Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The 100 Greatest Singers Of All Time - Per Rolling Stone Magazine

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

There's a lot of good singers on this list but their organization is a bit mindboggling...

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    I only have one thing to say:
    [facepalm]
    And that says more than enough.

I suspect you will concur on this one Fruno... how did Frank and Napoleon not make this list? Well, I know they didn't make it because the writers at RS are a bunch of posers who wouldn't know real music if it smacked them upside the head, but a real list of the 100 greatest singers of any era would have both of those guys on it, especially Napoleon.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    For that matter, if it were all time, the only reason to discuss Aretha Franklin at all would be to figure out how far down the list to place her after Holliday, Bessie Smith, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald and Edith Piaf.:
    my eyes hurt to look at the list, so I used CTRL+F to see if Piaf was there... and her only appearance was in your post.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    my eyes hurt to look at the list, so I used CTRL+F to see if Piaf was there... and her only appearance was in your post.
    She's not in there, but like I said, it's because the list is not really of all time singers as they claim, but singers of the "rock era" by which I suspect they mean post 1956. 1956 was the year of the release of the first Elvis Presley album which is where most music writers begin the "rock era." Otherwise the exclusion of Piaf would be inexcusable.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

James Taylor? Was he on there?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    James Taylor? Was he on there?

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I only have one thing to say:
    [facepalm]
    And that says more than enough.

I suspect you will concur on this one Fruno... how did Frank and Napoleon not make this list? Well, I know they didn't make it because the writers at RS are a bunch of posers who wouldn't know real music if it smacked them upside the head, but a real list of the 100 greatest singers of any era would have both of those guys on it, especially Napoleon.
    Them +/- Ike, who showed amazing versatility from Joe's Garage on. Plus no Bryan Ferry, Geddy Lee, or Peter Gabriel on the list. It's just mind boggling at how shoddy their list is, but then again I'm not surprised. RS is still probably reeling from that fucking cigarette ad that single handedly raped indie music prison style [anything that tries to capitalize on Devendra Banhart, Dirty Projectors (who are NOT "spazz rock"), etc. is shit].
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I was thinking - Why James Taylor but not Carly Simon? Or Carole King? It's an odd list...

No Jon Bon Jovi, either.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Them +/- Ike, who showed amazing versatility from Joe's Garage on. Plus no Bryan Ferry, Geddy Lee, or Peter Gabriel on the list.
    All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    No Jon Bon Jovi, either.
    That I have no problem whatsoever with, especially if we are making room for people like Fruno suggested above, especially Bryan Ferry.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

The fact that Neil Young is on the list, and Ann Wilson is not.... that's all there is to that. Neil Young is an excellent song writer. But he is NOT that great of a singer. Ann Wilson has one of the most (if not THE most) powerful female voices ever. And Patti Smith is on the list instead?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd be interested to see the lists y'all would make if it was your choice who went into the top 100.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

Paul Rodgers at 55, Gregg Allman at 70 and is Jackson Browne on the list?

The only thing about lists like this is that it reflects whats popular and credible NOW. At least a lot of great singers are getting some degree of the respect they are due.

Unlike the greatest UK song poll I read a few years ago which had Robbie Williams' Angels as the greatest UK song, ahead of Stairway to Heaven, Hey Jude, Bohemian Rhapsody...

My Mood
    Gay

Though I admit I do like some Bon Jovi - I do think Jon Bon Jovi should be on the list. He's got a great rock voice ( it's the writing that really isn't all that great )... he nails a song, especially those power ballards!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

23 | David Bowie

Definitly...my favorite

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Someone posted this at my Tom Waits forum. It's Keith Richards' actual ballot for this poll. I give him credit for ranking Jimmy Cliff so high on his list (he is definitely one of the greatest singers ever) but I take away credit for voting for himself. Voting for one's self is a pretty cheesy thing to do. Also interesting that he voted for himself and not for Mick. Not that I disagree, I don't care for Jagger's voice either, but I'm not in his band.

My Mood
    Gay

I love that he's got Raitt on there, and Warren Zevon.

I can't believe he put himself on there.... has he lost his hearing?!?

If I had a ballot, it'd have looked like this...

(Notice that for me, "of all time" means "of all time")

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, at least neither you nor Keith voted yourselves as THE best.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I didn't vote for myself at all. That last box is for signature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2