Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: METALLICA

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default METALLICA

I've heard mixed reactions on the new cd death magnetic.For me its thier
    best offering since the black album,i've listened to nothing else for the past
    2 weeks.
    Well worth the wait.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, they certainly couldn't do worse than St. Anger. Nor could a group of five year olds. That was abysmal. I actually like the new one. It reminds me of their older stuff alot....you know back when they were good.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I値l be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Dave! is on a distinguished road Dave!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with the St. Anger. I bought the CD, thinking that all the songs just might rock like St. Anger did. I loved the video and the song. Bought the CD. Pretty much poop in a jar other than that one song. Black was a great one. Came out at just the right time in my youth. (Playing it right now actually! you guys inspired me! haha!) Haven't heard any of the new one yet. Might have to go check that out soon. Especially if it sounds more like the older stuff.
    Because of you I'm Alive. For you I'm awake-Godsmack

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

I will fear no evil. Cuz I'm the baddest muthafucker in the valley-Jarhead

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You should. I've been listening to Metallica pretty much since they started. When St. Anger came out I was nearly nauseous. I think I gave away my copy. I think who ever recieved it for free probably hates me now for giving it to them. I can't say I blame them. I SOoo wanted to send James a fifth with my copy of the CD and a note telling him that clearly he should reconsider the whole sobriety thing.

The new one is definitely worth a listen. I like it quite a bit. It's nothing groundbreaking or anything, but it's a solid Metallica record.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I know the feeling. I thought seriously of sitting my copy out at 1000 yards and using the .50 cal to see if it sounded better shattering into a million pieces. Probably would have.
    How would you say the new songs rate against "One" (prolly the best song they made, in my opinion)?

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that ain't my favorite song (though I like it a hell of alot), but that's a comparison I wouldn't want to make. As much as I like Newsted. Metallica with Burton was at their best in my opinion. If you ask me to compare it all I can tell you really is when you first hear it you know it's Metallica.

When I first heard it I could have shot the band with that .50 cal of yours. They were a much younger me's favorite band. My heart broke a little when I heard that album ...and I was so excited when I first got it because I knew
    Spoiler:
    thought wrongly
    they could do no wrong.

If you rescue me

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see why so many people were pissed off when St. Anger was released. Granted, I'm not a Metallica fan-at least, in the sense that I go out and purchase their albums-so I probably have a much different perspective than the rest of you, but from the five or six tracks I listened to at the time, that was a pretty good CD. Plus, it coincided with a brilliant documentary.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's because compared to every other Metallica album it was quite bad, IMO. It was nowhere near on a level with what they'd already done. For me at least the documentary was by far superior to the album it accompanied. I hated it (minus one track) before I even knew other people did.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, but most albums suck.

TMBG is one of my favorite bands, and I think Lincoln and their second album-I forget the name-are the only two that I would consider 'great,' which I define as a record where more than half of the tracks are worth listening to. Any record where half, or more, of the songs are listenable is a good one, IMO. Splinter is a horrible album, i.e. one where three or less songs are worth listening to.

This is why the record industry would have died out even if a plausible way to stop illegal downloading existed, because no one is going to waste 15-20 bucks buying an entire album when he or she could just buy the one or two songs they want to listen to on iTunes.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Yeah, but most albums suck.

TMBG is one of my favorite bands, and I think Lincoln and their second album-I forget the name-are the only two that I would consider 'great,' which I define as a record where more than half of the tracks are worth listening to. Any record where half, or more, of the songs are listenable is a good one, IMO. Splinter is a horrible album, i.e. one where three or less songs are worth listening to.

This is why the record industry would have died out even if a plausible way to stop illegal downloading existed, because no one is going to waste 15-20 bucks buying an entire album when he or she could just buy the one or two songs they want to listen to on iTunes.
    TMBG is also one of my favorite bands. ...but wasn't Lincoln their second album? It's certainly my favorite, but I enjoy most of what they did at least early on. IMO, Lincoln was their greatest.

The problem is when your idea of what's great is applied to Metallica (for me at least) probably about 90% of their output qualifies prior to that album. Whereas that album for me was mostly unlistenable.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Ahh yes. Heard one of the new songs last night at a pool hall. It rocked, the drums were great, ect. Couldn't tell you the name of the song at all, but it was good, and like the old stuff. Kudos there in your Briceoushness, sir!

*ALL opinion from here on out*

And I agree very much that if you get a majority of the tracks on a release that are good, then you have a rarity. I have found a few over the years, Lincoln Park is one band that consistently does pretty well with that. Alice in Chains was another. 3 doors Down, Counting Crows, Godsmack, the list goes on, in my opinion.
    I have had CD's where there was one or two songs that were great, but the rest just kinda left me wondering "OK, at some point these guys heard this and thought 'yep, that's good enough now. let's put it on the CD.' And a producer agreed." How the hell someone didn't stand up and let them know that it was garbage, I don't know.

No offense to anyone who disagrees here, but Coldplay is an example. I absolutely love some of their songs. The good ones have an excellent talent and sometimes I can't get over how good they are. Got all of their CD's. Pretty much the songs on the radio rotations aer the good ones. The rest are just too far out there, or the vocals just plain bite, to me. Blind Melon is another (with all due respect to the late Mr. Hoon). Loved the release with the Bee girl on the front. "Tones of home" was a great song that gave me chills every time I heard it. Love the entire CD. Then I got "SOUP" when it came out and was like "WTF?". It blowed!
    Anyways, got a lil off topic there. Sorry. But yeah, gonna check out that new Metallica. It shows promise.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

TMBG is also one of my favorite bands. ...but wasn't Lincoln their second album? It's certainly my favorite, but I enjoy most of what they did at least early on. IMO, Lincoln was their greatest.
    You're probably right. I listened to it as part of a compilation disc-which had sixty or so songs, incuding a bunch from Dial-a-Song-so I could be wrong.

I bought every one of their albums up to Mink Car-and I bought their first children's CD for my nephew-but haven't kept up with their stuff the past few years.

Country
    Country Flag

OK I'm gonna go ahead and feel stupid here and show a weakness in my musical knowledge. Who is TMBG? I hate not knowing a band. I could be missing out on musical genius here and never would have known...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

They Might Be Giants

Some of their stuff is positively genius...though they are very quirky and silly. They may or may not suit your tastes. I think they're one of those bands which you either love or hate. There isn't a middle ground.

And Ruthful: Yeah, Lincoln was their second after their self titled. I used to have that compilation you're talking about. I haven't kept up with most of what they've done since John Henry myself.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

quirky and silly like Cake? Or Primus? I absolutely love Cake, so if it's along those lines then I'll definately give it a listen.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dave! View Post
    I bought the CD, thinking that all the songs just might rock like St. Anger did. I loved the video and the song. Bought the CD. Pretty much poop in a jar other than that one song.
    I totally agree, but I'd put "Frantic" in place of "St. Anger". Yelling "flush it out" over and over is more indicative of an old person cleansing their colon than anything that "rocks", unless maybe you're speaking of kidney stones.

Country
    Country Flag

They Might Be Giants

Some of their stuff is positively genius...
    The sun is a mass
    of incandescent gas
    a gigantic nuclear furnace
    where hydrogen is built into helium
    at temperatures of millions of degrees

and how can we forget......

You're older than you've ever been
    and now you're even older,

and now you're older still!

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Blind Melon is another (with all due respect to the late Mr. Hoon). Loved the release with the Bee girl on the front. "Tones of home" was a great song that gave me chills every time I heard it. Love the entire CD. Then I got "SOUP" when it came out and was like "WTF?". It blowed!
    Anyways, got a lil off topic there. Sorry. But yeah, gonna check out that new Metallica. It shows promise.
    Blind Melon is horrific.

I listened to a video of their cover of "Luka" that made me want to projectile vomit.

I have no idea why Suzanne Vega wouldn't come after them and commit multiple homocide after she heard that.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

quirky and silly like Cake? Or Primus? I absolutely love Cake, so if it's along those lines then I'll definately give it a listen.
    No, quirky and silly like noone you've probably ever heard before. IMO, they are almost they're own genre. And very smart too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    They Might Be Giants

Some of their stuff is positively genius...
    The sun is a mass
    of incandescent gas
    a gigantic nuclear furnace
    where hydrogen is built into helium
    at temperatures of millions of degrees

and how can we forget......

and now you're older still!

Once a boy named Mister Me bemoaned a great regret
    I've floundered in the misty sea, but can't abide its mystery
    I wound up sad, you bet

So onward go and Edward Ho into the bounding main
    Enjoy the show look out below but mind the misty sea
    Or end up sad like Mister Me

He ended up sad
    He ended up sad
    He ended up really, really, really sad
    He ended up sad
    He ended up sad

So take the hand of Mister Me and mister, make him glad
    To swim the Mister Misty Sea and cease the Mister Mystery
    That mister, made him sad

He ended up sad
    He ended up sad
    He ended up sad
    He ended up sad

He ended up sad
    He ended up sad
    He ended up sad
    He ended up sad

...and...

When I was only a zygote
    I still remember the time
    When there was nothing to know or to think about
    Except the sound of my mind
    And the sound from outside

SenSurround
    Down at the bottom
    Sensible to ear and sternum
    And the world first spoke to me in SenSurround

If mom had known she was expecting
    She might have gone to see Jaws
    Instead of picking a film where the sound effects
    Came right up through the floor
    And I'd be differently formed

SenSurround
    Down at the bottom
    And the world first spoke to me in SenSurround.

Accidently in a coal mine it was found
    When they accidently dug too far down
    And found the SenSurround

I still don't know who conceived it
    Or where they got the idea,
    But there it was in the aisle by the exit sign
    A woofer covered in wood
    to shake the room when it should

SenSurround
    Down at the bottom
    Made the fakeness realistic
    When the action went ballistic
    One degree shy of sadistic

If I could swim under the water
    without having to breathe
    If I could follow the trail to the ocean floor
    I think I'd know what there'd be
    Down there waiting for me

SenSurround
    Down at the bottom
    Made the fakeness realistic
    When the action went ballistic
    One degree shy of sadistic

...and...

Love sees love's happiness
    But happiness can't see that love is sad
    That love is sad
    Sadness is hanging there
    To show love somewhere something needs a change
    They need a change

They'll need a crane, they'll need a crane
    To take the house he built for her apart
    To make it break it's gonna take a metal ball hung from a chain
    To pick the broken ruins up again
    To mend her heart, to help him start to see a world apart from pain

Lad's gal is all he has
    Gal's gladness hangs upon the love of lad
    The love of lad
    Some things gal says to lad aren't meant as bad
    But cause a little pain
    They cause him pain

Don't call me at work again no no the boss still hates me
    I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore
    And there's a restaurant we should check out where
    The other nightmare people like to go
    I mean nice people, baby wait,
    I didn't mean to say nightmare

Lad looks at other gals
    Gal thinks Jim Beam is handsomer than lad
    He isn't bad
    Call off the wedding band
    Nobody wants to hear that one again
    Play that again

They'll need a crane

...and...

Don't don't don't let's start
    This is the worst part
    Could believe for all the world
    That you're my precious little girl
    But don't don't don't let's start
    I've got a weak heart
    And I don't get around how you get around

When you are alone you are the cat, you are the phone
    You are an animal
    The words I'm singing now
    Mean nothing more than meow to an animal
    Wake up and smell the cat food in your bank account
    But don't try to stop the tail that wags the hound

D, world destruction
    Over and overture
    N, do I need
    Apostrophe T, need this torture?

This is the worst part
    I've got a weak heart

No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful
    They want what they're not and I wish they would stop saying,
    Deputy dog dog a ding dang depadepa
    Deputy dog dog a ding dang depadepa

D, world destruction
    Over and overture
    N, do I need
    Apostrophe T, need this torture?

This is the worst part
    I've got a weak heart

I don't want to live in this world anymore
    I don't want to live in this world

This is the worst part
    I've got a weak heart

I could go on for a long time. However we should probably stop we are WAY off topic.

If you rescue me

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I am dying to live
    CRY OUT
    I'm trapped under iceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Country
    Country Flag

Mysteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerious whisper!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Late at night all systems go
    You have come to see the show
    We do our best You're the rest
    You make it real you know
    There is a feeling deep inside
    That drives you fuckin' mad
    A feeling of a hammerhead
    You need it oh so bad

Adrenaline starts to flow
    You're thrashing all around
    Acting like a maniac
    Whiplash

Bang your head against the stage
    Like you never did before
    Make it ring Make it bleed
    Make it really sore
    In a frenzied madness
    with your leather and your spikes
    Heads are bobbing all around
    It is hot as hell tonight

Acting like a maniac
    Whiplash

Here on the stage the Marshal noise
    is piercing through your ears
    It kicks your ass kick your face
    Exploding feeling nears
    Now is the time to let it rip
    To let it fuckin' loose
    We are gathered here to im and kill
    Cause this is what we choose

Acting like a maniac
    Whiplash

The show is through the metal is gone
    It is time to hit the road
    Another town Another gig
    Again we will explode
    Hotel rooms and motorways
    Life out here is raw
    But we will never stop
    We will never quit
    cause we are Metallica

Acting like a maniac

If you rescue me

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

TMBG=fucking awesome. I've kept abreast of their career for a short while now, and love it all. As for Metallica, everything after the Black Album stinks as far as I'm concerned. It all sounds the same, and Lars Ulrich's brutally mediocre drumming (and thousands of edited takes called a drum track) isn't helping.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

-Fear of living on
    Natives getting restless now
    Mutiny in the air
    Got some death to do-

Master is my second favorite album!

Garage Days is my third and...

RIDE THE LIGHTNING is my #1 song and album!!!

-Flash before my eyes
    Now it's time to die
    Burning in my brain
    I can feel the flame-

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Did I mention ESCAPE!!!

-See them try to bring the hammer down
    No damn chains can hold me to the ground-

and from Master...

-Hybrid children watch the sea
    Pray for Father, roaming free-

from Garage days

-
    Do not take for granted,
    Powers out there,
    Don't step into the demon's lair.-

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast