Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Susannah *spoilers around*

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    Susannah is my favorite character.
    mine too, mine too!
    I knew there was a reason I love you so much!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Susannah as a gunslinger Odetta doesn't work for me.
    so do you see Susannah as a third unique personality?

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I thought her love with Eddie seemed forced. I thought that the romance between Roland and Susan was more realistic. And I guess I didn't like Susannah to some extent because she just kept coming up with new ways to be a burden.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Susannah is one of my favorite characters in the saga because of her amazing strength, and MPD in a woman turns me on. The amount of shit in her life that she went through before even meeting Roland and Eddie and how she came to terms with Detta and even looked at her as an allie..impressive...
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

When I read the books again I may come up with a different opinion, but that's how I came to feel.

I don't think she tried to be a burden. She overcame her trials with intelligence and creativity, but that may just be my first impression of her.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I thought her love with Eddie seemed forced. I thought that the romance between Roland and Susan was more realistic. And I guess I didn't like Susannah to some extent because she just kept coming up with new ways to be a burden.
    Oh wow, most of the people claim the opposite. That her love with Eddie was true love and the one between those two teenegers was just forced. For my part I don't think either of them was forced.
    Why do you think that anyway?
    Yes, Susannah and Eddie needed each other but it doesn't mean it was forced. Eddie fell in love with a kind gunslinger woman and Susannah strated to love Eddie because he saved her and maybe he was the first man in her life who really knew her and still could love her.
    So, dear Liz, why do you feel it was forced?

Roland would have understood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Better reply quickly Liz or Letti will sic her dog on you.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Susannah uses detta's strength when she has to as a defensive mechanism. Her mind has learnt these patterns from her Schism Days (you know, pathways are all there and whatnot).Odetta was the original person remember. Odetta became Susannah using this Detta character as a catalyst or constituent. Detta can come back if she's needed, but Odetta is gone.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I feel she might have had much more personalities than two but Detta and Odetta were the strongest.

This IS Susannah to me, I've finally found the perfect actress for her...not saying I want a movie made...but this is her to me -

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Who is that? I'd say thats her!

Sanaa Lathan....drop-dead gorgeous.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright, I remember her from Blade. I agree.

I've been wondering about an actress that would be able to play Susannah...funny considering I'm not keen at all about the Dark Tower series being made into movies.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

MAybe you were just looking for someone with the same atmoshere about them?

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To me, Susannah was my least favourite member of the ka-tet, but i still lvoed her. She was so complex and so loving towards Eddie.

Ladyhitchhiker i think it was said that her love for Eddie was forced, but, i believe, Odetta had fallen for Eddie, nothing as strong as love y'know but still had fallen for him, and because of Eddie's trust of her, and how Odetta got on more with him than Roland, i believe the love grew.

Also, i think, the reason Odetta isn't mentioned much after book two, is because Suze had more Odetta in her most of the time. I think Detta was like her anti-conscience, if you know what i mean, the voice in your head that tells you what to do, except, instead of thinking the correct way, they think the gunslinger way. Also, A mon avis (in my opinion- if you don't speak french) Detta was replaced with Roland when she went through the door. Roland's voice spoke up in her head telling her to throw the gun away, i think Detta was tied to Mid-world too much, were as Roland was tied too much to her life, so his voice popped up, instead of Detta saying "Throw that thin' away, girl"
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

It's always made me wonder why Susannah is so many folk's least favorite member of the ka-tet. She's my favorite BECAUSE of her complexity and how much she has gone through causing her MPD. Also, the whole Mia possessing her sub-plot and all its twists and turns and implications, is deeply FACINATING to me.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    It's always made me wonder why Susannah is so many folk's least favorite member of the ka-tet. She's my favorite BECAUSE of her complexity and how much she has gone through causing her MPD. Also, the whole Mia possessing her sub-plot and all its twists and turns and implications, is deeply FACINATING to me.
    I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I also agree with the actress that you say would make a perfect susannah.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was surprised to see on other threads that so many people dislike Susannah. I understand not liking her I think (bear with me), but actively disliking her seemed strange. She couldn't control much of what happened to her. I was actually glad that she left Roland. Why wouldn't she? Everyone knew he had to go by himself (and now we know why on that too).

And I don't think Odetta became Susannah, I remember... in either WotC or SoS... Susannah thinking that Odetta must have let Mia in. So I think Mia took Odetta's place and she was gone forever..

Also.. Sanaa Lathan would be a pretty good Susannah, but Kimberly Elise still has my vote as the best one. She might not be as pretty but I think she's a better actress.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Me neither. Odetta, as kind as she was, seems like a totally useless gunslinger. I understand that there are aspects to her personality that are beneficial (such as her kindness) but that's not the kind of woman I'd want at my side in a gunfight.

I love all the ka-tet but Susannah isn't my favorite.

Truth be told? I think I like Detta just as much as I like Susannah.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    Me neither. Odetta, as kind as she was, seems like a totally useless gunslinger. I understand that there are aspects to her personality that are beneficial (such as her kindness) but that's not the kind of woman I'd want at my side in a gunfight.
    but it is what I said. If Odetta suddenly acquired what it takes to be a gunslinger, she would become Susannah.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    but it is what I said. If Odetta suddenly acquired what it takes to be a gunslinger, she would become Susannah.
    Ohhhhhhh.

I was still glad to be rid of her.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Country
    Country Flag

I can't help I always liked Detta.

Traveler inkalilie is on a distinguished road

Do you think that Susannah changed over the course of the books? I mean, I know she didn't even exist until the end of The Drawing of the Three. At the beginning of The Waste Lands we see her as a combination of Detta's and Odetta's traits, but always something more (she says she's glad to be rid of the "foul-mouthed, cock-teasing thief" AND the "self-righteous, pompous prig"). Do you think her character changed after The Drawing of the Three, because of all her experiences (I'm thinking of her anger about Roland's tricks, Mia's intrusion, Eddie's death, etc. etc.)???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast