0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Hopelessly poor, wish I hadn't read it

2 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: FIRST BOOK! To Kill A Mockingbird.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Don't stop in Boulder either!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Today I went to my local library, the librarian indicated the book was indeed on the shelf
    *whew* NOT! She has an order to bring it over from the next town for me. So, that's good.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello--sorry for being out of touch--as T/song mentioned I am travelling x-country (I am currently in some random road side hotel in some more random small town in Missouri!).

To answer some questions--Turtlex--I got your PM & responded. I am planning on posting a few general questions as of Nov. 1st to kick off discussion, then I will use many (if not all!) of your suggestions to keep the conversation moving.

Alinda--I have never really done this outside of HS/College reading assignments, either! We can learn together! I believe this first round is going to go relatively slow as we are attempting to accomodate the holiday travel schedules throughout Nov. & Dec. I think we should give everyone until the first to pick up the book & then get a feel for the general reading pace of the group & then go from there--any comments or suggestions on that are welcome from anyone!

I will check in again as soon as I get to another hotel with Wi-Fi!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

*waves* thanks Ves! Safe journeys to you dear.

The answer is within

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just read Mockingbird last year (or so). I may have to re-read it so I can join in!

Here's a little story on how I came to read it:

I found a beaten up first printing of the hardcover. I went to a VERY small book repair shop (Lost and Bound Books-- cute name, lol) to inquire about my options. I swear this shop is about 10 ft. X 10 ft. Anyway. I told the woman that I was excited and hadn't even read the book yet. She said, "here, take my copy and bring it back when you're done." She reached over, opened a drawer in her desk and pulled out a well read paperback.

What are the odds!!??!!

Edit to add: Welcome to the West, Ves'Ka!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

maybe if someone can think of a good question, they should PM it to Ves'?

Bill: thank you for the story! I think one of the questions should be "when and how you first read it".

Dear friends, please, don't jump the gun! Before November 1, think of your questions, shape up your ideas, reread carefully!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    Anyway. I told the woman that I was excited and hadn't even read the book yet. She said, "here, take my copy and bring it back when you're done." She reached over, opened a drawer in her desk and pulled out a well read paperback.

This is soooo sweet. I'm glad we picked this as our first book.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    In Love

Wait! Are we to read it before and then discuss? I thought we were to read some chapters or something together, and discuss as we go along....

The answer is within

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i think some people are doing it both ways. but officially we are supposed to be reading it together. at least that's what the main thread says.

The Doctor's Daughter Mist_on_the_Water is on a distinguished road Mist_on_the_Water's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome book, I too read it in school. It's incredibly boring as I can't stand the genre(i simply didn't care for the story) but in a general sense, it's amazingly well written and a very good book.

Unofficial Doctor Who Obsessor Club Created by IR:
    IR
    Razz
    Woofer
    Ves'Ka Gan

I can haz fourum gamz
    Sing Your Heart Out!

My Mood
    In Love

So you both enjoyed it, and disliked it ?

The answer is within

i know, that's what i was thinking. then then

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i think some people are doing it both ways. but officially we are supposed to be reading it together. at least that's what the main thread says.
    yes, but I'd much rather everyone read it beforehand, just to be on the safe side - this way nobody will drop out because something unexpected has turned up. Then we can move at any mode and pace we like.

My Mood
    In Love

yes, that makes sense ( I see) I will check at the library today and see if it has been delivered yet.

The answer is within

My Mood
    Gay

If we do move by chapters, I would suggest that, rather than by pages - as there are probably 10 different published editions and page numbers might not match up.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    In Love

I hadnt thought of that, smart!

The answer is within

Gunslinger Apprentice BedOfRoses will become famous soon enough BedOfRoses's Avatar

I love this book and will definitely be joining in the discussion. I read it originally in high school and re-read it along with Bill (NeedfulKings) last year. I enjoyed it even more the second time. Great choice for a first book!
    The rose speaks of love silently, in a language known only to the heart.

My Mood
    In Love

Sharing books with all of you will be the highlight I think!

The answer is within

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    yes, but I'd much rather everyone read it beforehand, just to be on the safe side - this way nobody will drop out because something unexpected has turned up. Then we can move at any mode and pace we like.
    the big bear commands, the little bear does.

Country
    Country Flag

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

*happy sigh* Like having coffee with old friends. Jem, Scout, Dill, Atticus. Scout reminds me a lot of a very young Woofer - I was very much the tomboy.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I just began my reread, too & it was a lot like finding a nice worn in pair of slippers!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

My Mood
    Gay

Old friends, Scout Jem and Dill, to share with my new ones.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

this will be my first time reading the book.. i'm sure i can find it at edward mckays..

Human kind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Without a doubt you can.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast