Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 808 of 889 FirstFirst ... 308 708 758 798 806 807 808 809 810 818 858 ... LastLast
Results 20,176 to 20,200 of 22221

Thread: Cemetery Dance discussion thread

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Got the gift edition of Sleeping Beauties off ebay for $98.

Once in awhile some will pop up under retail price. It's such a beautiful edition. Really love that artwork.
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by GenericEric View Post
    Got the gift edition of Sleeping Beauties off ebay for $98.

Once in awhile some will pop up under retail price. It's such a beautiful edition. Really love that artwork.
    I haven't read it and so didn't pursue this, but yes, it is quite nice.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

...well, it's nice to have that taken care of.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Apprentice sullichin will become famous soon enough sullichin will become famous soon enough sullichin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    ...well, it's nice to have that taken care of.
    it sure is!

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Is $210 a good deal for the gift edition of Doctor Sleep?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no I think its high. NOT crazy high... I think if you got it for $150 that would be much better
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    no I think its high. NOT crazy high... I think if you got it for $150 that would be much better
    That's the best price I can find anywhere. All the the other's I'm seeing are closer to $300. Not sure I'm going to find one below $200 anytime soon.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Brian/Dan - Is it still possible to buy an If It Bleeds slipcase? I can't find it on the CD website at all.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Brian/Dan - Is it still possible to buy an If It Bleeds slipcase? I can't find it on the CD website at all.
    Doubtful. It must be cold at the Cemetery Dance offices, 'cos those windows of opportunity sure close quick!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Institute slip shipping would be nice. Book came out almost a year ago.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    It was there two days ago.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

I think Brian just removed it from the site yesterday. Feel free to email me we can do a manual order.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanHocker View Post
    I think Brian just removed it from the site yesterday. Feel free to email me we can do a manual order.
    Thanks Dan. Email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

Our slipcase maker is currently operating with only 15% to 20% of their workforce active for each shift, but that case has been in production with them for a while now and we expect to have them this summer. They had promised a July delivery date, but I'm waiting to hear back if that's still happening. I'll post an update when I know more.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

Our slipcase maker is currently operating with only 15% to 20% of their workforce active for each shift, but that case has been in production with them for a while now and we expect to have them this summer. They had promised a July delivery date, but I'm waiting to hear back if that's still happening. I'll post an update when I know more.

Brian
    If they are still making them when you talk to them tell them to make an extra one for me.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Brian
    They were supposed to be done long before Covid even hit though.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Brian

On March 3, I replied to your question with this information:

"I know the slipcase maker has all of the materials and the stamping dies now, but I'm waiting on their estimated ship date. I'll be checking in this week, though."

https://www.thedarktower.org/palaver...=1#post1186742

On March 20, their state's governor ordered all non-essential businesses to close. It turns out that slipcase makers are considered non-essential for some reason.

They reopened for business on June 1 with extreme social distancing and health measures in place, and they've been working on this case since then.

They had promised a July delivery date, but I'm waiting to hear back if that's still happening. I'll post an update when I know more.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Country
    Country Flag

Brian

"I know the slipcase maker has all of the materials and the stamping dies now, but I'm waiting on their estimated ship date. I'll be checking in this week, though."

On March 20, their state's governor ordered all non-essential businesses to close. It turns out that slipcase makers are considered non-essential for some reason.

They reopened for business on June 1 with extreme social distancing and health measures in place, and they've been working on this case since then.

They had promised a July delivery date, but I'm waiting to hear back if that's still happening. I'll post an update when I know more.

Brian
    12 to 14 weeks after the release of the book is when they were supposed to be done. Book was released September 10th.

That puts initial release date at Mid December at the latest.

13 weeks after they were supposed to be done the order was given.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Brian

Brian
    12 to 14 weeks after the release of the book is when they were supposed to be done. Book was released September 10th.

That puts initial release date at Mid December at the latest.

13 weeks after they were supposed to be done the order was given.

Yep, sometimes the slipcases do take longer than the expected 12 to 14 weeks. If the case maker has too many projects at the same time, or the materials take a while to arrive, etc.

If you’re tired of waiting, you can email Mindy at order@cemeterydance.com to cancel your order. You’re under no obligation to keep the order, and these will pop up on the secondary market, I would think.

Brian

Country
    Country Flag

Solution driven ideas would be great.

The slipcases not being done on time had nothing to do with Covid. So if the vendor that CD has chosen cannot complete a project in the close to 7 months before covid hit what can be done to prevent that in the future?

Regarding a refund: CD's default customer service solution when called out on something seems to be a refund. A horrible idea since the consumer and business both miss out, the customer is angry, and nothing is solved.

We have all dealt with, or worked for, companies that only use a refund as a last resort but instead do things to make sure the customer is happy and spreads the word about their positive experience. What are a few things CD could do?

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to keep this short because we’re visiting family today.

Regarding a refund: CD's default customer service solution when called out on something seems to be a refund. A horrible idea since the consumer and business both miss out, the customer is angry, and nothing is solved.
    If we don’t offer refunds, then people say we’ve taken their money and won’t give it back. Hence why we offer refunds.

We are always happy to talk to new slipcase makers who can handle these jobs. If you know of any, please send them our way. We have more work than our current vendor can handle, that’s for sure!

Brian

PS I think we will have to agree to disagree about companies that make it really hard to get a refund. If someone wants their money back, they shouldn’t have to jump through hoops. That is not a positive experience.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to keep this short because we’re visiting family today.

If we don’t offer refunds, then people say we’ve taken their money and won’t give it back. Hence why we offer refunds.

We are always happy to talk to new slipcase makers who can handle these jobs. If you know of any, please send them our way. We have more work than our current vendor can handle, that’s for sure!

Brian

PS I think we will have to agree to disagree about companies that make it really hard to get a refund. If someone wants their money back, they shouldn’t have to jump through hoops. That is not a positive experience.
    Of course do money back when/if they want it. What else can a company do to make the customer happy if they do not reach release dates and are months or years late?

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe that Brian and all of the folks he supervises, as well as the vendors he has projects with are doing the best they can. That includes pre-Covid-19, and certainly now during this crisis.

BJF doesn't own CD, and thus has to work within the constraints presented to him. Any of us can ask for and receive a refund, but perhaps Brian, Dan, Mindy, and others need their job.

People should hang in there, and still provide constructive feedback (positive or negative).

Okay, back home on the computer, which makes responding a lot easier! You guys know I wander off into "inside baseball" territory easily, so for those who don't care about the nuts and bolts of this stuff, this is a good time to read another thread.

As I mentioned above, I'm always looking for possible case vendors. They're harder to find than you'd expect because of the size of our orders. Small shops cannot make this many cases. Some of the larger companies that can handle this size order are accustomed to dealing with other industries like expensive wines and jewelry, and they charge accordingly. The materials don't cost them more than the materials cost our current vendor, but there's a huge mark up on the labor, so our retail prices would need to go WAY up.

Real world example: one company I've spoken with is accustomed jobs like making 100 special boxes for the NFL for a Super Bowl special VIP package, and charging $800 per unit, which is nothing to the NFL... But his quote was $85 per unit for the aftermarket SK slipcases, with the exact same specs as our current vendor... And I'm not sure we'd sell many of those!

Here are the most recent options I presented to Richard, re: slipcase production.

1A) There is a small press that gets most of their cases made in China. Production takes approximately 12 weeks. Transit time varies as they cannot afford a full cargo container all on their own, so their cases are shipped through a service that essentially puts other company's shipments together to fill a container. But they WOULD be done faster than many projects with our current case maker. Production costs are approximately the same as we pay now, so the retail price would stay the same... but this press recommended we increase our order by 20% because that's the percentage of units they have to toss for quality control reasons.

1B) We aren't opposed to using vendors outside the USA, but we've mostly kept our spending inside the country whenever possible because we like supporting US jobs. That said, we DID try a Chinese company for traycases maybe 10 years ago. (Actually, a local business person who had contacts in China's manufacturing plants came to us with the idea.) The time frame was longer than expected, the cases didn't quite fit right, and they SMELLED AWFUL due to the chemicals in the glue. This experience soured us on the idea of trying China again, but we know that one experience with one company is hardly representative of all of the manufacturing plants in a country!

2A) There is another case maker we do use, but the retail cost for these SK aftermarket slipcases -- if our order was for the same number of units -- would need to go up to $34 because of his increased production costs. If our order goes down due to fewer sales, the price would have to go up to compensate. We pegged the ideal retail price at $40 based on surveys we did the other year -- to make up for the lost sales and increased costs.

2B) Our current aftermarket SK slipcase order is larger than the print runs for MOST of our books. If most of those customers said they'd happily pay $34 or $35 to get the cases faster, this is DEFINITELY an option. But we'd hate to lose 500 (or whatever) orders and then have to double the retail price. AND anger so many customers by raising the price, losing their business, etc.

2C) There's definitely a line of thought that if we could pump these out in 6 weeks, maybe we'd sell a lot more. That sounds good on paper, but we've sold A LOT of Stephen King related books, cases, etc, over the years, and we have a REALLY good feel for the marketplace, so we're pretty sure we've reached MOST of the people who will pay money for an add-on slipcase for their book. Any changes cannot be based on the idea that there's some huge untapped customer base that would jump on board if these came out faster. There probably isn't.

3) We could send the work to our one man shop. He would take approximately 5 months to do the entire job, but as you noted above, that would be faster than some of the cases have taken. It would also mean he would have to stop work on our traycases. He has produced traycases for more than 75 overdue projects over the last 30 months, which is why we're finally within 10 or so projects of being caught up on the Lettered Editions. (Which are WAY overdue, totally our fault, and we'll apologize again here for good measure. Those cases are WAY too late, and everyone who has stuck it out is absolutely awesome for doing so.)

4) We could stop producing the aftermarket slipcases, which would help solve some other case related delays for other projects. It would mean NOT selling a product to 2000 customers who have come to really support that line of products, though, and we'd have to figure out if some of the other projects getting done a little faster would justify angering those customers -- and losing the revenue, which would need made up somewhere else (higher prices?).

I probably have more thoughts, but I'm late getting the kids to bed, so I'll sign off with this for now. Thanks!

Brian

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Okay, back home on the computer, which makes responding a lot easier! You guys know I wander off into "inside baseball" territory easily, so for those who don't care about the nuts and bolts of this stuff, this is a good time to read another thread.

As I mentioned above, I'm always looking for possible case vendors. They're harder to find than you'd expect because of the size of our orders. Small shops cannot make this many cases. Some of the larger companies that can handle this size order are accustomed to dealing with other industries like expensive wines and jewelry, and they charge accordingly. The materials don't cost them more than the materials cost our current vendor, but there's a huge mark up on the labor, so our retail prices would need to go WAY up.

Real world example: one company I've spoken with is accustomed jobs like making 100 special boxes for the NFL for a Super Bowl special VIP package, and charging $800 per unit, which is nothing to the NFL... But his quote was $85 per unit for the aftermarket SK slipcases, with the exact same specs as our current vendor... And I'm not sure we'd sell many of those!

Here are the most recent options I presented to Richard, re: slipcase production.

1A) There is a small press that gets most of their cases made in China. Production takes approximately 12 weeks. Transit time varies as they cannot afford a full cargo container all on their own, so their cases are shipped through a service that essentially puts other company's shipments together to fill a container. But they WOULD be done faster than many projects with our current case maker. Production costs are approximately the same as we pay now, so the retail price would stay the same... but this press recommended we increase our order by 20% because that's the percentage of units they have to toss for quality control reasons.

1B) We aren't opposed to using vendors outside the USA, but we've mostly kept our spending inside the country whenever possible because we like supporting US jobs. That said, we DID try a Chinese company for traycases maybe 10 years ago. (Actually, a local business person who had contacts in China's manufacturing plants came to us with the idea.) The time frame was longer than expected, the cases didn't quite fit right, and they SMELLED AWFUL due to the chemicals in the glue. This experience soured us on the idea of trying China again, but we know that one experience with one company is hardly representative of all of the manufacturing plants in a country!

2A) There is another case maker we do use, but the retail cost for these SK aftermarket slipcases -- if our order was for the same number of units -- would need to go up to $34 because of his increased production costs. If our order goes down due to fewer sales, the price would have to go up to compensate. We pegged the ideal retail price at $40 based on surveys we did the other year -- to make up for the lost sales and increased costs.

2B) Our current aftermarket SK slipcase order is larger than the print runs for MOST of our books. If most of those customers said they'd happily pay $34 or $35 to get the cases faster, this is DEFINITELY an option. But we'd hate to lose 500 (or whatever) orders and then have to double the retail price. AND anger so many customers by raising the price, losing their business, etc.

2C) There's definitely a line of thought that if we could pump these out in 6 weeks, maybe we'd sell a lot more. That sounds good on paper, but we've sold A LOT of Stephen King related books, cases, etc, over the years, and we have a REALLY good feel for the marketplace, so we're pretty sure we've reached MOST of the people who will pay money for an add-on slipcase for their book. Any changes cannot be based on the idea that there's some huge untapped customer base that would jump on board if these came out faster. There probably isn't.

3) We could send the work to our one man shop. He would take approximately 5 months to do the entire job, but as you noted above, that would be faster than some of the cases have taken. It would also mean he would have to stop work on our traycases. He has produced traycases for more than 75 overdue projects over the last 30 months, which is why we're finally within 10 or so projects of being caught up on the Lettered Editions. (Which are WAY overdue, totally our fault, and we'll apologize again here for good measure. Those cases are WAY too late, and everyone who has stuck it out is absolutely awesome for doing so.)

4) We could stop producing the aftermarket slipcases, which would help solve some other case related delays for other projects. It would mean NOT selling a product to 2000 customers who have come to really support that line of products, though, and we'd have to figure out if some of the other projects getting done a little faster would justify angering those customers -- and losing the revenue, which would need made up somewhere else (higher prices?).

I probably have more thoughts, but I'm late getting the kids to bed, so I'll sign off with this for now. Thanks!

Brian

I am hesitant to pay more than the $29.95. I don’t want smelly slipcases. King is 72. I say we get 5-7 more books from him. I say leave it as is and light a fire under that slipcase makers arse!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 808 of 889 FirstFirst ... 308 708 758 798 806 807 808 809 810 818 858 ... LastLast