distinguished road Blankstare's Avatar

Hi, new here:

I know I'm comming to this discussion a little late, but I've always thought of Roland's "big" revolvers along the lines of my Ruger Bisley .45

http://www.teraasekeskus.com/images/...gerBisley2.jpg As you can see (and if you've ever held one you know) it's bigger than the standard Colt Single Action Army or "Peacemaker"............Of course it doesn't have swing out cylinders, but then, I always thought of that as King's general ignorance of firearms.

I also have a predelection to the "man with no name gun"

http://www.teraasekeskus.com/tuottee...toolit&ID=3084

I like this one, because the inspiration for Roland came from the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and this is "The" Gun.

Well you are off to a good start.....

Along the Path of the Beam blaine is on a distinguished road

blankstare thats pretty close to what i imagined in my head when i picture rolands guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    I believe that we decided further back in this thread that Roland reloaded his own ammo which would explain why they ruined so easy when they got wet. A reloaded round is ruined easier because it is not sealed as well as a factory produced round.
    Not to be argumentative, but........

I reload my own ammo for .45 Colt (go price some and you'll see why) with the right crimping die, you can equal or exceed factory ammunition. Water has a nasty habit of getting into everything given the right conditions. Bullets as a general rule are not waterproof.

Of course I Try to ignore these technicalities and try to focus more on how to draw a 7 1/2 inch barreled single action revolver from my holster with lightning speed and shoot anything with any accuracy without really aiming!!!

Along the Path of the Beam blaine is on a distinguished road

http://www.teraasekeskus.com/images/...gerBisley2.jpg As you can see (and if you've ever held one you know) it's bigger than the standard Colt Single Action Army or "Peacemaker"............Of course it doesn't have swing out cylinders, but then, I always thought of that as King's general ignorance of firearms.

Well it is possible, but to do it you would have to be 7 feet tall to start........

All I have t say from the professional instructor standpoint.....

Natural point of aim, and a lot of practice......

Of course I was being facetious........somewhere between fantasy and reality.....But, in my own backyard with paper targets and waterfilled milk jugs............I am the man...

One thing I will say, the recoil from the standard 45 Colt is very manageable and it makes a big hole.......I wonder what Roland used to reload his ammo before he found the doors? Did he carry a Lee Loader and cast his own bullets?.............the questions never cease.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cort is on a distinguished road Cort's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by IWasSentWest View Post
    something like this...because roland is a badass and could carry two of these, no problem
    Awesom IWSW i was laughing my ass off

Ahh, in the early days they made a hand held press. Is essentially a shell holder with a lever attached to a plunger that pushes the primer in place. the bullet was seated with a die that would be pounded into place. Deprimeing was done with a punch..... Not conductive for long cartridge life.... Or good case necks....

Did we not have a thread ranting about Rolands ammo issues?....

I am going to have to look.....

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

My view:

Traveler MacarDeschain is on a distinguished road MacarDeschain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have shot black powder most of my Life and have done a lot of historical reenactment. Shoot my First gun at three Ruger Blackhawk (yes my dad was holding me up) Setting aside all mistakes Si Kings made of guns in the sires. I always saw the guns as colt walker conversion. Because of how big every one say how big the guns are in the books. I mean 5bls load and the most powerful had gun till the .357 magnum.

Along the Path of the Beam Claude Clay will become famous soon enough Claude Clay's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

this is what the early peoples used to reload when away from town.
    rather fits with Roland's style and water proof it ain't

reloaded ammo from my Dillon press occasionally gets washed and a trip through the drier.
    my mrs never checks my pockets!
    comes out real shinny and still fires like nothing happened.

machine vs a true hand load

I should upgrade to a dyilion than. Maybe just for the calender.. But the reloads out of my lee are not that water tight. Soft lead dose not seem to create that good of a seal. Heck I have had old factory ammo that went "FFFFFFfffffff" rather than bang. Mind you it was some abused lake city that was hanging off a M240 in Mosul for a few mouths... Thank god it was on the range.... It all depends on how it is abused and how good your cases are...

nice old hand press. Almost impossible to resize the cases without a bench! hope the cylinders on Roland's guns are still true and have no distortions that would play havoc with the fired cases.

Humm, a Walker with a .44mag conversion cylinder.... That could be fun. Absolute #$%^ to reload, but fun. Thought about getting one of those for my 1860 army, but have not tracked one down that would work well for me. Anyone have any input on these?

Traveler MacarDeschain is on a distinguished road MacarDeschain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lead dealer View Post
    Humm, a Walker with a .44mag conversion cylinder.... That could be fun. Absolute #$%^ to reload, but fun. Thought about getting one of those for my 1860 army, but have not tracked one down that would work well for me. Anyone have any input on these?
    Try These links, There costly but when it comes to guns whats not.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCUQrQQwAw

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9...RSION_CYLINDER

I do not much like R and D do to the way you have to take the cylinder off to reload. But I hope this will get you started.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Gunbroker.com is a good place to find parts as well.

I'm thinking about ordering me a couple of TT-33's right now. Very affordable guns, ammo is dirt cheap, and they're similar enough to a 9mm that my wife and I can plink all day and it'll help her stay sharp with her 9.

Ammo is dirt cheap, I'm finding 1224 rounds for 129 bucks. :O amazing.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

OUtch, the conversion cylinders cost more than what I payed for the pistols... If I could find the plans, I would make one from an existing cap and ball cylinder, A true "blacksmith conversion"... Just need the plans. Most of the original cartridge conversions have you still removing the cylinder to load them, or the frame is highly modified for a loading gate.

Gunbroker and Ebay, the bane of my existence... of course!

You will be happy with the tt-33's good guns, I have own several. Thin, easy to handel, A ball to shoot. Just watch out for the 7.62x25 you get avoid the yougo stuff it is loaded way to hot for the torkrev. And if needed there are 9mm conversion barrels out there.
    Just be carefully where you shoot it. it is a rather "fast" round clocking at from 1800 to 2600 fps! Depending on its loading. Some ranges do not like the new little wholes in their steel backstops.....than there is the splash back.... but if you need to punch through light armor......

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

lol, I'm glad. I wouldn't get the 9mm conversion anyway.

1, my wife and I already have 9's.

2. 7.62x25 ammo is DIRT CHEAP!

"So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Country
    Country Flag

7.62x25 ammo is DIRT CHEAP!
    now, yes.
    so buy 2 cases cause it will be double $ soon

CZ 52 is a better value--2 for the price of a tok,
    it will handle the hotter SMG ammo,
    1911 holsters fit it, and
    the 9mm bbl is a drop in part.

you are aware that mil-surp ammo for these guns are corrosive?
    and that being supersonic, many indoor ranges ban it

My Mood
    Breezy

2 for the price of a Tok? Where? I've seen CZ-82's for the same price, but 52's tend to be more expensive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast