Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 334 of 890 FirstFirst ... 234 284 324 332 333 334 335 336 344 384 434 834 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 22247

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You know what, I have noticed the extremely negative and hateful remarks about CD that feature on the first 200 posts of this very thread. I think it speaks volumes that since Brian from CD made his presence be known here, these malicious and hateful comments disappeared almost overnight. This smacks of the kind of spineless behaviour most commonly displayed by school bullies.

Well I used to burst school bullies like a balloon.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    You know what, I have noticed the extremely negative and hateful remarks about CD that feature on the first 200 posts of this very thread. I think it speaks volumes that since Brian from CD made his presence be known here, these malicious and hateful comments disappeared almost overnight. This smacks of the kind of spineless behaviour most commonly displayed by school bullies.

Well I used to burst school bullies like a balloon.
    Brian's presence was only part of the solution. Once they got the ship corrected was when the negativity died down. I would say they did a nice job correcting a lot of the bad things that happened early on.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    I'm going to keep on enjoying this thread until the other RF gets home from surfing (that's what people do in California, right?) and tells us to get back on topic.
    Today's topic is on the subject of social grace and decorum.

I do not like the way people on this forum behave like a pack of animals, all wading in en masse and attacking a particular person or publisher as the fancy takes them - be it CD, PS, Sub Press or Glenn Chadbourne to name just a few of the hateful threads I have come across.

I suggest this very simple solution. If someone does not have something constructive or pleasant to post....

THEN IT SHOULD NOT BE POSTED!!!!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

[

Just to add how moronic this pack mentality can be, consider this gem from last night...

Originally posted by Ben Mears
    There were 25 Roman numeraled copies of 'Salem's Lot of which 15 were available for purchase vs 26 for Carrie. And Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.
    I can't say as I don't own any PS books.
    Priceless... Post a disparaging remark about the quality of PS Publishing's craftsmanship and then admit that he doesn't even own any of their books.

It always helps to give context to quotes when they are used to make a point (or not). Help me out here and show me where any of my comments (in italics) disparage PS Publishing. I simply offered an opinion and was careful not to disparage. You on the other hand have directly insinuated that I am a moron. Interesting standards.

It will certainly outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of Salem's Lot

How? There were 25 Roman numeraled copies of 'Salem's Lot of which 15 were available for purchase vs 26 for Carrie. And Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.

How can we know that the craftsmanship and quality of PS Lettered Carrie will not be on par with previous editions? Has PS has quality issues in the past? If so I would like to know.

I can't; that's why I said likely. However the roman numeral version of 'Salem's Lot sets the bar very high indeed.

I am wondering more if PS has lower quality books compared to other publisher's. Less concerned with how it compares to the roman Salem's Lot specifically. Have they ever done a great job on a different Lettered edition?

I can't say as I don't own any PS books. Comments on this board about the quality of their Christine and Pet Sematary gift editions would lead one to believe that they aren't of the caliber of Cemetery Dance gift editions. I would hope but not assume that the Carrie lettered edition will be of better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Brian's presence was only part of the solution. Once they got the ship corrected was when the negativity died down. I would say they did a nice job correcting a lot of the bad things that happened early on.
    I was just talking to another publisher about how the tone here has changed. Half the posters in this thread still seem to hate everything we do and think we do everything wrong, but most are much nicer about how they say it.

Brian

P.S. This was a bad joke meant to get a laugh and I almost deleted it, but I figure it'll be the only thing left in this thread soon and it'll leave future message board scholars wondering what exactly happened here...
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post

It always helps to give context to quotes when they are used to make a point (or not). Help me out here and show me where any of my comments disparage PS Publishing. I simply offered an opinion and was careful not to disparage. You on the other hand have directly insinuated that I am a moron. Interesting standards.
    This is not being careful...

Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.
    You posted a disparaging remark based on other people's views without having any real thoughts of your own and without having any knowledge about PS Publishing's craftsmanship or production values.

Thus...

In this context alone, I don't need to insinuate that you are a moron, you are doing a good job of that yourself.

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

I'm going to keep on enjoying this thread until the other RF gets home from surfing (that's what people do in California, right?) and tells us to get back on topic.
    Today's topic is on the subject of social grace and decorum.

I do not like the way people on this forum behave like a pack of animals, all wading in en masse and attacking a particular person or publisher as the fancy takes them - be it CD, PS, Sub Press or Glenn Chadbourne to name just a few of the hateful threads I have come across.

I suggest this very simple solution. If someone does not have something constructive or pleasant to post....

THEN IT SHOULD NOT BE POSTED!!!!
    People are always going to have opinions. They're not always going to be the same as yours. They're not always going to be positive. That doesn't mean they should feel obligated to not share them.

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

It always helps to give context to quotes when they are used to make a point (or not). Help me out here and show me where any of my comments disparage PS Publishing. I simply offered an opinion and was careful not to disparage. You on the other hand have directly insinuated that I am a moron. Interesting standards.
    This is not being careful...

Carrie most likely won't compare in terms of craftsmanship and quality.
    You posted a disparaging remark based on other people's views without having any real thoughts of your own and without having any knowledge about PS Publishing's craftsmanship or production values.

Thus...

In this context alone, I don't need to insinuate that you are a moron, you are doing a good job of that yourself.
    The more you talk about others the more you reveal of yourself. Keep going bud. Your doing a fine job

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I also am disturbed by the recent tone of many of the postings in this forum. Civility has seemed to have disappeared for a lot of people. All I ask is that you take a few deep breaths before posting something that is so negative. If you still feel it needs to be posted, so be it, but think about your tone.

John

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Still waiting for you to explain what was disparaging about any of my observations. Following your logic your comment that the lettered edition of Carrie "...will certainly outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of 'Salem's Lot" should be interpreted as disparaging toward Centipede Press. You haven't seen it yet but your are certain it will be better. To use your analogy: kettle, black etc.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I also am disturbed by the recent tone of many of the postings in this forum. Civility has seemed to have disappeared for a lot of people. All I ask is that you take a few deep breaths before posting something that is so negative. If you still feel it needs to be posted, so be it, but think about your tone.

John
    Nicely put, John.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Nicely put, John.
    I wonder who John's remark was aimed at?
    T-Dogz, you are a fairly recent member to the forum and regardless of the current 'debate' around PS and CD, you are wielding a very wide brush with some of your accusations. Comments like this:

I do not like the way people on this forum behave like a pack of animals, all wading in en masse and attacking a particular person or publisher as the fancy takes them...

Will not endear you to the majority of folks here. I have read through all the recent posts and other than respond to your own remarks, the majority of responses have been considered and restrained. Yours have not.

I like a good bun fight as much as the next forum member, but this has just become futile and annoying. There is an extremely interesting thread mixed in with the mindless crap and I for one would prefer to focus on that.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Still waiting for you to explain what was disparaging about any of my observations. Following your logic your comment that the lettered edition of Carrie "...will certainly outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of 'Salem's Lot" should be interpreted as disparaging toward Centipede Press. You haven't seen it yet but your are certain it will be better. To use your analogy: kettle, black etc.
    As I already posted it will outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of Salem's Lot and the Coffin Box edition of The Stand in terms of rarity and collector value. Both Salem's Lot and The Stand also had several hundred S/L copies released in addition to the lettered editions. If signed, Carrie will be the only deluxe edition to be signed. So compared to the hundreds of copies of Salem's Lot and The Stand that were also released with a King signature, Carrie will be limited to only 26 signed copies of the lettered edition.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

T-Dogz, you are a fairly recent member to the forum and regardless of the current 'debate' around PS and CD, you are wielding a very wide brush with some of your accusations. Comments like this:

I do not like the way people on this forum behave like a pack of animals, all wading in en masse and attacking a particular person or publisher as the fancy takes them...

Will not endear you to the majority of folks here. I have read through all the recent posts and other than respond to your own remarks, the majority of responses have been considered and restrained. Yours have not.

I like a good bun fight as much as the next forum member, but this has just become futile and annoying. There is an extremely interesting thread mixed in with the mindless crap and I for one would prefer to focus on that.
    John was aiming his comments towards the haters that post malicious content all over the forum, not comments specific to this thread so much.

I am not commenting about responses aimed towards me, I am commenting about the culture that prevails this entire forum where people attack either PS Publishing, Cemetery Dance, Sub Press or Glenn Chadbourne.

I have had a gutful of the petty and childish remarks aimed at belittling the reputation of publishers and artists on this forum. I will wade into ANYONE who makes hateful and deeply inflammatory remarks about a person's art (Glenn Chadbourne) or the quality and production values of a publisher's books (CD, PS or Sub Press). I do not give two shits if this will endear me to people on this forum or not, as a clear majority are the ones posting such malicious comments in the first place.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

<Sigh>
    Then fight the good fight my friend... The race is long and in the end it is only with ourselves...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

As I already posted it will outshine the Roman-numeraled edition of Salem's Lot and the Coffin Box edition of The Stand in terms of rarity and collector value. Both Salem's Lot and The Stand also had several hundred S/L copies released in addition to the lettered editions. If signed, Carrie will be the only deluxe edition to be signed. So compared to the hundreds of copies of Salem's Lot and The Stand that were also released with a King signature, Carrie will be limited to only 26 signed copies of the lettered edition.
    Makes sense from that perspective.

Gunslinger Apprentice MandaBunny will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

John was aiming his comments towards the haters that post malicious content all over the forum, not comments specific to this thread so much.

I am not commenting about responses aimed towards me, I am commenting about the culture that prevails this entire forum where people attack either PS Publishing, Cemetery Dance, Sub Press and Glenn Chadbourne.

I have had a gutful of the petty and childish remarks aimed at belittling the reputation of publishers and artists on this forum. I will wade into ANYONE who makes hateful and deeply inflammatory remarks about a person's art (Glenn Chadbourne) or the quality and production values of a publisher's books (CD, PS or Sub Press). I do not give two shits if this will endear me to people on this forum or not, as a clear majority are the ones posting such malicious comments in the first place.
    I'm new too so don't take this the wrong way. I think that people are entitled to their opinion, especially about art and what they like and don't like about their books. It's like saying you must like a particular kind of food even though it makes you puke. As an example, I don't like most, I repeat most, of Mr Chadbourne's art with a few exceptions that I've seen. His style doesn't appeal to me but I also recognize that he has talent that appeals to other people. I'm sure there are artists that I like but others do not. Does that bother me? Absolutely not and I'm glad people are able to express their opinions here. You don't have to torch them for it. I think you've made your point.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe we should get back on topic...

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I bought Christine, Pet semetary and have Carrie on order from PS. I own almost every King S/L and Gift Edition Cemetery Dance has produced. I prefer the quality, design and overall production of CD's books to PS's. I also prefer steak to hamburgers although I still enjoy a good hamburger. What exactly is the problem saying one is better than the other?

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

T-Dogz

I agreed that a PS Carrie Lettered edition IF signed has the potential to be a very desirable book and admit I am interested in a copy. If I am lucky enough! It will be very rare - just look at how Joyland lettered edition is now valued at $2500-3000 and the only difference to the signed numbered edition was a traycase. I am not sure how Pete is going to make this book special over the normal edition.

I personally do not have any production issues with PS, as I have hundreds of their books being a subscriber. I must admit that some of signed editions do lack the WOW-factor of few other publishers. However, this is going to be their first oversized lettered edition to be produced, so we do not know what the production quality will be like until it is released.
    Jon

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    We get it you love ps publishing.

Btw CD still sold out their edition faster, even being priced about 1.25 times higher.
    T-Dogz_AK47 is a big supporter of CD, too, so I think he just loves both CD and PS Publishing. It's okay, we we're not the jealous type!

Brian
    I think there can be a win-win. Enjoy both/all versions.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    I wonder what the oldest book is that CD has for sale, and I wonder if there are any books that they have removed from their site simply for the sake of keeping up appearances.
    I think it might be the trade hardcover of Sides by Peter Straub from 2007:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/straub01

Although that is a trade edition and the general idea of trade editions is to keep them around and selling for years.

For signed Limited Editions, I think the oldest in-stock title might be Torn, which was published in 2012:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/thomas01

We've never removed the product page for a book we've published. They're all there, which drives our webstore consultant NUTS because it means a large percentage of product pages have items that cannot be bought. But we leave the pages live for future reference for collectors.

We have removed books that we announced that never panned out -- for example, the author never wrote the book. We're now much more careful about what we announce and when we announce it so that kind of disappointment doesn't happen.

There is one anthology right now that has been removed while it is retooled and prepared to be re-announced/re-launched under a new title.

We always remove the books from Other Publishers that we sell after they've sold out because otherwise that section would have 745 products that aren't available for purchase.

I think I covered everything, but let me know if I missed something!

Brian
    I like the fact that you keep out of print material listed. I have looked back many, many times at older books to check original pricing and limitation.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBunny View Post

I'm new too so don't take this the wrong way. I think that people are entitled to their opinion, especially about art and what they like and don't like about their books. It's like saying you must like a particular kind of food even though it makes you puke. As an example, I don't like most, I repeat most, of Mr Chadbourne's art with a few exceptions that I've seen. His style doesn't appeal to me but I also recognize that he has talent that appeals to other people. I'm sure there are artists that I like but others do not. Does that bother me? Absolutely not and I'm glad people are able to express their opinions here. You don't have to torch them for it. I think you've made your point.
    Constructive criticism is fine, but the kind of hateful comment that I object to and a recent one regarding Glenn Chadbourne that I read on this very thread is this...

Originally posted by skyofcrack
    I don't want shitty art on books that I spend hundreds of dollars on and will retain for the rest of my years. I want to ENJOY the art. For the most part I have decided to not purchase SK books with Chadbourne art which sucks because I still want the book as I'm a completist. It's a catch-22.
    Describing Glenn Chadbourne's art as "shitty" is not constructive. I would imagine it is also quite hurtful if you are Glenn Chadbourne, especially considering how much support I have read that he gives to the Haven Fund on this forum.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    I bought Christine, Pet semetary and have Carrie on order from PS. I own almost every King S/L and Gift Edition Cemetery Dance has produced. I prefer the quality, design and overall production of CD's books to PS's. I also prefer steak to hamburgers although I still enjoy a good hamburger. What exactly is the problem saying one is better than the other?
    It's the fashion in which comments are made, too many of which are just downright rude!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I like the fact that you keep out of print material listed. I have looked back many, many times at older books to check original pricing and limitation.
    For the next revamp of the site, I might look into a different "way" to store and display the information instead of just having deactivated product pages, but I figure this works for now and I do think it's important to make it available for reference. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to list something from another small press for sale and not been able to find the most basic information I need to provide in the listing.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 334 of 890 FirstFirst ... 234 284 324 332 333 334 335 336 344 384 434 834 ... LastLast