Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The official "DO NOT USE THIS BOOK" thread

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The official "DO NOT USE THIS BOOK" thread

Since we have had some calls for certain titles to not be used in the Book Club, I thought I'd start a thread so we can keep up with the list.

So far we have a request for Moby Dick. I would say that should a title excluded it should be because numerous people want it excluded, not just one person. I don't think that will be a problem with Herr Melville's tome. Call me Ishmael.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Are we censoring our book club???

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

of course not, we're just going through books to decide what most of us don't want read. I think it's a good idea, this thread. It will gives a chance to discuss now, instead of arguing and vetoing in the future.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

*phew* What a relief...

My Mood
    Worried

Well then on that note, can we PLEASE not read Johnny Tremain? I know there are avid lovers of the book out there but I consider it a major downer and a very big snorefest of a book. I would never read that book EVER again.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ummm.... at risk of being flamed i want to request that we leave out The Great Gatsby... *shudder* couldn't stand it... i'll even try Catcher in the Rye again

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    ummm.... at risk of being flamed i want to request that we leave out The Great Gatsby... *shudder* couldn't stand it... i'll even try Catcher in the Rye again
    I second that.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll third Gatsby and fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh Moby Dick. I read the abridged version and even THAT bored the everlasting HELL out of me.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Country
    Country Flag

I DO think turtlesong should give a report on it though.

The Doctor's Daughter Mist_on_the_Water is on a distinguished road Mist_on_the_Water's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Moby Dick..don't like the Great Gatsby being excluded, but I've read it, so all good with me ^_^

I know they aren't considered great iterature but I'd like to request that none of the ever-popular Twilight books are used...I've never read them, but vamps aren't my thing....

Unofficial Doctor Who Obsessor Club Created by IR:
    IR
    Razz
    Woofer
    Ves'Ka Gan

I can haz fourum gamz
    Sing Your Heart Out!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Catoe View Post
    I DO think turtlesong should give a report on it though.

*ahem*

my report on moby dick.
    it is a book about a whale but the fucking whale doesn't even show up until 2/3 of the fucking way through the fucking book. and that's if you can even fucking make it through the entire fucking section of whale blubber. who fucking writes about whale blubber anyway. and who fucking wants to read about it? we fucking get it. it's an epic tale about man's search for his own immortality or his own manhood or what the fuck ever you want. but did you have to write a book about a fucking whale and not even put the fucking whale into the fucking book until the fucking end of the book?

*ahem*

this concludes my report on moby dick.
    thank you.

i'm t/song (aka little bear) and i approve this message.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

oh and as for books not being read. if you guys pick a clockwork orange i'll be out that month. i don't read books with scenes like that if i know they're in there. also, i don't read books with graphic child abuse, incest, or anything like that.

in fact, that's why i just returned tethered to b&n. i just don't read about that shit.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Please let's not duplicate existing discussions. I have (so far - depending on which direction it will take) nothing against having a "no-nomination" thread, but there are other threads in Dutch Hill where you can explain why you do or don't like a particular book.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread