Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Any one a Frank Herbert fan? Dune?

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Read it ages ago. I thought it was so-so. Can't remember any emotions related to reading it though.

DUNE movie update. Its a done deal, the movie is 100% green-lighted! No word on actors or or any of that yet. They are still working on the script. Happily they want to stay true to the novel for a nice change. Can't wait to see how they manage to pull that off without doing all the voice overs the had to do in Lynch's version.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome cant wait for this to happen. Most likely 2 years from now. Damn I hate waiting for things like this. Do hope the keep it as close to the original as possible. Will be interesting to see how the handle the hidden dialogue like they did in David Lynch's version. On the prev side cant wait to find out who's going to be playing Jessica and Channi .

Gunslinger Apprentice aurora is on a distinguished road aurora's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll let you know who's playing what roles as I get that info. And yeah it will be at least two years. Granted theres talk of a December 09 release but probability that it will be done, decently that is, by then is dang near impossible.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do hope they take their time with this and not rush it so they can get it out for the lucrative Christmas market.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

As I am entering a battle at work, union against management, I have started to recite the litany against fear....

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Can't wait to see who is staring in the movie.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

KevinFlys

World of Warcraft Gold Farmers

No spam on the site, Please.
    Last edited by Erin; 05-18-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Edited out spamming post

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished reading Dune for the very first time two days ago. I really enjoyed it and liked Paul a lot. I totally dig the whole savior/superhuman thing.

Not gonna lie though, I'm worried about continuing on with the story. I've heard so much about the remaining books that I'm not sure I want to take the chance at "ruining" what I feel was a great stand alone book.

(I know I'll pick Book 2 up eventually though....it's not like me to start a story without trying to finish it.)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, this looks like a good place to ask this question. I have always planned on reading Dune, but now there are so many dune related books, I am confused. What are the core books to the Dune series? And, what is their order?
    Sloth Love Chunk

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Ok, this looks like a good place to ask this question. I have always planned on reading Dune, but now there are so many dune related books, I am confused. What are the core books to the Dune series? And, what is their order?
    hahaha...Ok if you really want the Frank Herbert vision, Dune is the first book. then Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and then I think Chapterhouse: Dune. The other books that you find are wrote by his Son and they are prequels (before Dune) and the end of the series after ChapterHouse. I have read them all, but I would stay with the Frank Herbert books and start with Dune. His son kind of messed the story up a bit.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me, the story of Dune begins with DUNE and ends with God Emperor of Dune. It is commonly believed that this was where Herbert intended to leave the series, but continued with Heretics and Chapterhouse under pressure from others (publisher, agent, fans, who knows). What I can say is that the story reads as a continuous tale up to and through God Emperor and changes with Heretics, at least it did to me. The later books by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert are very hit and miss. Some of them have been well told and added to the mythos of the DUNE series and to Dune itself while others were simply a waste of my time to read and were never finished. I have not read more than five of their books simply because I didn't feel they were worth the effort to read or the money to get the books. The last one I read, Paul of Dune, was actually good, but the only reason I bought it was because I was stuck in the hospital in Halifax, NS with my wife and had nothing to do besides sit and wait for her to get well enough for us to go home. It was good and added to the mythos, but don't read it until you've read Frank Herbert's books.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    For me, the story of Dune begins with DUNE and ends with God Emperor of Dune. It is commonly believed that this was where Herbert intended to leave the series, but continued with Heretics and Chapterhouse under pressure from others (publisher, agent, fans, who knows). What I can say is that the story reads as a continuous tale up to and through God Emperor and changes with Heretics, at least it did to me. The later books by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert are very hit and miss. Some of them have been well told and added to the mythos of the DUNE series and to Dune itself while others were simply a waste of my time to read and were never finished. I have not read more than five of their books simply because I didn't feel they were worth the effort to read or the money to get the books. The last one I read, Paul of Dune, was actually good, but the only reason I bought it was because I was stuck in the hospital in Halifax, NS with my wife and had nothing to do besides sit and wait for her to get well enough for us to go home. It was good and added to the mythos, but don't read it until you've read Frank Herbert's books.
    I read them all! including Hunters and Sandworms. horrible..completely horrible. I didn't mind Paul of Dune, but it still had the Brian and Kevin feel and not what the true story should have been. I see there is another called Winds of Dune. I agree with everything you said too, kind of like how I pointed above to start with Dune. And I think it should have ended with God Emporer too.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Paul of Dune certianly lacked Frank's voice, but there were shadows of him throughout. Honestly, I think Anderson writes more of the novels than Brian, but I think Brian does the outlines and overall story direction. Kevin is a pretty good writer, but his stories are rarely as convoluted as the Dune books have been. Frank was a master at plots within plots within plots, but Brian has proven that he can't handle that quite so well.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So apparently Centipede Press is coming out with a deluxe set of the Dune novels. Sounds very exciting. Depending on the price and extras I'll definitely take a long hard look.

No real info yet, just speculation: http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3701

CP's latest couple of newsletters stated only "With the Dune contracts nailed down, it is time to start looking for artwork" with various artist names. Unless I missed something more substantial earlier.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    So apparently Centipede Press is coming out with a deluxe set of the Dune novels. Sounds very exciting. Depending on the price and extras I'll definitely take a long hard look.

No real info yet, just speculation: http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3701

CP's latest couple of newsletters stated only "With the Dune contracts nailed down, it is time to start looking for artwork" with various artist names. Unless I missed something more substantial earlier.
    Nope - that sounds right. Jerad has been adding links to each artist so you can see their work. I think that's pretty cool - allowing the fans to have a say in the artist - although that might delay the process. Maybe he'll get some various artwork from several of the artists. He had like 8 or so different artists lined up.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post

Nope - that sounds right. Jerad has been adding links to each artist so you can see their work. I think that's pretty cool - allowing the fans to have a say in the artist - although that might delay the process. Maybe he'll get some various artwork from several of the artists. He had like 8 or so different artists lined up.
    I'd be interested in this set. Dune is a great series and Centipede Press does a nice job with their books. I had a copy of their Ender's Game at one point and it was really a nice production.

This may wound like a stupid question, but how do you sign up for their newsletter?

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I talked to Jerad last year when he was thinking about doing this set and I think he said the price point would be ~$600+ for the set but don't hold me to that. I am going off of memory, I can't seem to find the email (damn auto-deletion).

[QUOTE=firemonkey66;1001446]
    Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post

I'd be interested in this set. Dune is a great series and Centipede Press does a nice job with their books. I had a copy of their Ender's Game at one point and it was really a nice production.

This may wound like a stupid question, but how do you sign up for their newsletter?
    Funny enough I don't remember. If you email Jerad he could probably set you up.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd only be interested in the first four books - they are the classics. Everything pales by comparison.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6