Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic & Foreign Films

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup I have that on my very long to-watch list

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I'll pick the following five to be nominated:
    • Wild Tales – Argentina
    • Tangerines – Estonia
    • Timbuktu – Mauritania
    • Ida – Poland
    • Leviathan – Russia

Ida will win.
    Looks like I was right:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...academy-awards

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll pick the following five to be nominated:
    • Wild Tales – Argentina
    • Tangerines – Estonia
    • Timbuktu – Mauritania
    • Ida – Poland
    • Leviathan – Russia

Ida will win.
    Looks like I was right:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...academy-awards
    Nice job, you'd know more than most regarding that category. That's kind of your area of expertise. Of the films nominated, Ida is the one I want to watch the most. I heard good things about Force Majeure, but it didn't get nominated. Leviathan looks good too,.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sticking to my pick to win, but very much looking forward to checking out Timbuktu. The trailer is fantastic and the film looks great. All of these look very interesting, including Tangerines, and those that were shortlisted but weren't nominated. Not to mention some great ones that were left off the Academy's short list entirely but I'm still eager to check them out.

The only way Ida loses is if the Academy goes for an ongoing political message, in which case the Oscar could go to either Leviathan (Russia under Putin) or Timbuktu (ISIS and such).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to watch Leviathan. Sounds awesome.

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if it'll get a somewhat wide release but it's playing at the Film Forum in NYC right now. I may go check it out.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Why aren't we talking about this movie

Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter (2014)

The story is based around the urban legend surrounding the death of Takako Konishi. It was reported in the media that she had died trying to find the treasure depicted in the 1996 film Fargo. In actuality, she committed suicide.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a truly great film

Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    This is a truly great film

It's one of the advantages of watching foreign films that you can maybe get more perspective on your own culture. I hope that nobody watching A Separation just dismisses the legal system of Iran, but instead also reflects upon how other codes of law may try to deal with the complexities of our lives.

Country
    Country Flag

I posted the trailer for Kumiko in the trailer thread a while back.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Oh bloody hell ... if you guys didn't like it, what chance do I possibly have?
    I know this was posted three years ago but did you ever watch Breathless and what did you think of it if you did? I dig it myself.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember specifics, but I do remember having an all around enjoyment of it.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    It's one of the advantages of watching foreign films that you can maybe get more perspective on your own culture.
    Absolutely, that's one of the things I most enjoy about watching foreign films. Some things that are taboo in the U.S simply aren't for other countries, which shines through in their art.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

So Cannes Film Festival is going on right now.

One of the films that is now on my radar is the latest offering by Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos (whom directed Dogtooth, which as you guys know I absolutely adore) The Lobster. Check out this synopsis, "A near-future-set tale about a world where citizens must choose a mate or be turned into animals".

'The Lobster' Cannes Review

Country
    Country Flag

Can't wait to see the trailer!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Sounds interesting.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    So Cannes Film Festival is going on right now.

One of the films that is now on my radar is the latest offering by Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos (whom directed Dogtooth, which as you guys know I absolutely adore) The Lobster. Check out this synopsis, "A near-future-set tale about a world where citizens must choose a mate or be turned into animals".

'The Lobster' Cannes Review
    Anything coming from the guy who directed Dogtooth is bound to be interesting.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Just watch Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal for the first time Sunday night. It's a truly fantastic film, probably the best yet from what I've seen of Bergman. Very strong cinematography and themes. Also amazing contrast in styles, some great comedic parts juxtaposed with incredibly dark imagery. The characters and themes (mortality, faith, acting) tend to make for some interesting scenes that borderline break the fourth wall.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...-time.html?a=1
    The era of silent cinema was one of the most creative periods in human history. In not much more than 30 years, a new visual vocabulary was invented, explored to the fullest and even deconstructed. Genres formed as the medium was used for entertainment, politics, education, propaganda and experimentation. The challenge of visual storytelling without sound pushed filmmakers to find new ways to tell stories and communicate ideas.

This list is an attempt to highlight the best silent films, not the most historically significant ones. That’s not to say there’s not overlap, or that historical context can’t play a part in greatness, just that it wasn’t a sole qualifying factor. There are plenty of gems and highly influential titles not on this list, and you never know what will rise up from an archive somewhere, so don’t be afraid to explore. And if you have a chance to see a silent film in the theater with live accompaniment, take it.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...-time.html?a=1
    This list is an attempt to highlight the best silent films, not the most historically significant ones....
    Silent Films, huh? Haven't seen all that many; from memory, here's what I've seen:

Battleship Potemkin
    The Birth of a Nation
    Robin Hood
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    The Phantom of the Opera
    Nosferatu
    Metropolis
    Diary of a Lost Girl
    Pandora’s Box
    The General
    and several of Ozu's silent films; A Story of Floating Weeds and I Was Born, But... being my favorites

All of these I would rate as 4 or 5 stars; these are great films!

So recently (like within the last 2 months), I've been on a Cecil B. de Mille silent film kick. I've seen:

Don't Change Your Husband
    The Golden Chance
    Male and Female
    Old Wives for New
    The Whispering Chorus
    Why Change Your Wife?
    Miss Lulu Bett
    (I believe Cecil produced this for his brother)

I very much enjoyed all of these.

Recommendations welcome.

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely see some of the Top 30 in the list above: The Big Parade, Greed, Sunrise, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Crowd, Faust, The Man Who Laughs...

Anything with Lon Chaney!

and if you find LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT...LET ME KNOW.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Anything with Lon Chaney!

and if you find LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT...LET ME KNOW.
    And let Ted Turner know so he can finally actually share it with the world on TCM!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast