0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Hopelessly poor, wish I hadn't read it

2 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FIRST BOOK! To Kill A Mockingbird.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Default FIRST BOOK! To Kill A Mockingbird.

Our first TDT.com Book Club book has been selected by our very own Bear.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee will be our first book club book. We will run this book for both November and December (to accommodate for the holidays!). Please use the time before November to find this book at your local bookstore, library, or on your shelf!

EDITED November 1 - Here are the Questions:

1. How and when did you first come to read To Kill A Mockingbird?

2. Why does Atticus say that it's a sin to kill a mockingbird?

3. Why do you think that killing a mockingbird is the only thing in the entire book, in the children's entire lives, that Atticus condemns as a sin?

4. Who is your favorite minor character in the book?

5. What are three memorable moments in the book?

6. What is the most touching moment of the book?

7. What is the most shocking moment of the book?

EDITED NOV 14: RE: NEW QUESTIONS

1.Do you think that Jem & Scout would have recieved as warm a reception at Calpurnia's church if Atticus had not been defending Tom Robinson? Why/why not?

2. What was your reaction to Lula and her comments to Cal upon their arrival at the church?

3. How do you feel about the discussion between Jem & Scout and Calpuria about her use of "nigger talk" at church and how she "shouldn't" speak that way sicne she "knows better"?

**please excuse the use of the word "nigger" I am only attempting to use it in context of the book, and hope that it is seen that way in our forum**
    Last edited by Ves'Ka Gan; 11-14-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Edited to add questions.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool, I've been wanting to read this book too but i never got the chance so it's a new read for me

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Well, it's not my favorite book, but I'll read it! I even added to my sig to get the word out. We're finally moving (you know, moving, and not just behind the scenes)

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know that I realized until just now that I've only seen the movie and not read the book - shame on me! This will be my inspiration! I'm going to get a copy to take with me to Hawaii and read on the beach.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm new to the book too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

This book remains one of my top favorites of all time. The movie is good, but the book is orders of magnitude better. I'll welcome the chance to reread it!

John

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that book is great..had to read it for summer reading leading to 9th grade english and liked it surprisingly.
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read the book a couple years back. I really enjoyed the characters and overall theme. I wouldn't mind re-reading it, but I'm almost finished DTV now.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

picked up my copy today at b&n. of course, i went in just for that and left with four other books as well. fucking b&n; they hpnotize you, you know?

anyway. i thought i had this book, but damned if i can find it. looking forward to the discussion. and happy to see you here as well john. try to convince some others from the collectors side to join us, would you?

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Odd. I usually walk into a B&N and leave with nothing but a cup of coffee to show for the trip.

The books I typically look for are usually hard to find in a bookstore. I usually get them off ebay and amazon.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

i think i'm physically and mentally incapable of leaving b&n without a book. even if it's just a paperback. i'm pretty sure they have me hypnotized. really! do you watch CSI? did you see thursday's episode? it's just like that. and since you can't hypnotize someone into doing something they aren't predisposed to do (in real life anyway) and i'm predisposed to love and cherish books, of course i'm willing to buy them.

at least that's what my b&n credit card says!

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yay! I love TKAM. Excellent choice by my favorite bear in the world! Already got a copy!

Turtlesong, I have the exact same problem with Borders book store. I swear their stock price goes up when I pull into their parking lot! They pump something through the A/C vents that makes you buy things even if you can't afford it!

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post

at least that's what my b&n credit card says!

OOOOOHHHHH, I just saw this part. I'd be homeless if I had a B&N credit card. Homeless, but with an excellent book collection!

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hey All - Don't want to step on any toes, but I have been reading around the web about Book Club discussion groups and found quite a few guides for our first pick : To Kill A Mockingbird.

I thought I'd post some of them, but will do so with spoiler tags as the questions give away many plot points. If you haven't read the book at all, you might not want to read the questions until you've done so.

Jean, if you want to remove this post, if you think it's too early, etc - feel free. I just thought some might want a little perspective on the book ( ie - what to consider when reading, etc ).

This might also be too formal for us, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Spoiler:

Discussion Points PM'd to Ves.

This is a guide as well - but it also includes recipes so you can throw something like a TKAM Discussion Party - http://bookclubclassics.com/Blog/wp-...sample-kit.pdf

As I said, if I'm jumping the gun or stepping on toes - feel free to slap me back in my place
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that's a very appropriate post, turtlex. Thanks!

John

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

dear friends,

please PM Ves'Ka Gan all your suggestions

I really wouldn't like any cats to be let out of the bag before November 1, but it's Ves' who is in charge here, not me.

t/ex: if I were you, I would remove all specifics from your post, and PM them to Ves' instead

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

Jean - Done.

I PM'd the stuff to Ves, for consideration.

Sorry if I spoke/posted out of turn.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no, you didn't! Ves' and me didn't post any guidelines yet, and the first round is bound to be rather clumsy!

thank you thank you thank you!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

for the bear

Traveler aberrios75 is on a distinguished road aberrios75's Avatar

Good title, I was actually reading this before I got the rest of the DT books. Looking forward to the discussion.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I have diligently checked my shelves for this title, and find that I too must go visit the book store. I am glad for the time to find/buy the book.
    Will there be an assigned set # of pages or something so as to be all together on the reading? How will it it organized for us all to read "together" ?
    Ves, please forgive me but I have never read a book with anyone else before.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

My roommate is an English major and a teacher. I am certain we have this or any other so called classic literature in English.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a copy, it was my dad's before it was mine

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

I too have a copy on my shelf which is unread. I have some business traveling to do, time on a plane is perfect reading time.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

just a small reminder my friends, ves is currently driving cross country with her beau. moving to california (remember?). she isn't ignoring us, she's just hopping from hotel to hotel as she gets nearer and nearer to the black hotel. here's hoping she avoids old bloat!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast