Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To: Member Map

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default How To: Member Map

Instructions on how to add to the member map.

Features
    • The member map can be specific to an address or general to a town. That is why it was left on longitude and latitude so that people could generalize their location for security reasons if that matters.
    • It has a "satellite" and "hybrid" option in the upper right to see those different views (the town Zone lives in looks very pretty on the satellite version for instance)
    • I understand some of you may be close together on the default view but the map zooms all the way to the street level so it should be easy to separate them. I may change the default "elevation" at some point to show distinctions.
    How to:
    • Go to the member map using the link in the toolbar above
    • Choose "add element" and you should get a screen to do just that
    • Simply zoom in or drag the map the the place you want and click there. That sets the mark
    • The "marker title" is required
    • choose a type of marker (people, landmarks, events...)
    • Enter in "marker text" for the quick view when someone mouses over your marker
    • If you have a home page on the net, you may enter that.
    • You can also add a URL for a pic (possibly from the gallery but any hosting service will work.
    • Add any comments you would like
    There you go
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm almost positive I effed this up.

Don't see my balloon-it looked like it covered up the entirety of Mahattan island, as well as the other four boroughs-and I'm pretty sure I entered the wrong information for the marker text.

D'oh!

BTW, there's a member who lives on The Canary Islands?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for giving it a try Ruthful, I will go out and see what happened.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Are you Grand Army Plaza Ruthful? I can't see an entry for you other than that one. 8)

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that was me.

Well, I'll go see what happened.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't mind a bit, gives me a chance to play with it.

I just wanted to make sure you wanted that to be yours or if it was that and another one specifically for you.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

It turns out that I placed it somewhere between Sardinia and Tunisia.

Yeah, I bollixed this one.

It's odd, because I've been able to do this on Frapster (Frapper?), whatever it's called, with other message boards.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the secret is going into "add element" when you initially do it but into "edit" under the elements list to move anything.

I can stick it right there if you tell me where it goes but it is a bit of a learning curve on how it works (which is why I put this thread up)

This is a direct link into a google map window. Dt.com has its own key to designate it as ours but it is not actually loaded here.

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Well it would go somewhere below yours-since I live in Kings County-but I don't know how you would insert it.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine is out in Colorado but I have added some landmarks in NYC (notice color sheme)

To move (or edit in anyway) your entry just go into "list elements", find yours and click the "edit" link on the left.

Then you can drag the map to where you want to have it and click there. You cannot drag the marker, just click where you want on the edit screen and it will go there. Once its in the general area, you can zoom the map down to make it more specific if you like.

I think what gets people is they can't drag their existing mark if it is wrong, they just have to click the place they want it to be on the map from the "edit" link.

You can also change pic, website, description and everything else from that edit link.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    To move (or edit in anyway) your entry just go into "list elements", find yours and click the "edit" link on the left.
    I went into "List Elements" and found my entry, but I am unable to edit it. The edit column shows up on the right on my screen btw. I didn't put mine exactly where I meant to, was going to adjust it, but it doesn't seem like I have permission to make any changes.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Dang

Its funny no matter how much you test a thing.

I will fix that up, thanks for letting me know Vols

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

I set myself as a "location" can that be edited?

uber-dur. (because I have to outdo SJ :p )
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by towerguard View Post

It's all fixed.

I also added your street address, home phone number, social security number, etcetera.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

It's all fixed.

I also added your street address, home phone number, social security number, etcetera.

now it says my member name is Brice.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

It's all fixed.

now it says my member name is Brice.

Does it really? It should say your profile there was started by me.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It says ZoNeSeeK's username is Matt. There must be some higher meaning to it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I see. Y'all mean the column that says submitted by.

If you rescue me

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

it says username on my screen. the map says zone's username is matt and ronnie's is brice.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That is weird. Whoever edits them shows up as their user.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It is based on the last edit.

I had thought that a user could edit only their own entires but it seems like that is not the case.

Could be we are going to have to work on the honor system because I think if I open up "edit" function, its an all or nothing thing.

I may also be able to take off that name.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is based on the last edit.

I had thought that a user could edit only their own entires but it seems like that is not the case.

Could be we are going to have to work on the honor system because I think if I open up "edit" function, its an all or nothing thing.

I may also be able to take off that name.

I couldn't. I tried to change it. Maybe you can though.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...couldn't what Brice? Edit the entires? Because I thought your group still could.

EDIT--ah, I see. The name.

I believe I might be able to simply remove it from the admin panel so people can't see the last edit.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...couldn't what Brice? Edit the entires? Because I thought your group still could.

EDIT--ah, I see. The name.

I believe I might be able to simply remove it from the admin panel so people can't see the last edit.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I couldn't remove my name from his entry. I can still edit.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Have I mentioned how much I appreciate those of you who take the plunge and test this stuff for me? Its invaluable so thanks to everyone for that

It looks like I can't take off the last edit so I am going to try turning on "edit" for the registered users group.

Then I will need someone who is not admin to tell me if they can edit all the entries, or just their own.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast