Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: HOW TO: Protective Covers For Your Books

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Brodart covers are great, but for the best protection you can't do better than Buffy.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

If Buffy gets mad, does he slash at your books?
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Oh no. In every generation there is a chosen one. She alone will stand against the vampires the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the slayer.

So yeah, only the vampires, demons and forces of darkness... not books...

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

She's probably more there to keep all those things inside of said books. Can't have 'em running around Paul's place all amuck .
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Oh no. In every generation there is a chosen one. She alone will stand against the vampires the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the slayer.

So yeah, only the vampires, demons and forces of darkness... not books...
    There's a lot of evil in them books. Just saying
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Keep the boxes of books well below 35 LBS. each. Tall boxes will eventually topple (unless you personally pack, load, carry, unload, unpack each box). The heavier the box the more likely somewhere along the line that it will be dropped, slid, thrown over, etc.
    Thanks guys. These are small boxes for moving only and I'll be the only one handling them. 16" by 12" by 12". Makes me nervous moving as this will be the first time I have ever done something like this. Being anal with all of them. Hundreds of feet of bubble wrap for sure!
    If curious, I unpacked my books after packing them over 6 weeks ago. No damage. Guess I did it right. But wow, summers in Florida are crazy hot. Shocked my books didn't melt.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The average normal temperature in Central Florida this time of year is 92°. Add the high humidity and it "feels like" over 100°.

The fact that it's been hotter than normal doesn't help either.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    The average normal temperature in Central Florida this time of year is 92°. Add the high humidity and it "feels like" over 100°.

The fact that it's been hotter than normal doesn't help either.
    I was in Florida last winter for 3 months working on the place I was moving into. The winter was warmer then normal. In Ohio, it was an amazing 40-50 degrees many weeks. That's my type of weather. So I try to hide in the A/C as much as possible now. I move and sweat! Some guys were talking about Maine and King's neighbor's house for sale and about no A/C up there because it never gets that warm. Sounds like my place to move to next if things go my way .

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    I store my really expensive books in waterproof containers from The Container Store.

Are these the 40.00 a piece ones from the site? I'm looking into purchasing containers for "what ifs" now as a precaution because of where I live .

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Reading through this looking for recommendations on Brodart (or that type) of covers to add to about 1200 different sized books. Is it still consensus to buy direct from Brodart or is something else working for anyone? Also, is anyone aware of a good pricing on variety size pack? Thanks
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like the Brodart covers. There is another brand that some people use. I can't recall right now what that is.

You can get rolls in various sizes if you can cut them yourself. That's the most economical way.

Wait until they have a 40% off sale and then buy more than you need.

At least that's what I do.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use Demco.
    I didn't receive an order from Brodart once and they were like tough shit. We sent it. So, I found someone just as good.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the Brodart covers. There is another brand that some people use. I can't recall right now what that is.

You can get rolls in various sizes if you can cut them yourself. That's the most economical way.

Is that sale random or on holidays? That’s perfect idea, thanks!
    Seeking:

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post

Is that sale random or on holidays? That’s perfect idea, thanks!
    They have 25% off quite often. I think the last 40% off was Cyber Monday.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Extremely helpful, thanks!
    Seeking:

Gunslinger Apprentice Kraken has a spectacular aura about Kraken has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Can anyone recommend a supplier for an archival roll for dust jackets in the UK
    I’m currently using https://kpc-ltd.com/product/clearcover/
    But am thinking it’s a bit too thick
    Any recommendations appreciated.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Are you using the 10 mil and finding it thick?

Gunslinger Apprentice Kraken has a spectacular aura about Kraken has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

To be honest I’m not sure if it’s 10 mil or not.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    I’ve been using this. Not real sure of the thickness but they do have other thickness options. And probably on the pricier side but I like it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grafix-Clea...gateway&sr=8-1

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks I’ll give it a go

My Mood
    Confused

I ordered the Brodart 300’ roll that is 14” in width and 2 mil thick. I wanted to wrap all books that don’t have jackets. Took a long day to do so, but I believe I finished my books today. There were several options to do this online but I went with cutting the length I wanted then cutting the length of the book so the only fold was on the turn in. This elevated multiple folds and cuts. It was tedious but it worked out pretty well. I guess I bought too much plastic lol.

My Mood
    Confused

Question.
    If a cloth book or slipcase has sun damage, can that be repaired or fixed, or is it destroyed and there is nothing you can do. Thanks

Country
    Country Flag

Question.
    If a cloth book or slipcase has sun damage, can that be repaired or fixed, or is it destroyed and there is nothing you can do. Thanks
    Nothing you can do.

My Mood
    Confused

Question.
    Nothing you can do.
    Thought so, thanks!

Country
    Country Flag

Question.
    Nothing you can do.
    Thought so, thanks!
    A professional restoration of the item might be possible if it was a highly valuable item. It would then forever be restored and not original. Also the cost is prohibitive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11