Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Protective Covers For Your Books

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    Does anyone cover/protect there softcover books? I am not thinking of the everyday paperback copies but those books that might have only been issued (or originally issued) as paperbacks (Colorado Kid, Bag of Bones 10th Anniversary, etc..) I see that Brodart has several choices for softcover books and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Also, what about hardcover books without DJ's, how do people protect those?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi Skippy, for the small paperback books and chapbooks and the like, some members here choose to simply use archival book bags that you can buy online or at most comic book stores.

As far as hardcovers without DJ's, I'll be interested in what other members have to say as well.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I got from Brodart the Plasti-kleer Dura Savers. I got these because they came in assorted sizes and some of the sizes can re-used for other books. The one I used on Bag of Bones 10th anniversary was the 10"H. The catalog number is 11065010.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    After two books, a question arises. Anyone with tips on how to avoid waves? I think I'm folding right and everything fits okay (there's even some extra at the ends, depending on how thick the book is). It's just that the jacket is no longer flat but a little wavy, if you know what I mean.
    When I had waves on my books, I always used a bone folder after I got the cover on the dust jacket. I would go over the entire cover and dust jacket with a bone folder just to make sure everything is nice and tight. Using a bone folder makes the covers nice and flat.

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    I need to purchase covers for all of my DJ's and start covering my books but I do have a question about some covers that are on a few books I have purchased. On all the covers I have the white paper that goes behind the DJ has the name of the company, item #, etc.. printed on the sheet. The ones from BrodArt appear to be printed on the paper which might be fine but I have some other covers from Demco that looks as though the information was stamped on the paper with an old fashion ink pad, not sure if this is the case but it is not a even,consistant color across the stamp so it looks like it was applied by hand. My concern is, will the ink over time rub off onto the book? Do I need to worry about this? Do I need to be worried about this with the other covers (BrodArt) as well where it appears to be printed on?
    I myself would prefer not to have any type of writing or stamp on the cover. I had my copy of From a Buick 8 gift edition come with a Demco cover with a stamp on it and I took it off. I did not want to risk such a rare book being ruined.
    When it comes to my book club editions or just plain reading copies, I don't care what is on the cover.

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope you don't mind me asking this question one more time to see if I can get a response. I was just wondering what people do, if anything, to protect their hardcover books that don't have DJ's. Brodart has a cover (Econo-Fold 10 601 102A) that they say can be used for hardcovers without DJ's but I am not sure how it would stay on the book.

Now that I have all of my hardcovers with DJ's finally protected I thought I would try and move on to some of the other books. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

For my books like The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer and Kingdom Hospital, I just put the entire book in one of my comic book bags. (Since they are both small.) I also use the size 9 dura cover for my other books without dust jackets.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've always used archival plastic bags for the books without dust jackets when warranted.

John

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Isn't it way easier to just put every book in an archival bag instead of going through the effort of 'brodarting' them all? Of course, they will most likely not fit as snug so you have a lot of extra material taking up space between the books... unless you pull the bag taut around the book and secure the surplus plastic of the bag with a paperclip at the site opposite the spine of the book... hmmm, just rambling here but that might be the way to go for me if I ever feel compelled to start the daunting task of providing my books with some means of protection...

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't use a paperclip. The metal could possibly damage the book or an adjoining book. I'd tighten the bag with tape.

John

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Of course you're right, John I was sort of thinking out loud as I've never really considered putting protective sleeves around my books (and hence, never thought about the practical side) but this could definitely something I'd give a try (the bags). I'm just not that fond of Brodart covers...

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Of course you're right, John I was sort of thinking out loud as I've never really considered putting protective sleeves around my books (and hence, never thought about the practical side) but this could definitely something I'd give a try (the bags). I'm just not that fond of Brodart covers...
    The books on the way to you have the Brodart covers already

I do have some of my collection in Archive bag. A little warning:

I use clear tape to seal the bag after I've pulled the bag tight around the book. If you ever need to take the book out for any reason, completely remove the tape.

I didn't do that on a bag, pulled the book out and didn't realize the tape had grabbed the back of the jacket. Yep, it pulled a very nice chunk of the jacket off. I learned a valuable lesson. Remove all tape before viewing the book.

It might sound like overkill but I have several in archive bags with a Brodart cover on them.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Country
    Country Flag

So it's actually quite common to bag the books? Is there any brand of archival bags you guys would recommend?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don;'t have set brand. I just buy whatever my comics store has.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's a question: how'd you guys go about Brodarting your Lisey's Story. I have these archival Brodarts but the DJ has a hole in it as part of the design. If I cover it the hole will be covered too...

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I did a cutout of the paper behind it. Looks great!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

You could buy paperless book cover film. Brodart has a listing on their website. They come in sheets or rolls just like the book covers that have paper backing.

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I just covered my copy of Just After Sunset, and used Brodart # 10-426-005.

This size (10" x 23") fits most of my Stephen King Scribner editions.
    are the Just-a-Fold III (Archival) good?
    I can't find any Premium Fold-on (Archival) 10"x23" (maybe it's not available at the moment)... but maybe these Just-a-Fold III are good enough and easy to use...

anyone tried them?
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is a link to the Brodart Fold-On Archival (10"x23") as noted in previous posts. I have not used the Just-a-Fold so I am not sure how good they are but the Fold-On Archival work great. I have used them to cover all of the books in my collection.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/shop/cb/p...dGrid_bookmark

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was looking on eBay and couldn't find.

I asked Broadart about international shipping a week ago, but had no answer. I think I'll ask again...

thanks!
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

What type of book covers do you like better; The covers with paper backing or the covers that are just plastic film and no paper backing?

Is it better for the dust jacket and book itself if the cover has a paper backing; does the paper backing prevent acid and other wear and tear?

I have both paper and paperless covers and I am not sure which type I should continue to buy? Is one type of book cover better than the other?

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've been using the ones with the paper covers. I like the way they feel. This is from the Gaylord website:

Would you like lined or unlined book jacket covers?
    Most Gaylord book jacket covers have a paper liner, which provides a very secure fit as well as added protection to the original jacket. Unlined book jacket covers are often used for books with no original jacket, such as leather bound books or for valued collections where paper liners are not preferred.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

As long as there is no printing on the paper or adhesive of any sort involved the paper lined ones should be fine I think. Adhesives and inks raise problems such as alkalinity/acidity and Ph over time. They can cause damage over time. I'm not sure if these are issues with the paper itself though it very well may be..
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been keeping some of my rare books that don't have a slipcase in the bubble wrap that it was shipped in to protect them. The Green Mile slipcase collection I keep in bubble wrap because I am afraid the cloth will get damaged. Is bubble wrap archival safe? Or is it a temporary solution?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As long as you don't 'pop it!' The bubble wrap will be fine for a decade or two.

Country
    Country Flag

If I were to protect an item like the GREEN MILE gift set (I don't) I would be probably tighten an archival bag around it instead of bubblewrap. At least you can still see it that way

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast