Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 804 of 890 FirstFirst ... 304 704 754 794 802 803 804 805 806 814 854 ... LastLast
Results 20,076 to 20,100 of 22245

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Awesome that you disagree. What I said is true.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    Having seen your previous posts, i realise the futility of trying to argue with you, but wrong is wrong. It's clearly not true as Dan has already attested to with his response. It DOES mean something to them, that is irrefutable.
    It does not mean anything to them in regards to a guarantee. Irrefutable.

Did they not match something for you in the past and you lost your number? You seem upset is why I ask...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau will become famous soon enough Black Miau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Having seen your previous posts, i realise the futility of trying to argue with you, but wrong is wrong. It's clearly not true as Dan has already attested to with his response. It DOES mean something to them, that is irrefutable.

Did they not match something for you in the past and you lost your number? You seem upset is why I ask...
    Everyone has a reason to believe something and it is legitimate. Some work asking for a favor and others don't.
    I remember making a list of favorite numbers for Suntup to give me one. He said it was impossible to choose a number. I had bought The Road, Brother, and I am Legend (none were shipping at the time). Then I found out that Suntup had given someone a number that coincided with their birthday. I don't know if that was true. The point is that not everyone can be satisfied. Everyone has a reason to believe in something.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I believe in magic in a young girl's heart.

Damn, I should have been a songwriter!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I believe in magic in a young girl's heart.

Damn, I should have been a songwriter!
    Insert comic relief here
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    if you're looking for a full matching set, shoot me an email I might be able to hook you up (no promises though)
    Edited for content and to run in the time allowed, but this speaks volumes. And to echo Jeff's statement, it's always best to go to the source vs asking opinions outside of it. Because that's what you're going to get, opinions vs facts or effort. The answer's always no if you don't ask.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    if you're looking for a full matching set, shoot me an email I might be able to hook you up (no promises though)
    Edited for content and to run in the time allowed, but this speaks volumes. And to echo Jeff's statement, it's always best to go to the source vs asking opinions outside of it. Because that's what you're going to get, opinions vs facts or effort. The answer's always no if you don't ask.
    I always tell people to just email / pm and ask. Worst that's gonna happen is I'm going to say I don't have that. But you never know what I might have sitting around.

Country
    Country Flag

I always tell people to just email / pm and ask. Worst that's gonna happen is I'm going to say I don't have that. But you never know what I might have sitting around.
    Yep. I've seen you come through for several folks on several occasions.

Citizen of Gilead andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. I've seen you come through for several folks on several occasions.
    +1 here. Dan has come through for me on at least 4 separate occasions with various requests. Even when he’s not been able to locate something, he’s always let me know.
    Wanted:
    Carrie PS Publishing Lettered ‘G’
    Charlie the Choo Choo U.K. S/L #157
    Dark Tower Portfolio #157

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Dan hooked me up after I mentioned in a thread how I was missing certain books. He went above and beyond in my estimation.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Just to hopefully put a bow in this little present today, Dan helped a lot with the information I was looking for. Thanks a lot, Dan!

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aremag View Post
    Dan hooked me up after I mentioned in a thread how I was missing certain books. He went above and beyond in my estimation.
    Dan once put a Bentley Little book in a paper bag, set the bag on my porch, lit the bag on fire, and rang my doorbell. It was the dead of night on January Something, Two Thousand Something and it was as cold as a Bentley Little plot. I ran down the stairs as the Dragon Lord was opening the door. When I saw the flames, I did the only thing I could think of, I stomped them. I got Bentley Little all over my right slipper and I singed off a goodly portion of my leg hair. My robe got a taste of the flames too. When I saw it was a Bentley Little book in there, I set the bag back on fire and went to bed.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny.
    Rep coming.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Funny.
    Rep coming.
    +1.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Just to add to the lovefest, Dan has helped me and my ridiculous requests for quite some time now and deserves a medal in my opinion.
    BJF ain't half bad either....

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

You made 2 statements:

1. There are no rights.
    2. So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them

I have agreed with the first statement and stated that NO publisher offers a guarantee that could be enforced by the buyer.
    Your second statement is 100% wrong.

You cannot keep referencing your first statement as evidence that your second statement is correct.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Black Miau View Post

Everyone has a reason to believe something and it is legitimate. Some work asking for a favor and others don't.
    I remember making a list of favorite numbers for Suntup to give me one. He said it was impossible to choose a number. I had bought The Road, Brother, and I am Legend (none were shipping at the time). Then I found out that Suntup had given someone a number that coincided with their birthday. I don't know if that was true. The point is that not everyone can be satisfied. Everyone has a reason to believe in something.
    Lets just stop to think about what it means to match someones number for a minute...

There is the easy view. "I bought the last book xxx published and I would like to match my number to that" Nice and simple right? and if everyone who bought the last book xxx published, bought the next book as well it really would be just a case of keeping a list of names and sending out the same # to the same person every time.

But that is not the case, people don't always buy the next book, sometimes they skip a few and so the # they had will be released and passed on to someone else and then that person passes on a book and someone else gets the number, etc. Now let's take into account limitations. Book A is released with a limitation of 250. The next book B is released with a limitation of 350. we now not only have another 100 designations to track, but now we have 2 tracks to monitor designations for. If Book C is also 250, then we cant match designations for any owners of Book B > 250, BUT we can if the next book is > 250. But what if it's only 300? You see how quickly this can get out of hand?

For someone like CD, with the time they have been publishing, the number of books they have published and the variations in limitation, this is just an impossible task to track everyones number. This is why they have gone down the "Please let us know your number and we will TRY to match it for you" I cannot imagine the amount of effort Dan, Brian and co have to put in with lists of buyers and their previous designations.

With regards to the special requests, sometimes the stars align, if someone asked for a number that matched their birthday AND the person who bought the last book with that designation didn't buy this one, then it would have been possible for Paul to give them that #. But again thats extra effort on Paul's part and not something that is sustainable for a lot of requests.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Black Miau View Post

Lets just stop to think about what it means to match someones number for a minute...

There is the easy view. "I bought the last book xxx published and I would like to match my number to that" Nice and simple right? and if everyone who bought the last book xxx published, bought the next book as well it really would be just a case of keeping a list of names and sending out the same # to the same person every time.

But that is not the case, people don't always buy the next book, sometimes they skip a few and so the # they had will be released and passed on to someone else and then that person passes on a book and someone else gets the number, etc. Now let's take into account limitations. Book A is released with a limitation of 250. The next book B is released with a limitation of 350. we now not only have another 100 designations to track, but now we have 2 tracks to monitor designations for. If Book C is also 250, then we cant match designations for any owners of Book B > 250, BUT we can if the next book is > 250. But what if it's only 300? You see how quickly this can get out of hand?

For someone like CD, with the time they have been publishing, the number of books they have published and the variations in limitation, this is just an impossible task to track everyones number. This is why they have gone down the "Please let us know your number and we will TRY to match it for you" I cannot imagine the amount of effort Dan, Brian and co have to put in with lists of buyers and their previous designations.

With regards to the special requests, sometimes the stars align, if someone asked for a number that matched their birthday AND the person who bought the last book with that designation didn't buy this one, then it would have been possible for Paul to give them that #. But again thats extra effort on Paul's part and not something that is sustainable for a lot of requests.
    Too add to that complication, it's really easy to just assign numbers when a book sells out pre-publication. But when a book doesn't and ends up being in stock and trickling the rest of the stock out over several months and in grab bags and what not, then keeping track becomes very difficult. On top of all of that, largely most people don't actually care about matching numbers. Even on something like the 3rd book in a trilogy or one of the Double Day Years series, there's maybe at most 50% of people who order requesting matching numbers. You get outside of series and you look at something like Brian Keene's "End of the Road" and if I remember correctly (other than lifer numbers), there were no number requests at all on that book, and that's normal for most of what we publish.

Servant of Gan jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute jeffingoff has a reputation beyond repute

Country
    Country Flag

I think we need to conduct a poll to determine how much collectors want matching numbers. Because I think a lot more than 50% of collectors want them.

And maybe that word collector is the key. Maybe 50% of customers overall--including both casual and collector--want them, but 90% of collectors want them.

Anyway, I think it's hugely important for books in a series or books from the same author and publisher to have a matching number. I've seen people try to match their numbers across publishers to keep the same number with the author. I just sold the first two CJ Tudor books and the buyer asked me to let Bill know he wanted the number on her third book to match the first two. I've no doubt that the matching numbers are why my auction sold near the published price and the other auctions went unsold.

This Forum is full of people looking for specific numbers.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I think we need to conduct a poll to determine how much collectors want matching numbers. Because I think a lot more than 50% of collectors want them.

And maybe that word collector is the key. Maybe 50% of customers overall--including both casual and collector--want them, but 90% of collectors want them.

Anyway, I think it's hugely important for books in a series or books from the same author and publisher to have a matching number. I've seen people try to match their numbers across publishers to keep the same number with the author. I just sold the first two CJ Tudor books and the buyer asked me to let Bill know he wanted the number on her third book to match the first two. I've no doubt that the matching numbers are why my auction sold near the published price and the other auctions went unsold.

Much as I hate to admit it, Not every book collector (or even King Collector) is a member of this site. We are a small % of CD's customers.

Country
    Country Flag

Much as I hate to admit it, Not every book collector (or even King Collector) is a member of this site. We are a small % of CD's customers.
    Very true. That's why I included the distinction between casual and collector in my post. But you're right, among collectors there are also degrees of collecting.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You made 2 statements:

1. There are no rights.
    2. So you can have matching numbers on all four current DD books and means nothing to them

I have agreed with the first statement and stated that NO publisher offers a guarantee that could be enforced by the buyer.
    Your second statement is 100% wrong.

You cannot keep referencing your first statement as evidence that your second statement is correct.
    My first statement was there are no "rights"
    My 2nd statement is 100% right. As I stated in my first reply to you (regarding my second statement): "As far as a guarantee right now it means nothing."

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Geez I would say number is (at times) important to well over half. I would go so far as to say... 70%+
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

This is the real thing here. Think of the active members here and even on the Facebook groups who actively buy even just SK special editions and compare that to the print runs on those special editions. It's a really small percentage. Honestly I was probably being generous when I said 50%, it's probably less than that, because (at least with the Doubleday Years) I don't even think 50% of people are actually even buying every book in the series.

Edit: I'd also like to add to this, that I largely think matching numbers is more of a collector thing than it is a value thing. Because monetarily your books are probably worth more sold individually than they are as a set (with some few exceptions).

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

That's very true. There's a "bulk discount" expectation even with a matching set.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Citizen of Gilead andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the real thing here. Think of the active members here and even on the Facebook groups who actively buy even just SK special editions and compare that to the print runs on those special editions. It's a really small percentage. Honestly I was probably being generous when I said 50%, it's probably less than that, because (at least with the Doubleday Years) I don't even think 50% of people are actually even buying every book in the series.

Edit: I'd also like to add to this, that I largely think matching numbers is more of a collector thing than it is a value thing. Because monetarily your books are probably worth more sold individually than they are as a set (with some few exceptions).
    Matching numbers only appeal to me if it’s part of a set, ie the Doubleday Years set or the DT set. Other than that, I’m not really bothered about matching numbers. It’s not really about re-sale value, more that it’s just nice to have the matching set. Just my opinion
    Wanted:
    Carrie PS Publishing Lettered ‘G’
    Charlie the Choo Choo U.K. S/L #157
    Dark Tower Portfolio #157

+ Reply to Thread
Page 804 of 890 FirstFirst ... 304 704 754 794 802 803 804 805 806 814 854 ... LastLast