Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Protective Covers For Your Books

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Woohoo! My Brodarts shipped and should be here very soon. I'll let you guys know. I'll probably need help

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And they're here. That was fast.

I've already tried doing one cover, and am already stuck. Can tippy4 or anyone else who's got experience with these same covers PM me maybe to explain the basics? I mean I'm not stupid, I get how it's done, but I still get the white underpaper peeking through at the edges of the jacket, which is unseemly. I have books I bought with covers already on, and you can't even notice they're on. How do they do that?

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    And they're here. That was fast.

I've already tried doing one cover, and am already stuck. Can tippy4 or anyone else who's got experience with these same covers PM me maybe to explain the basics? I mean I'm not stupid, I get how it's done, but I still get the white underpaper peeking through at the edges of the jacket, which is unseemly. I have books I bought with covers already on, and you can't even notice they're on. How do they do that?

Did you mean on the front cover?. Like a white showing on the bottom or the top?. That is usually because the dustjacket was not pushed down to the edge of the bottom fold before the top is folded in, if it's at the top, then maybe a slightly larger Mylar migh be better as it could be folded to fit exactly the jacket.

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, I think I got it now. Had to push it all the way to the top and then fold the extra bottom portion down. I think I'm getting the hang of it, actually. The book feels a little fatter, kinda bunched up. I guess I need to crease the cover a bit more so it's flatter.

Country
    Country Flag

After two books, a question arises. Anyone with tips on how to avoid waves? I think I'm folding right and everything fits okay (there's even some extra at the ends, depending on how thick the book is). It's just that the jacket is no longer flat but a little wavy, if you know what I mean.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Brodart has links providing info on applying 10 different types of covers.
    Link to 10 choices

BTW, don't feel bad, I could never easily apply covers.
    Also, if this link is thought to be VERY uselful, perhaps we can put it in the first post.

Country
    Country Flag

The same instruction sheet is included in the pack of the covers. And I got the hang of it. Folded correctly, with nothing showing on the outside. Yet there's that waviness to the dust jacket now. I'm not sure I like it. Maybe the book needs some time on the shelf to get flat again?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's tough to comment without seeing what you are describing.
    Do you think the waviness is only the cover, or are you concerned the waviness will be transfered to tha actual DJ?

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that's exactly my concern. And I can't tell for sure. Perhaps it's just because the jacket is already bent and the cover is straight, and so there's that unevenness at first. Because, like I said, I've got books that I bought used and they were in covers and they were on there perfectly, like gloves. Maybe I just need more practice, or just time for the covers to flatten out. But yeah, I don't want to damage the actual jackets.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Don't fret, its certainly a learning curve. I found one of the first books I wrapped this morning, and theres a quarter inch top and bottom overlap - but now adays I can apply these in my sleep.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm thinking I need to trim off the excess and perhaps I've folded them a tad too tight trying to eliminate the white showing. This certainly is harder than I thought it would be. And the slit paper backing isn't helping. Why couldn't it have been whole?

P.S.: Very sorry to have hijacked the thread with my whining. I think I got it now, just needs firmed creasing, I think.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

The way you wrap the jacket and cover will affect the waviness as well.

First, I place the book in the middle of the cover and fold it in half around the book.

Then I fold in one side and then the other.

I have found that it gets wavy if you just start at one side and work your way to the other.

The whole process takes some getting used to. Try different things until you are happy with your results.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Country
    Country Flag

You mean like a dry run without the jacket, to pre-bend the cover? Sound advice, tippy, thank you!

P.S.: Just wanted to say I covered now a few of my oldest books, as well as Just After Sunset. The books look and feel amazing! These Brodart covers turned out to be just the thing, it only took a few tries to get it right. Well, nearly right. I still need practice, but the process is coming along nicely. I'm getting my technique

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

no...I mean put the jacket in the cover, and then center the book spine over the cover and fold it up like a taco.

Then fold one flap in and then the other.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    no...I mean put the jacket in the cover, and then center the book spine over the cover and fold it up like a taco.

Then fold one flap in and then the other.
    Oh yes, that's exactly how I've been doing it from the beginning. I didn't think there'd be another way. I'm just not a natural-born folder, is all

Country
    Country Flag

Been doing my books. Getting very good at it now. But a weird side-effect occurs, one I didn't foresee. The books become fatter as you cover them in these Brodarts, and so much so that I am forced to reshuffle my whole shelving. SO far I've finished one whole shelf, but the process moved one of the books to the next shelf. At first it became tighter and tighter and then I realized I needed more room because the covers added some thickness. But I didn't think so much. I had the original Stand there on the first shelf, since all my books are in order of publication, but now it'll need to go elsewhere, perhaps to my "miscellaneous" shelf, and I'll just do with the Uncut Stand on my main King shelf.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm nearly done covering my King books. This has been fun. I feel much better about them now. A question though: which size Brodart to order for the smaller-sized books, like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Blaze, or The Colorado Kid. I think they're all the same size, but they're shorter than most King hardcovers. I suppose I can use the same cover, but I feel it would add too much to the thickness, so is there a comparable size I should order?

Also, I always take the DJs off when reading a book. With the Brodart on, I'm thinking I should probably keep it on. How do you guys read your books? DJ on or off?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Well, I'm nearly done covering my King books. This has been fun. I feel much better about them now. A question though: which size Brodart to order for the smaller-sized books, like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Blaze, or The Colorado Kid. I think they're all the same size, but they're shorter than most King hardcovers. I suppose I can use the same cover, but I feel it would add too much to the thickness, so is there a comparable size I should order?

Also, I always take the DJs off when reading a book. With the Brodart on, I'm thinking I should probably keep it on. How do you guys read your books? DJ on or off?
    I keep three sizes of dj covers, 9",10" and 12". The smaller two sizes fit most every book in my collection. I rarely need the 12" except for something like the hardcover edition of THE CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF, SKELETON CREW S/L, etc.

I read with the dj on.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad to read of your progress, pablo.

I also read with the dj on.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

I'll also go ahead and cover my Michael Crichton hardcovers, most of which are first editions actually. Some of the earliest ones have somewhat non-mint DJs, and I feel Brodarting them will actually make the look better.

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Got my brodart covers in yesterday. Ordered a 25 pack of the reccommended size. Wrapped about 5 books tonight and the tips from this thread really helped alot!

Made sure I had the DJ nice and snug against that bottom crease, then folded excess top mylar down and creased it with my fingernail. Then I set the book on its spine, folded the covered DJ like a taco around the book, and then folded in each flap. Worked perfectly. The bottom edge is nice and clean, and the tops have little to no extra mylar stickup.

Thanks!

Country
    Country Flag

Great job! Took me about 5 books as well to really get the hang of it. Now I just need to find some extra time to finish the job, as I have about 10 or so King books left to cover, and then I need to order some more for the smaller books.

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I need to purchase covers for all of my DJ's and start covering my books but I do have a question about some covers that are on a few books I have purchased. On all the covers I have the white paper that goes behind the DJ has the name of the company, item #, etc.. printed on the sheet. The ones from BrodArt appear to be printed on the paper which might be fine but I have some other covers from Demco that looks as though the information was stamped on the paper with an old fashion ink pad, not sure if this is the case but it is not a even,consistant color across the stamp so it looks like it was applied by hand. My concern is, will the ink over time rub off onto the book? Do I need to worry about this? Do I need to be worried about this with the other covers (BrodArt) as well where it appears to be printed on?

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    I need to purchase covers for all of my DJ's and start covering my books but I do have a question about some covers that are on a few books I have purchased. On all the covers I have the white paper that goes behind the DJ has the name of the company, item #, etc.. printed on the sheet. The ones from BrodArt appear to be printed on the paper which might be fine but I have some other covers from Demco that looks as though the information was stamped on the paper with an old fashion ink pad, not sure if this is the case but it is not a even,consistant color across the stamp so it looks like it was applied by hand. My concern is, will the ink over time rub off onto the book? Do I need to worry about this? Do I need to be worried about this with the other covers (BrodArt) as well where it appears to be printed on?
    If you are worried there are some from Brodart that are specifically archival and have no printing on the back.

Realisticly though, it would probably take hundreds of years for any significant damage to be cause by the ink.

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone cover/protect there softcover books? I am not thinking of the everyday paperback copies but those books that might have only been issued (or originally issued) as paperbacks (Colorado Kid, Bag of Bones 10th Anniversary, etc..) I see that Brodart has several choices for softcover books and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Also, what about hardcover books without DJ's, how do people protect those?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast