Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic & Foreign Films

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Golden Oldie Movie Discussion

OK, I’m a movie geek. My bride and I went to an old (renovated) movie palace to see this fantastic 1948 classic comedy. This theater shows newly released films on most nights, but on some afternoons and some mornings they show old films. I’ve seen “Citizen Kane” there, “March of the wooden soldiers” (babes in Toyland) and many others. There is a Wurlitzer organ that is in fantastic shape and there is always someone there playing music as you enter the theater. It is definitely a throwback to a 1940’s movie experience.

Today was the Abbot and Costello film. What made this even more special was the display of the cape that Bela Lugosi wore for the film. Here’s the best picture I could get of it. This piece of wardrobe is 59 years old and in fantastic shape.

Next week we’re going to see the “The seventh voyage of Sinbad” and on December 15th we’ll see “It’s a wonderful life”. Along with the organ that day there will also be a 4 piece horn section playing Christmas Carrols. If you are in the New York/New Jersey area I highly recommend looking into this. If you aren’t in this area Maybe you could find a similar program in your own area. It’s a great way t spend some time with friends and seeing these movies in a theater is better than at home on DVD.

That’s all. I just needed a place to glow.

Last edited by Darkthoughts; 09-01-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is hands-down my favorite Abbott and Costello film, and I pretty much love 'em all. It's just not Halloween until I've watched it for the umpteenth time.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen any of these Abbot And Costello movies in years. I miss them. I wish we had a theater like that. I need that cape.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Just moved this to Fedic being movie related, also added to the title as this is a great thread idea

That sounds so cool Harrald, we don't even have a regular theatre in my nearest town

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am a film geek. Creating an oldie movie thread is asking me to be obnoxious. Oh wel, you started it!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    <SNIP>>

That sounds so cool Harrald, we don't even have a regular theatre in my nearest town

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hit me.

Besides Bud and Lou, I also worship at the altar of the Marx Brothers.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I LOVE Abbot and Costello! It's been YEARS since I've seen those movies! Good times, good times.

I also love all those old Vincent Price horror movies L O O S E L Y based on Poe classics. Man, I miss those. Amazon, here I come!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love all old black-and-white movies. I watch tons of them. Only yesterday watched Capra's Arsenic and Old Lace for the 15,000th time

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I used to be obsessed with black and white movies as a little kid (and old b&w series). There was a rule in my parent's house that at 6pm, if we (my sisters and I) got to the tv first we could watch our programmes - but if my folks got there we had to watch the news. It just so happened that at 6pm BBC2 used to show reruns of shows like Charlie Chan, Tarzan, Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd - so I made it my mission to beat my parents to the tv. I also loved Champion The Wonder Horse which was shown on Saturday mornings

In the daytime I'd watch the matinee movies, I loved stuff like Brief Encounter, A Hasty Heart, Calamity Jane, The Ladykillers (the original - I won't go near that dreadful Tom Hanks remake!!) and of course the St Trinian's films. I'll be back with more - Harrald, you're not alone ...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Ladykillers! With Sir Alec Guinness, right? and Cecil Parker, Peter Sellers and that terrific Katie Johnson? I love that movie, I have it on tape (along with about 300 others of approximately the same kind).

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The very same Jean - its marvellous isn't it

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love March of the Wooden Soldiers. I put that one in every christmas morning. It just doesn't feel like christmas otherwise.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yesterday was great. The "Sinbad" movie was great to see in a theater filled with people. Listening to the kids laugh at the jokes or "Ohhhh and Ahhhh" at the monsters makes these kinds of events loads of fun.

Next week the 1949 classic "ALL THE KING’S MEN". A great old film. The new one on the other hand....not so good. And no It wasn't all Sean Penn... I didn't think Jude Law tried very hard.
    Insert witty comment here.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Classic & Foreign Films

I have recently developed an interest in asian movies. As of this moment, I have an extremely limited repertoire, with only Yojimbo and Seven Samurai under my belt. I'm hoping to remedy this quickly, with your help!

I know that there are a couple of asian movie buffs around here, so I'm looking to you guys for help - which movies should I start off with? The two movies that have caught my eye right now are Old Boy and Lady Vengeance. I plan to watch Battle Royale somewhere down the line, as I'm a fan of the book.

What other recommendations can you guys give me?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    If you liked Kill Bill, check out Lady Snowblood. It should look somewhat familiar in places.

And DEFINITELY check out Yojimbo to see where Sergio Leone got an idea or two.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I've seen Yojimbo already. And while it's true that Leone's westerns waere influenced by Yojimbo, did you know that Yojimbo was influenced by westerns?

And thank you, I will definitely check out Lady Snowblood.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I only saw it once, when it was released here in theaters. I don't remember much of it, but I do remember being severely impressed with the cinematogrophy and choreography (sp?) of the action sequeinces.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Definitely check out Battle Royale. I thought you had already seen it for some reason.
    My Asian film viewing has pretty much just been limited to the horror genre. But if you do like horror, a few of my favorites would be Infection, and The Eye.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I have recently developed an interest in asian movies. As of this moment, I have an extremely limited repertoire, with only Yojimbo and Seven Samurai under my belt. I'm hoping to remedy this quickly, with your help!

I know that there are a couple of asian movie buffs around here, so I'm looking to you guys for help - which movies should I start off with? The two movies that have caught my eye right now are Old Boy and Lady Vengeance. I plan to watch Battle Royale somewhere down the line, as I'm a fan of the book.

First thing, Old boy and Lady Vengeance belong to a trilogy starting with Sympathy for Mister Vengeance so if you'd like to see them, try and see them in that order. I'd recommend Battle Royale but never the second one coz it was crap. Then, you can go on and watch some samurai films (Gohatto is a good choice, in my opinion, if you're familiar with the subject) or Kim Jee-Hoon's films (A tale of 2 sisters...) or even Takashi Miike if you like strange movies (The box is a magnificent film although kind of creepy). Any Park Chan-Wook as well or any film starring Maggie Cheung, just because she's gorgeous !
    For a start, I'd recommend Korean films since there are so many and most of them aren't too complicated, even though you might find them kinda slow.
    That's it for me !

Citizen of Gilead stone, rose, unfound door is on a distinguished road stone, rose, unfound door's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Have you seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?
    I'd forgotten about this one ! If you liked it, check Hero. It's another beautiful more or less kung-fu film.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I generally don't like most asian movies that I've seen. The one exception I've seen is that I love everything I've seen by Takashi Miike.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

er... do we put Kurosawa under "Asian"? Looks like he is his own category...

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    er... do we put Kurosawa under "Asian"? Looks like he is his own category...
    He could definitely be his own category and I would recommend almost all of his films to anyone. I just know Feev likes Leone's "Dollars Trilogy" so I figured he'd want to see where a good deal of Fistful of Dollars came from.

Quote Originally Posted by stone, rose, unfound door View Post
    If you liked it, check Hero. It's another beautiful more or less kung-fu film.
    Indeed, Hero is an excellent film, and visually spectacular. Another stunning film by its director, Zhang Yimou, is House of Flying Daggers. This is a powerful film and it looks more like moving paintings than it does a film. Yimou has made several other excellent films as well as these two.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast