Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 759 of 890 FirstFirst ... 259 659 709 749 757 758 759 760 761 769 809 859 ... LastLast
Results 18,951 to 18,975 of 22237

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin

Are you guys ever going to print this book or what?
    Seriously... WTF?

How can you possibly keep pushing this off?
    There are a lot of books queued up to be sent to a new printer once we have one who can handle the 7X10 trim size. This is one of those books.

Trust me, we'd have it out the door by now if we could. Do you think we enjoy you posting "WTF" and asking if we're "ever going to print the book" and your other snarky queries? None of us are happy the book isn't done yet. It will be printed as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience!

Brian
    Ok..
    So the latest statement as to why Justin Cronin’s “City of Dreams” is not being published ahead of all the other CD publications you’ve announced, sold, published & delivered is because nobody else in the US or elsewhere is capable of handling the 7 x 10 trim size?

BTW, your “Thank you for my patience” statement is just as snarky as my WTF statement.

Honestly, you can be as upset as you want about my questions but all you guys do is make excuses.
    Have you ever heard of the FIFO concept?
    CD should be ashamed off the fact that they’re “Proud to announce another book being published”
    This is not your first rodeo regarding being absurdly ridiculous publishing excuses.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Richard,

Just ask for, and likely receive a refund. In almost every instance, you should be able to buy the actual book when it's published for close to if not less than issue price.
    You're beating a dead horse, and I don't think there is anything more you can say that will improve the situation.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Richard,

Just ask for, and likely receive a refund. In almost every instance, you should be able to buy the actual book when it's published for close to if not less than issue price.
    You're beating a dead horse, and I don't think there is anything more you can say that will improve the situation.
    I don't want a refund, I currently have a matched set.
    I would like it to remained matched.
    I also disagree with your statement that nothing will improve the situation (respectfully because you’re a friend & you run the site)
    CDance could choose to improve the situation by choosing to publish “City of Dreams” before shuffling the bi-annual “whatever plausible excuse“ deck of cards

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

So the latest statement as to why Justin Cronin’s “City of Dreams” is not being published ahead of all the other CD publications you’ve announced, sold, published & delivered is because nobody else in the US or elsewhere is capable of handling the 7 x 10 trim size?.
    Did I say no one else can do it? Nope.

We found out in mid-May that the printer that bought our long-time printer was essentially only buying them for their existing customers. The presses, etc, were all be sold off. The building itself is being cleared out to make it into a paper warehouse for their other plant in town.

Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, except none of their presses can handle the 7X10 trim size at this BULK. They expect to have a new press in September that CAN, but I've been trying to find someone else for the job in the meantime to get it started and finally DONE. So our collectors won't have to wait any longer than they already have.

But finding a new book printer isn’t the same as going into Staples and picking out whether you want to HP or an Epson.

I recently contacted 10 different printers, and I have spent way more hours than I would have liked on this process because everything takes time. You need to find out what their "house" stocks are -- not everyone uses the same papers, ribbons, etc. Some materials that were "standard" at your old printer are special orders somewhere else.

Then you have to revise your spec sheets to use the appropriate materials for the new printer while keeping the look and feel as close as possible, especially for a book that is part of a series.

After you adjust your spec sheets, each printer confirms whether they can even handle the job and then they have to generate the actual quotes. Some of the printers have been so slow to send back quotes that I fear they are too busy for additional business anyway, which is how mistakes get made during the printing process. (Been on the receiving end of that many times over the years.)

Eight of the printers I've contacted couldn’t even handle the types of jobs I want to send them, but they couldn’t confirm that until after they saw spec sheets and tried to price out the jobs. The sales rep will say "yes, I want your business, let's do this!" and then the people who actually figure out what is needed and what it will cost will say, "Wait, we can't actually do this!"

So, yeah, finding a brand new printer for certain types of books takes time. I know we can do it, though, and have the books look just the same as from the old printer if we can find the right printer for the job.

We'd send more updates about this sort of thing, but it gets pretty tiring to hear from people who say we're just “shuffling the whatever plausible excuse deck of cards." Why give more information than needed if giving that information is just going to be thrown back in your face?

Best,
    Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

So the latest statement as to why Justin Cronin’s “City of Dreams” is not being published ahead of all the other CD publications you’ve announced, sold, published & delivered is because nobody else in the US or elsewhere is capable of handling the 7 x 10 trim size?.
    Did I say no one else can do it? Nope.

We found out in mid-May that the printer that bought our long-time printer was essentially only buying them for their existing customers. The presses, etc, were all be sold off. The building itself is being cleared out to make it into a paper warehouse for their other plant in town.

Normally, that wouldn't be a problem, except none of their presses can handle the 7X10 trim size at this BULK. They expect to have a new press in September that CAN, but I've been trying to find someone else for the job in the meantime to get it started and finally DONE. So our collectors won't have to wait any longer than they already have.

But finding a new book printer isn’t the same as going into Staples and picking out whether you want to HP or an Epson.

I recently contacted 10 different printers, and I have spent way more hours than I would have liked on this process because everything takes time. You need to find out what their "house" stocks are -- not everyone uses the same papers, ribbons, etc. Some materials that were "standard" at your old printer are special orders somewhere else.

Then you have to revise your spec sheets to use the appropriate materials for the new printer while keeping the look and feel as close as possible, especially for a book that is part of a series.

After you adjust your spec sheets, each printer confirms whether they can even handle the job and then they have to generate the actual quotes. Some of the printers have been so slow to send back quotes that I fear they are too busy for additional business anyway, which is how mistakes get made during the printing process. (Been on the receiving end of that many times over the years.)

Eight of the printers I've contacted couldn’t even handle the types of jobs I want to send them, but they couldn’t confirm that until after they saw spec sheets and tried to price out the jobs. The sales rep will say "yes, I want your business, let's do this!" and then the people who actually figure out what is needed and what it will cost will say, "Wait, we can't actually do this!"

So, yeah, finding a brand new printer for certain types of books takes time. I know we can do it, though, and have the books look just the same as from the old printer if we can find the right printer for the job.

We'd send more updates about this sort of thing, but it gets pretty tiring to hear from people who say we're just “shuffling the whatever plausible excuse deck of cards." Why give more information than needed if giving that information is just going to be thrown back in your face?

Best,
    Brian

Brian,
    “ Thrown back in your face”.. really, are we dating now?
    Seriously, excuse me if I ask this wrong & I freely admit publishing is not my forte but wasn't sleeping beauties trim size larger than 7 x 10? Can't they do it?

Lets truce the bickering, I’m really just looking for a straight answer.
    When is this going to be published?

Seriously, excuse me if I ask this wrong & I freely admit publishing is not my forte but wasn't sleeping beauties trim size larger than 7 x 10? Can't they do it?

Lets truce the bickering, I’m really just looking for a straight answer.
    When is this going to be published?
    Sleeping Beauties was 7 X 10, and it was the last book our old printer printed as they closed up shop. As mentioned above, the press that printed the book is being sold off instead of kept. I have no idea why, but I'm assuming it's an older model. They seem very pleased with the new press they have on the way for this trim size and bulk size -- the bulk of the book is what is causing the headaches -- but it won't be ready until September, and I'd rather not wait that long if possible.

If I can find a printer in July or August, the book should be completed approximately 90 days after they start the job. Or, if the new press is actually up and running at our current printer in September, they would have the job finished for the holidays. Either way, I want this book out the door this year! As I know you do, too!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Dan or Brian, did you get copies of The Hiding Place (Taking of Annie Thorne) from sub press?
    Yeah, we offered it for sale back in April and it sold out. We offered The Hiding Place to customers who ordered The Chalk Man and also the CDCC, so I doubt we had any copies left for a real newsletter.

Brian
    I ordered chalk man through you guys (I think, I’ll have to double check now) but never saw an email. Must have missed it.
    If you did order The Chalk Man through us, you can send Mindy an email and she can double-check our order count for The Hiding Place. Sometimes we hold onto the last copy or two, just in case. order@cemeterydance.com

Brian
    Thank you!

Dan or Brian, did you get copies of The Hiding Place (Taking of Annie Thorne) from sub press?
    Yeah, we offered it for sale back in April and it sold out. We offered The Hiding Place to customers who ordered The Chalk Man and also the CDCC, so I doubt we had any copies left for a real newsletter.

Brian
    I ordered chalk man through you guys (I think, I’ll have to double check now) but never saw an email. Must have missed it.
    If you did order The Chalk Man through us, you can send Mindy an email and she can double-check our order count for The Hiding Place. Sometimes we hold onto the last copy or two, just in case. order@cemeterydance.com

Brian
    Thank you!
    No problem! If Mindy says we are completely sold out, please shoot me an email: brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com. One of those copies is probably the one I reserved for myself, and I can release it back for sale, not a problem at all.

Brian

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Logistically, it sounds like specialty book publishing has more in common with planning several weddings (the whole bit: food, venue, clothes, cake) in advance than making pizzas (“slap another pepperoni in the oven and put a rush on it!”).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Logistically, it sounds like specialty book publishing has more in common with planning several weddings (the whole bit: food, venue, clothes, cake) in advance than making pizzas (“slap another pepperoni in the oven and put a rush on it!”).
    While I definitely agree I think the real problem with this title was the wait. I believe its been 3-4 years since the initial offering of the book?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Just the other day I was looking in one of my bookcases and realized that, while I have signed US and UK First Editions of all three, I don’t have the third title’s S/L edition to go with my first two in a trilogy. I chastised myself because I must have been distracted and missed the ordering window a while back. I resolved to buy a copy on the secondary market, closed the bookcase, and promptly forgot all about the matter until now. Spurred by all the discussion in this thread, I just searched my email and found that I do have the S/L of City of Mirrors on order after all. Winning!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    While I definitely agree I think the real problem with this title was the wait. I believe its been 3-4 years since the initial offering of the book?
    About 2.5 years ago. I can't recall the specific date, but I believe the author wasn't able to sign the signature sheets until the second half of last year. The book was scheduled to go to our printer to start this year, but once a company enters bankruptcy, you stop sending them jobs for the obvious reason. But we knew they were to be bought by another printer due to the value of their assets, so we expected to be able to start the book with the new company. The new company won't have a proper press until September, but I'm trying to find another printer to start it sooner.

Obviously 2.5 years is too long for a preorder, and we all know that. We're very grateful that 99% of our collectors have been very understanding. So many thanks to all of them for being awesome!

Brian

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Gee whiz, you made me look too. I seem to have the limited and lettered all paid for...whew!
    One of my favorite trilogies!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

About 2.5 years ago. I can't recall the specific date, but I believe the author wasn't able to sign the signature sheets until the second half of last year. The book was scheduled to go to our printer to start this year, but once a company enters bankruptcy, you stop sending them jobs for the obvious reason. But we knew they were to be bought by another printer due to the value of their assets, so we expected to be able to start the book with the new company. The new company won't have a proper press until September, but I'm trying to find another printer to start it sooner.

Obviously 2.5 years is too long for a preorder, and we all know that. We're very grateful that 99% of our collectors have been very understanding. So many thanks to all of them for being awesome!

Brian
    Brian, why do you take orders so far in advance? It only seems to cause headaches like with city of mirrors. How do you rectify it taking 1.5 years after opening the orders for Cronin to sign? I know with some authors their too “busy” (see del toro) but I’d like to think your further along in the publication process when orders open. Also, where do the decisions come in to jump books in the printing process. I get that sleeping beauties was a high priority book but it was put up for order almost a year after city of mirrors and may end up being released about a year before COM. The lettered edition of the Twelve took 6-7 years to be published. I’m sure you’d agree that is unacceptable even with printers closing or being bought out.

Shocklines and the best of cd 2 are going on 7 and 6 years respectively. At some point you almost need to refund everyone and open them back up for order when they are a lot closer to being ready. I know you’ve mentioned changing how you do preorders but sleeping beauties still took 2 years.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Sleeping Beauties was 7 X 10, and it was the last book our old printer printed as they closed up shop. As mentioned above, the press that printed the book is being sold off instead of kept. I have no idea why, but I'm assuming it's an older model. They seem very pleased with the new press they have on the way for this trim size and bulk size -- the bulk of the book is what is causing the headaches -- but it won't be ready until September, and I'd rather not wait that long if possible.

If I can find a printer in July or August, the book should be completed approximately 90 days after they start the job. Or, if the new press is actually up and running at our current printer in September, they would have the job finished for the holidays. Either way, I want this book out the door this year! As I know you do, too!

Brian
    Where does this put Night Shift publication date?

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Since we're talking about the website I have a very minor request...
    Can they add "LOGOUT" to the top of each page? As it stands you have to click on "My Account" to get to another page that has the logout option.
    No biggee if you can't though.....
    I can ask! It seems like a thing they should be able to add easily enough.

Brian

Thank you!

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Brian
    Brian, why do you take orders so far in advance? It only seems to cause headaches like with city of mirrors. How do you rectify it taking 1.5 years after opening the orders for Cronin to sign? I know with some authors their too “busy” (see del toro) but I’d like to think your further along in the publication process when orders open. Also, where do the decisions come in to jump books in the printing process. I get that sleeping beauties was a high priority book but it was put up for order almost a year after city of mirrors and may end up being released about a year before COM. The lettered edition of the Twelve took 6-7 years to be published. I’m sure you’d agree that is unacceptable even with printers closing or being bought out.

Shocklines and the best of cd 2 are going on 7 and 6 years respectively. At some point you almost need to refund everyone and open them back up for order when they are a lot closer to being ready. I know you’ve mentioned changing how you do preorders but sleeping beauties still took 2 years.
    Speaking specifically to Sleeping Beauties, that was kinda a mess from the start. Had things worked out the way they were originally supposed to, it would've been out a year ago. But it was the first casualty of the printer that closed last year. Thankfully it was still in the early (pre printing) stages of production with them, but we did have to start over at the other printer. Then the other printer basically took 3 times as long as they normally do to print and bind the books. We assume this is because of the bankruptcy they conveniently failed to mention to us until we were deep in production on Sleeping Beauties.

Best of CD 2 and Shocklines a remainders of some old problems we've had. I can't really speak to what the original delays were on those. I know with Best of CD 2 more recently though the sig sheets have been a problem. The problem is resolved now, but there's a lot of signatures on those sheets and it's taken a really long time to get them around to everyone. Between Best of CD 2 has taken anywhere from 2 to 3 years (I've lost track) to get the signature sheets circulated. Part of that is the sheer number of names on them, the other part is one of the sheets got lost mid transit and had to be redone. The Cronin books have been a mess as well, just for other reasons. I know we've had tons of problems with the files we recieved from the trade publisher for those, as well as problems actually getting the files from them in the first place.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

^ If I ever decide to go into the independent press business, somebody slap me.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

At some point you almost need to refund everyone and open them back up for order when they are a lot closer to being ready.
    We're happy to refund anyone who is tried of waiting.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Where does this put Night Shift publication date?
    We'll have a Night Shift update later this month.

Brian

Brian, why do you take orders so far in advance?
    95% of our last 50 books have been published on-time or early. People tend to get hung up on one or two problem titles, though.

Brian

Gunslinger Apprentice knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare has a spectacular aura about knightmare's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Brian, why do you take orders so far in advance?
    95% of our last 50 books have been published on-time or early. People tend to get hung up on one or two problem titles, though.

Brian
    I know it's frustrating b/c, much with anything in life you spend 90% of your time on 10% of the product.

I'd say that you can at least know that it is a testament to your books that people are willing to wait and get frustrated when they don't get them on time. Excitement creates expectations and tension.

I've just been reading this over the days as it's gone along and I feel it's been approached with a critical lens but also very professionally. Cheers.
    Seeking:

Suntup Misery Lettered + Rights
    Suntup Shining 1st Paperback Large Art Print

I'll be checking in when I can, but we're leaving for my vacation and it might be a while before I can respond to questions and emails.

Please email Mindy if you need help with an order (placing, cancelling, etc): order@cemeterydance.com

Thanks!

Brian

Citizen of Gilead darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

My local half priced has a The fall signed with slip case for sale for $100 something not a lettered though. I may get it when they have a half off sale?
    Really liked the story

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by darkseer View Post
    My local half priced has a The fall signed with slip case for sale for $100 something not a lettered though. I may get it when they have a half off sale?
    Really liked the story
    HPB has 40% off today and tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 759 of 890 FirstFirst ... 259 659 709 749 757 758 759 760 761 769 809 859 ... LastLast