0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Hopelessly poor, wish I hadn't read it

2 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: FIRST BOOK! To Kill A Mockingbird.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Sorry about the spoiler tags, folks.

I wasn't sure when I posted, and didn't want to ruin anything for anyone.

Thanks for removing them. I edited as well, to clean things up a tad.

Sorry to be a pain.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

you're not a pain, you're great! congrats on being the first in our history to answer our first question on our first book!!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I wont begin reading till later, so much to do to be ready for my first date in forever!!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Gay

Thanks Jean.

I have been looking forward to this a lot.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i don't know how many of you read opus (the cartoon) but it's over now and i'm very sad. it ended well for him though. here's the final strip, please notice what was in his treasured belongings - it's very pertinent to us:

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Answers coming, I promise.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Should the discussion questions be added to the first post in the thread?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that's exactly what has occured to me a moment ago!!!!! I'll attend to it right now.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so does that mean that every question (series of questions) that get added will be appended to the first post?

that's actually quite convenient.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

1. How and when did you first come to read To Kill A Mockingbird?
    I honestly don't remember. It's so ingrained in me, as are the portrayals in the wonderful film adaptation, that I simply don't know. Also, I went to five different schools before high school (rezoning + moves), so a lot of that is a blur.

2. Why does Atticus say that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird?
    Because mockingbirds never destroy; they only create beauty in music.

3. Why do you think that killing a mockingbird is the only thing in the entire book, in the children's entire lives, that Atticus condemns as a sin?
    I agree with turtlex. Atticus uses the mockingbird as a metaphor for teaching the children about life.

4. Who is your favorite minor character in the book?
    Mrs. Dubose. What courage she showed to kick an addiction while dying.

5. What are three memorable moments in the book?
    1. Scout’s first day of school is a powerful scene. Their teacher, Miss Caroline Fisher, is an excellent example of good intentions gone horribly wrong.
    2. The rabid dog scene is chilling. When Atticus takes up the rifle, Jem and Scout learn that there are some things about himself that Atticus has never told them. They also learn that not every thing you are good at is worth announcing to others.
    3. One of the most moving moments is when the children come to Atticus’ defense in front of the jail. This scene, and the first day of school scene, have deeply personal meanings for me.

6. What is the most touching moment of the book?
    I think the most touching moment was the morning after the trial when Atticus found that almost the entire black community had donated food to his house because he had defended Tom Robinson.

7. What is the most shocking moment of the book?
    Personally, the most shocking moment is when Sheriff Heck Tate announces that Bob Ewell fell on his own knife. I wasn’t sure Sheriff Tate had it in him.

"Don't you say hey to me, you ugly girl, you say 'Good afternoon!'"
    ~Mrs. Henry Lafayette Dubose
    Last edited by Woofer; 11-04-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Grammar.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

you guys are not gonna believe this! i went to edward mckay's today and they did not have one copy... then i went to the campus library and still couldn't find it... it might be there tho.. should be i just gotta take more time... conspiracy?

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I got mine from the school library today.

The Doctor's Daughter Mist_on_the_Water is on a distinguished road Mist_on_the_Water's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm too busy to reread it unfortunately...reading like 3 books right now as it is, YAY AP CLASSES....

anywho, I will answer questions, tomorrowI'll post them up

Unofficial Doctor Who Obsessor Club Created by IR:
    IR
    Razz
    Woofer
    Ves'Ka Gan

I can haz fourum gamz
    Sing Your Heart Out!

My Mood
    Worried

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I have just come from the castle, where I left a post explaining that I plan to read as much of this book as possible today, tho' I will no doubt miss much on the boards, I feel like a slug for having only read a dozen pages so far....so see ya later alligators!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Gay

I think maybe the slowdown is that Ves is still trying to get hooked up with high speed.

If folks could just maybe reply to the first batch of questions, then we could get some conversations running as soon as Ves gets back.

For those of you who haven't completed the book, or want to re-read, nows yer chance!

hi-speed hell. ves is still trying to get internet at all. apparently everybody in joshua tree is STILL high! i wonder how many of our own dear members live there (or are considering moving there?).

anyway, we talk regularly and i will ask her about posting new questions or kicking ass and taking names to get more people answering these questions. no one can kick ass as well as a marine who just moved to the desert and can't get her internet needs met!

1. How and when did you first come to read To Kill A Mockingbird?

i know i was in grade school - i must have been in sixth grade maybe. it wasn't assigned reading, i was just wandering the library looking for something to read and saw it in a display of "banned books" and thought something like if it's good enough to be banned i **have** to read it. i fell in love with it.

2. Why does Atticus say that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird?

i think this has been said by just about everyone but mockingbirds don't do anything wrong. they don't steal from other bird's nests, they don't eat crops, they don't steal seeds, they just exist to provide songs. killing something that doesn't harm anything would be a sin in atticus' viewpoint.

3. Why do you think that killing a mockingbird is the only thing in the entire book, in the children's entire lives, that Atticus condemns as a sin?

atticus has a very straightforward view on life i think. it's complex, but straightforward. you make your way as best you can in life without causing harm to those around you. you don't brag, you don't lie, you don't cheat, you don't steal. i think atticus leaves the concepts of "sin" and "righteousness" to people with nothing better to do with their time. except in this one area. he wants his children to understand that some things are just completely unforgiveable and perhaps this is the best way to put something like that in terms that a child will understand. how do you explain a concept that large to a child. you tell them it's a sin.

4. Who is your favorite minor character in the book?

miss maudie hands down. that women is amazing in her insight and knowledge. she gives the children a steady female figure to look up to who is just who she is - no bullshit, no false faces, just her. and i just loved the argument over the snowman! and her explanation to the children about their father, "he's the same in court as he is on the street" is fabulous. even scout can understand that, and uses it to explain court things to dill.

5. What are three memorable moments in the book?

in no particular order:

1. when scout discovers that there are more things going on with ladies than she ever thought or imagined after seeing the "invisible" conversation between miss maudie and aunt alexandra at the missionary circle tea. i think that really opened her eyes in a way that nothing ever could have before; seeing two such different woman having a silent communication that spoke volumes, seeing two women that couldn't stand each other give and accept thanks for an act that scout really didn't understand, and the knowledge that there was an under-surface to women that she had never seen before.

2. when dill gets so very upset about the way the prosecutor treats tom robinson during the trial. his feeling for tom robinson, his declaration that the prosecutor didn't have to treat him that way, that atticus didn't act that way, and scout's explanation of the court system really stood out for me.

3. helen robinson's knowledge that her husband was dead as soon as she saw atticus and calpurnia. that image of her in my head will probably never go away.

6. What is the most touching moment of the book?

scout jumping into the crowd of men surrounding atticus at the jail and realizing that she didn't know them. then when she recognized mr. cunningham and began asking him about his entailment. and went on to tell him about how entailments were terrible things but that he should just hang on because they would get him through it. how a child's lack of knowledge, but sincere desire to comfort, could dispell a mob was very touching to me. especially given what would have happened had mr. cunningham *not* been in that crowd.

7. What is the most shocking moment of the book?

for me, it was knowing on a deep and visceral level that mayella injuries had been caused by her own father. and that those injuries had extended to being raped. they never come out and say this in the book, but she makes it clear that she was raped in her testimony and she tries so hard to blame tom robinson and tries so hard to make everyone believe that her "father" had never touched her. it's perfectly clear from atticus' cross of bob and mayella that bob has "been at" mayella more than once and that he raped her for having kissed tom and having been curious about "another man".

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I think maybe the slowdown is that Ves is still trying to get hooked up with high speed.

If folks could just maybe reply to the first batch of questions, then we could get some conversations running as soon as Ves gets back.

For those of you who haven't completed the book, or want to re-read, nows yer chance!
    I know. I hope nobody thought I was being a bitch. (Believe me, there'll be no doubt when that happens.) I really just saw it as a chance to use my tumbleweed smiley.

Great answers from both turtles. I think it's fascinating which scenes stand out for each of us. It's very hard to choose, and I debated the very moments that each of you listed. It had surely been too long since my last read.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I am baaaaaaaaaaaack.

From what I can see it looks like things are moving a little slow mainly because not everyone is finished reading yet (I, myself am guilty!!). I do have some real juicy questions saved up, but I do want to remind everyone that we planned on keeping this particular discussion open for two months with the holidays and everything sneaking up on us!

I will pop in again soon (hopefully with my answers to the list of questins).

One thing I may suggest--I see a lot of good answers to the Atticus/sin question--maybe we could open up that can of worms and really read everyone's responses and try to ut some input in on that particular question? Just something to keep things rolling until we have a few more people finished with the book!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

woofer i didn't think you were being a bitch (hahahahaha - woofer, bitch, dog? get it? nevermind). i just wanted to once again point out that ves had moved to marijuana heaven apparently (despite the medical marijuana laws in michigan).

My Mood
    Gay

woofer - Nope, didn't think that for a moment. Was just mentioning, is all. No worries.

Ves - Welcome back. Hope all went well with the move and you're getting settled.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theBeamisHome View Post
    you guys are not gonna believe this! i went to edward mckay's today and they did not have one copy... then i went to the campus library and still couldn't find it... it might be there tho.. should be i just gotta take more time... conspiracy?
    Go to Waldenbooks at Cross Creek Mall or Barnes & Noble (near Skibo Rd.). Certainly one of them has a paperback at least.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i got it last night at Barnes & Noble when me and Nigel took an unplanned day trip to Durham.. such fun... and you'll also be happy to know that i got the complete and unabridged works of H.P. Lovecraft.. i'm reading TKaMb right now and i'm loving it.. good choice guys i can't believe i didn't read this before!

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i've decided to give this book a read..i've heard the title of course but was never sure
    what the story was about..now got the outline of its content..not my usual read ,but
    its the first book of the new book club so why not give it a go..

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by 3 DOORS DOWN View Post
    i've decided to give this book a read..i've heard the title of course but was never sure
    what the story was about..now got the outline of its content..not my usual read ,but
    its the first book of the new book club so why not give it a go..

Great! Welcome to our first book of the book club. I look forward to your thoughts!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast