Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Minor Antagonist--Nominations Closed

Satanic Mechanic B Rag will become famous soon enough B Rag's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tick Tock Man!!!!
    I think I'll fifth Gasher, too!
    Have you heard of people with short fuses? Well, I have no fuse at all, and there's a thousand could testify to it if I hadn't stilled their tongues for good.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker
    my itty bitty boy parts need the movie to grow
    You can't ignore my girth.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree Greta should be included in the vote. She's met all requirements for it. If people disagree she won't win. She may not even win my vote over the others in the end.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

as much as i disagree with the arguments made in her thread (ryan! ), i do agree that greta meets the criteria set forth herein for nomination. she needs to be listed. it was a serious nomination from the person who dislikes her most, and her nomination was seconded and thirded.

so, will she be listed?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ok, I will include Greta Shaw.

No, I didn't think it was a serious nomination, neither do I think so now. I think nominating her as an antagonist along with Gasher and Andy is making fun of Sai King as a writer. I will add her when I make updates tomorrow morning, though, since so many people think it should be done.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'll be sure to point out when I think your ideas are ridiculous in the future Jean or when I think they are making fun of Stephen King.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Now there is no need to act that way. You can make good points about your theories on Greta Shaw all day long, but it doesnt change the fact that to most people they are going to sound, in a word, ridiculous. It can be listed for voting for sure; that's not an issue. But there is certainly no reason that anyone has to be nasty about it. Opinions, assholes...all that jazz?

I mean if you have the right to say that you think she was so bad, everyone else has the right to tell you they think you're full of shit. You just have to make a better argument, which I understand you've been doing.

We need a "peace" smilie.
    Heng Dai

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Jean could have included her without the comments he made. The issue isn't particularly about Greta Shaw or my "ridiculous" ideas about her.

Your contention that they are ridiculous because I have a minority opinion is unfounded because the nomination was seconded and thirded. The Greta Shaw thread also attests that I'm not the only one who feels she is a minor antagonist. I was more than willing to debate her, which I was looking forwarded to. Now, not so much. You reminded me why I don't like to discuss things on here of any depth. I'll stick to video games.

I'd like to remove my nomination of her. You guys want to debate it? Have at it.

Her being nominated was an issue, Aaron. Jean refused, and then when confronted, relented, but not without saying that my opinion on the matter makes fun of King and should not be taken seriously. Again, he (as well as you) have the right to do so. I also have the right to remove myself from such discussion. Calling Jean out was not nasty, and your addressing of the situation was a little one sided, because my post was reciprocal and not initiatory.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Jean could have included her without the comments he made. The issue isn't particularly about Greta Shaw or my "ridiculous" ideas about her.

Your contention that they are ridiculous because I have a minority opinion is unfounded because the nomination was seconded and thirded. The Greta Shaw thread also attests that I'm not the only one who feels she is a minor antagonist. I was more than willing to debate her, which I was looking forwarded to. Now, not so much. You reminded me why I don't like to discuss things on here of any depth. I'll stick to video games.

I'd like to remove my nomination of her. You guys want to debate it? Have at it.

Her being nominated was an issue, Aaron. Jean refused, and then when confronted, relented, but not without saying that my opinion on the matter makes fun of King and should not be taken seriously. Again, he (as well as you) have the right to do so. I also have the right to remove myself from such discussion. Calling Jean out was not nasty, and your addressing of the situation was a little one sided, because my post was reciprocal and not initiatory.
    Oh my. This seems like so much drama for such a little thing. Your nomination has been entered, and that's what mattered. That was the issue. We're not going to take out the nomination, especially since it was seconded and thirded. But I would appreciate if we'd remove the drama from the thread. No need to respond to my post. Thanks!
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, this thread took a nasty turn. Anyhow, I would like to say that I had thought of alot of great characters from the Stand for nomination here. (Harold, Trashy, Nadine, Lloyd, etc) Then I wondered if any of these characters qualify as minor antagonist, as they are all manipulated by Flagg, which kind of makes them victems. Its similar to how the characters are used in Needfull things. That being said, I wanted to say Trashcan Man anyway, just because he is such a colorful character.

Anyhow, I would like to formally nominate Eldred Jonas

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To begin with, I have never called Ryan's, or anyone else's, opinion "ridiculous" either here or anywhere else. I would beg not to put anything in my, or, for that matter, anybody else's mouth. That said, I have no objection to the intention expressed below:
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I'll be sure to point out when I think your ideas are ridiculous in the future Jean or when I think they are making fun of Stephen King.
    I believe any exposure of my (or anybody's, actually) argument as poor in logic would only benefit a discussion, providing further challenge and food for thought.

Back to the question, though: I didn't add Greta to the nominations because I sincerely believed it was a joke. I am very sorry it wasn't, because she does not qualify as an antagonist. I have read the arguments made in Greta Shaw thread, and I have to say that it is largely based on two things: overinterpretation and a joke taken a step too far. Making either of them a ground for including a character into a site-large vote would mean stretching the very concept of category definition beyond common sense. There are lots of characters we are unhappy with; by the same logic, Patrick Danville could have been called an antagonist, which he is not.

If, however, we ever nominate "characters we're unhappy with", Greta Shaw would fit there perfectly, along with, for example, Frannie (whom some people hate), Danny Torrance's mother (whom I personally consider a prime bitch) or even Susan Delgado (whether or not her role in Roland's life was beneficial is highly questionable). I don't think anybody feels like adding them to the "antagonist" list - "bitch" is, actually, not synonymous to "antagonist"; adding Greta wouldn't differ in any way, except her having a long history of inside joke here, which I do not consider an adequate reason.

Now, if we include her here (which I am going to do as I said I would), it means she would supplant some bona fide antagonists, such as, for example, Craig Toomey, Eldred Jonas, Tick Tock Man, or Dandelo (the first two of whom I am seconding, by the way), because the poll will contain only 10 items. I beg those who have seconded her to think whether or not it would be fair.

Country
    Country Flag

Gasher 5
    Lloyd Henreid 3
    Nadine Cross 4
    Harold Lauder 3
    Patrick Hockstetter 3
    Sunlight Gardner 4
    Andy the robot 4
    Henry Bowers 5
    Craig Toomey 2
    Dandelo 1
    Trashcan man 5
    Carla Goldsmith (Frannie's mom) 1
    Detta Walker 1
    Greta Shaw 3
    Tick Tock Man 1
    Eldred Jonas 2

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

third eldred jonas

second carla goldsmith (frannie's mom)

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll throw in with Eldred and Tick-Tock.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm 5'ng Eldred Jonas.

Country
    Country Flag

Gasher 5
    Lloyd Henreid 3
    Nadine Cross 4
    Harold Lauder 3
    Patrick Hockstetter 3
    Sunlight Gardner 4
    Andy the robot 4
    Henry Bowers 5
    Craig Toomey 2
    Dandelo 1
    Trashcan man 5
    Carla Goldsmith (Frannie's mom) 2
    Detta Walker 1
    Greta Shaw 3
    Tick Tock Man 2
    Eldred Jonas 5

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominations for this category are closed.
    Heng Dai

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3