Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vegetarianism Debate Thread

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Default The Vegetarianism Debate Thread

What do you folk think? Vegetarians where do you stand? Are you hard-core vegan or lacto-ovo or whatever it's called? Non-vegetarians, omnivores etc. where do you come out? Bring it on.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Excellent thread Matthew.

Currently I am an omnivore. As I've gotten older I have begun to limit the amount of red meat in my diet for health reasons, but I have yet to eliminate it entirely (though I am now down to one serving of red meat a week, sometimes every two weeks). I would like to gradually move to a completely vegetarian diet, but it is a slow and steady process of adjustment and devising a menu that is nutritionally appropriate. My closest friend has been a vegetarian for about eight years now and he has compiled some excellent recipes. He also happens to be the best cook that I know. When we have dinner at his house it never even occurs to me that there is no meat in the food because it's so damn good.

My reasoning for wanting to shift my personal diet is based on health and environmental concerns, not religious or ethical ones. I don't think killing an animal for food is "wrong" (at least no more so than killing a plant to eat it) but I have many concerns about the detrimental environmental impact of much of the meat-producing industry. Hunting and killing one's own food is perfectly acceptable to me.

Gunslinger Apprentice MrQuint is on a distinguished road MrQuint's Avatar

I eat meat - but I just had 3 slices of Vegetarian bacon for lunch (I call them facon) ... There's a party in my tummy ... so yummy.

Somewhere there's a pig out there that owes me one.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I live on a steady diet of Jim Beam and acid.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have been a vegetarian for a little over five years.

After I had back surgery my weight, blood pressure, cholesterol were all out of wack so after careful research and talking with my doctor I made the change.

I do eat eggs, cheese, dairy in moderation, but I completely avoid meat, poultry, fish.

It's not so bad. There are a wide range of vegetarian dishes and products out there that are great meat substitutes.

I have to admit though, I do have pretty intense cravings for some fried chicken every once in a while. lol...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recently stopped a bout of lacto-ovo vegetarianism after six plus years. This still involves me limiting my intake of red meat, and I usually end up still choosing vegetarian meals at home and on the go (it ends up be cheaper and better for me). The choice to become vegetarian was not based on morals, but rather on the fact that it was a smooth transition since my diet was damn near vegetarian already. And the choice to stop was because it was seamless again (it also involved two sprained ankles and paella).
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Anyone become a vegetarian for moral reasons? Any vegans on here?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I gave up eating meat for a couple of years, mainly because the whole factory farming industry really gets to me. I also wanted to sort of 'test' myself and see if it was something I could do. I can honestly say that I really did not miss meat as much as I thought I would. I really missed the convenience of it more than anything. It wasn't as easy to find things on a fast food restaurant menu, but I sort of saw that as a good thing, because It meant that I was eating 'healthier' than before. Another plus side was that I no longer had to worry about what I was eating. I've always been one of those finicky eaters that has to inspect my food as I take bites. Going without meat, I never had to worry about getting grossed out by biting into grissle/bone/fat/God knows what else as I was eating.
    I did start eating meat after getting pregnant, but have thought about giving it up again after the pregnancy. I've found that, even now, I catch myself eating strictly vegetarian meals anyway.

I will say this though: Even when I stopped eating meat, most 'Vegetarians' drove me crazy when they would try to lecture people about eating meat. (Especially when the 'Vegetarians' would eat chicken. I mean WTF!? ) I don't want anyone teling me what I should and shouldn't eat, so I'm not gonna try to force my opinion on someone else.

Edit: I still buy the veggie 'chicken' patties just because those things are delicious.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

mmm... lamb...
    wittle baby lambies!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a carnivore.

I don't care what anyone else eats, but if one more Vegan comes up to me and tries to lecture me about how I'm killing an innocent soul they are going to get a pork rib right up the nose.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lophophoras View Post
    I have been a vegetarian for a little over five years.

After I had back surgery my weight, blood pressure, cholesterol were all out of wack so after careful research and talking with my doctor I made the change.

I do eat eggs, cheese, dairy in moderation, but I completely avoid meat, poultry, fish.

It's not so bad. There are a wide range of vegetarian dishes and products out there that are great meat substitutes.

I have to admit though, I do have pretty intense cravings for some fried chicken every once in a while. lol...
    Similar situation. I have been veggie for nearly 15 years now after being a meat, potato,canned vegetable & fruit guy growing up at home. I did it to get more healthy and to avoid all of the "chemicals" and growth hormones that get pumped into meat. Not only is my family veggie (statred with my wife almost 20 years ago), but we belong to a food co-op and order our food (almost exclusively organic) once a month. My 3 kids, 15, 12 and 7 have never had meat in their life. I can tell you that personally, I used to get colds at least 3 times a year that would always last 2 weeks each, but I may get one cold now every 2 years.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a meat eater but I bet Dora could be a veggie if she didn't live with me.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Citizen of Gilead tamez is on a distinguished road tamez's Avatar

:rose:

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    mmm... lamb...
    wittle baby lambies!
    I thought this was a Jon post before i looked

i don't eat meat
    mostly for moral reasons...
    however i do eat dairy and wear leather..
    whatareyougonnadoaboutit?
    There are other worlds than these.
    "You brought your bitch to the Waffle Hut?"

"(859): You were wearing a sombrero. And a crown. And told me to use the nerf gun to protect your room from the cat. You don't have a cat."
    ~ texts from last night

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I gave up eating meat for a couple of years, mainly because the whole factory farming industry really gets to me. I also wanted to sort of 'test' myself and see if it was something I could do. I can honestly say that I really did not miss meat as much as I thought I would. I really missed the convenience of it more than anything. It wasn't as easy to find things on a fast food restaurant menu, but I sort of saw that as a good thing, because It meant that I was eating 'healthier' than before. Another plus side was that I no longer had to worry about what I was eating. I've always been one of those finicky eaters that has to inspect my food as I take bites. Going without meat, I never had to worry about getting grossed out by biting into grissle/bone/fat/God knows what else as I was eating.
    I did start eating meat after getting pregnant, but have thought about giving it up again after the pregnancy. I've found that, even now, I catch myself eating strictly vegetarian meals anyway.

I will say this though: Even when I stopped eating meat, most 'Vegetarians' drove me crazy when they would try to lecture people about eating meat. (Especially when the 'Vegetarians' would eat chicken. I mean WTF!? ) I don't want anyone teling me what I should and shouldn't eat, so I'm not gonna try to force my opinion on someone else.

Edit: I still buy the veggie 'chicken' patties just because those things are delicious.

The veggie buffalo wings are good too! Dip them in some bbq sauce or ranch dressing.

Yum!

Life is a garden...dig it!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I don't think killing an animal for food is "wrong" (at least no more so than killing a plant to eat it) but I have many concerns about the detrimental environmental impact of much of the meat-producing industry. Hunting and killing one's own food is perfectly acceptable to me.
    Agreed 100%.
    I don't eat much meat. Mostly because I went off it with my second pregnancy (not sure why, it was like an anti-craving) and never really got back into it. I can never say no to a good quality, local farm raised piece of steak though, or a free range (corn fed if I'm particularly solvent that month) roast chicken. I'm much more into fish than most meat.

I think if good quality meat was cheaper, I'd probably eat it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuint View Post
    ... There's a party in my tummy ... so yummy.
    Quint, did you just quote Yo Gabba Gabba?!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I'm a carnivore.

I don't care what anyone else eats, but if one more Vegan comes up to me and tries to lecture me about how I'm killing an innocent soul they are going to get a pork rib right up the nose.
    You only eat meat?

*ducks and wags tail*
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I am an omnivore. I believe that our bodies were made to process both vegetable and animal products for a reason. I know there's always the 'animals feel pain' argument, but my aunt, who is brilliant, once did a study on plants and their ability to feel pain. Did you know that trees can recognize a person who has pulled a branch or needles/leaves off of it before? She proved it with EKG electrodes. She had a person pull needles off of an evergreen tree, then had a group of people walk in and out of the tree's general area. There was no EKG activity when random people walked by the tree, but whenever that one person come near, there was a marked increase in EKG activity every time. That same person could walk by a tree that they never touched before and cause no reaction whatsoever. She performed this and similar tests several times, of course, so I believe the data is valid. So, if your argument for vegetarianism is feeling better about not causing a living thing pain, it's no good.

I'm not against vegetarians at all. in fact, I enjoy eating at vegetarian/vegan restaurants. I have several friends who are vegetarians. I don't believe it's a good idea to cut anything out of a diet entirely. Cutting down on certain things is good, and is definitely something I need to do myself, but the idea of completely eliminating meat or carbs or fats or sugars makes no sense to me.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My wife and I have been vegetarians (98%?) for the last 5 or 6 years. For me it was primarily for health reasons, although I've always had concerns about the treatment of animals (food and non-food variaties) for a long time. We do eat eggs and dairy, although I've been curtailing a lot of that recently as well. I'm a fat vegetarian , but thanks to Nutrisystem's vegetarian program I'm losing weight by cutting out all the bad (bad, bad, bad) carbs I was eating.

I don't really mind if other people eat meat (or hunt), but I wish more people gave a little thought to where it comes from. /soapbox

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw the greatest shirt not too long ago:

PETA - People For The Eating Of Tasty Animals.

Awesome.

Everyone has a right to eat how/what/when they want (as an adult I believe). I know many vegetarians that keep their practice to themselves. I get invited to eat at vegetarians houses and I gladly go and have a wonderful meal. Me, Im a steak and potatoes kinda guy. Give me meat or give me death.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I'm a carnivore.

You only eat meat?

*ducks and wags tail*
    Pretty much. I'm trying to get back on the Atkins diet, because I felt better and was a lot skinnier. Now that Vegas is over I have no excuses.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm with Daggers. Full on CARNIVORE!!! Every now and then I'll eat a salad, and I try to include peas, corn, or some sort of vegetable in most meals. Even so, I have meat in virtually every meal I eat, including breakfast. Most meals consist of MOSTLY meat, including breakfast. Potatoes go along well with steak, chicken, and pork. I don't eat any seafood due to an iodine allergy.

I have all sorts of marinades and glazes for porkchops, steaks, and chickens. I also enjoy a good stir fry with noodles or rice. Chicken and Dumplins works out very well when made in the crock pot (slow cooker). Oh, and I make a mean chili too.

Daggs, pm me if you're interested in some glazes. (I use a lot of soy and teriyaki sauces).
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Cool! I've been thinking of trying that since wolves love meat - the rarer the better.

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Catoe View Post
    I'm with Daggers. Full on CARNIVORE!!!
    Heh heh. I couldn't help myself - especially given those fast food commercials with the young guy claiming he's a carnivore and then biting into a burger with lettuce and tomato and, of course, BREAD. No, dude, sorry; YOU ARE AN OMNIVORE.

At any rate, I do understand.

<---physically restrains self from eating the meat before it's cooked

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actually, you are correct in the sense that I eat more than meat. However, I have been known to throw out the bun, lettuce, and all that junk just to get to the meat and cheese. Often. Almost no animal eats JUST meat.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast