Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn! The Lovecraft thread

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

The Hellboy movie and comics got me into Lovecraft. I've got the "Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre" collection, with fantastic cover art by Michael Whelan. I understand there's a few of his stories involving a character named Randolph Carter, and one fantasy tale called "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath."

Is there any book out that collects all the Carter stories along with Dream Quest?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Take a look at the first post of this thread. The book in question collects everything by Lovecraft.

Along the Path of the Beam blaineworshipper is on a distinguished road blaineworshipper's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read 'The Moon Bog' by him quite a while ago and really enjoyed it. When the Necronomicon (sp?) came into Waterstones during Christmas, it was really only a matter of time until I got it...I finally gave into temptation a couple of days ago. I can't wait to have time to actually read it!
    Robert Frost: The Road Less Travelled
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence
    Two roads diverged in a wood
    And I took the one less traveled by
    And that has made all the difference.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly the Simon-necronomicon was a big overhyped disappointment for me
    I like the Tyson-Necronomicon alot more
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Along the Path of the Beam blaineworshipper is on a distinguished road blaineworshipper's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really? Oh, damn. Ah well...it's more Lovecraft than I had before, and that can only be a good thing =D .
    Robert Frost: The Road Less Travelled
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence
    Two roads diverged in a wood
    And I took the one less traveled by
    And that has made all the difference.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Just got a newsletter from here! tv which is a gay-themed pay-per-view channel. They have a new movie featured this coming month based on Cthulhu!!

Linkage: http://www.heretv.com/cthulhu/about
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Along the Path of the Beam Wilbur is on a distinguished road Wilbur's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm SOOOOOOOOO buying this book when i get paid! I've got the "Bloodcurdeling Tales" collection and i'm jonesin for more

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Just got a newsletter from here! tv which is a gay-themed pay-per-view channel. They have a new movie featured this coming month based on Cthulhu!!

Do they release their movies to video/dvd?
    I don't watch tv normally, but I suspect there's no way you'd get that channel here anyhow.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post

Do they release their movies to video/dvd?
    I don't watch tv normally, but I suspect there's no way you'd get that channel here anyhow.
    Actually, Brice, yes - they do release a lot of their films on DVD. I get mine from amazon when they come out.

Comcast in my area carries here!, not sure about other places.

ETA : and it's already out on DVD... here's the linkage : [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Jason-Cottle/dp/B001OSC4AQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1246540140&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Cthulhu: Jason Cottle, Casey Curran, Ethan Atkinson, Patrick McKnight, Cara Buono, Dennis Kleinsmith, Joe Shapiro, Ruby Wood, Hunter Stroud, Keifer Grimm, Rob Hamm, Scott Patrick Green, Dan Gildark, Alexis Ferris, Anne Rosellini, Douglas Light, Grant Cogswell, H.P. Lovecraft: Movies & TV[/ame]

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome! Thank you! I will have to pick that up sometime soon. I love all things lovecraft.

I've heard of Comcast so maybe we have it here , but as I said I really don't watch tv. If you added up all the time I've watched tv this year it might possibly equal about two hours.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a reminder, everyone. If you order it from Amazon, use the link at the bottom of this page--TDT.com gets some money!

John

Traveler uncle_whoopass is on a distinguished road uncle_whoopass's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does anybody know If there is a nicely set-out definitive collection of all his works? Never seen one except the one which is apparently full of mis-prints and spelling errors. Love this guy, very over-looked in the modern world which is a crying shame.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_whoopass View Post
    Does anybody know If there is a nicely set-out definitive collection of all his works? Never seen one except the one which is apparently full of mis-prints and spelling errors. Love this guy, very over-looked in the modern world which is a crying shame.
    I think that's the only collection at the moment that has the majority of his works. I've heard that Penguin's put out some nice annotated editions though.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Traveler uncle_whoopass is on a distinguished road uncle_whoopass's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_whoopass View Post
    I think that's the only collection at the moment that has the majority of his works. I've heard that Penguin's put out some nice annotated editions though.
    Thanks, will have to have a look

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like this book is out of print on BN. Ebay has them for $70. Any idea where I could get a copy at a reasonable price?

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by F1racefan View Post
    It looks like this book is out of print on BN. Ebay has them for $70. Any idea where I could get a copy at a reasonable price?
    Definitely don't get it for $70--I got mine for $12! I heard a second printing is being released soon, so you might want to wait for that. There's also a possibility that a local BN store might have one.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice F1racefan is on a distinguished road F1racefan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by F1racefan View Post
    Definitely don't get it for $70--I got mine for $12! I heard a second printing is being released soon, so you might want to wait for that. There's also a possibility that a local BN store might have one.
    I hope you are right I just can't see paying anything close to $70.

My Mood
    Gay

Okay Cthulhu fans... available over at woot today ( Monday ) .... CTHULHU BBQ !!!

To order : http://shirt.woot.com/

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love it. Cthulhu!

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Gay

Don't know if you all visit woot very much. It's one of my favorite sites and I check it daily for their sales and t-shirt. The best part though - is their write up on the item.

Now - woot shirts DO sell out frequently, so order early. They're $10 and that includes shipping.

This is todays description of the shirt :

Hey, August! Yeah, IAO IAO to you too, buddy! Listen, I just wanted to remind you about the cookout today. Right, I was setting out the potato salad and I figured maybe you forgot so… oh, there’s a pasta buffet at the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s place? No, no, I understand. You gotta network, right? It’s hard in the publishing world these days. Listen, it’s cool. We’ll get together next week or something. No, no problem at all, I’ll save you a burger. Right on. Talk to you soon.

James! Jimmy! It’s Tulu! Yeah, I just wanted to tell you, we had a few cancellations, so if you’re bringing any soda… oh. The pasta buffet. Yeah, I heard. No, no, I had that cookout thing today, I hadn’t heard about… yeah, it’s okay you forgot. We’re old buddies, right? We don’t have to see each other all the time! Listen, you have fun. No, I’m not jealous at all. He’s brand new, of course he gets all the attention. Look, I’ll just get someone else to get the soda. Hey, you too. Okay. Bye, James.

H.P.! My man, my man! Sounds like you’re in the car! I knew you’d be coming, you’re like my very best…. where? Aha. Ahaha. You’re a kidder! Of course we’re talking about my cookout! But I’m gonna need you to stop and pick up a two liter of… oh. The pasta buffet. No, no, I wasn’t actually invited. Yeah, all the nerds are there, I bet. They used to be here. But now they’re there. Well, I guess… I guess have fun, I guess. Maybe I’ll just wrap up all this meat and freeze it. No, no, you don’t have to come by later. No, don’t, I mean it. I probably will just go to sleep early anyway. No, it’s not depression, I’m just… just overworked. Yeah, I’m just gonna hang around ph’nglui mglw’nafh tonight, maybe listen to A Prairie Home Companion. But, you know, say hi to everyone there. It should be a real event. Okay, H.P. Okay. Bye. Yeah, soon, right. Soon.

Wear this shirt: when you don’t want to be described. For example, it’d be great in a police lineup. According to the Supreme Court, turning away screaming in terror is not a positive identification. Not even in Texas.

Don’t wear this shirt: when you don’t want to take any calls.

This shirt tells the world: “I’m really not that good when you first wake me up, I apologize in advance.”

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If anybody's interested, Hippocampus Press (http://www.hippocampuspress.com/), a small press that publishes great limiteds of Lovecraft's essays and letters and such, is coming out with a limited edition (1,000 copies) of ST Joshi's biography of HPL, a massive work in two volumes. I have their five-volume Collected Essays of HPL and the two-volume collection of letters Essential Solitude; they make great quality books. Here's what their newsletter said about this upcoming book:

NEW AND IMPROVED LOVECRAFT BIOGRAPHY.
    Yes, S. T. Joshi's revised and expanded HPL biography, I AM PROVIDENCE: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF H. P. LOVECRAFT is coming from Hippocampus, and we will initially make it available through an advance subscription. We envision this two volume set appearing in a limited hardcover edition of 1000 copies per volume. If any copies remain after the subscription period ends, they will be sold to the general public. Some sets will also be made available to our independent bookseller friends. We're not quite ready to start taking advance subscription orders, so please be patient.

Country
    Country Flag

It's available for pre-order now: http://www.hippocampuspress.com/love...rovidence.html

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm rather disturbed by the following news article i found on yahoo
    http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/...ves/46482.html

Apparently the plateau of leng exists right where lovecraft said it did
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn!

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn! The Lovecraft thread

Okay, it occurs to me that there isn't really a Lovecraft thread. Am I wrong? I can't find one. Anyhow I purposely didn't put this in the book or movie forums any as my hope is that it be for ALL things Lovecraftian. To start us off I present:

http://tentaclii.wordpress.com/2012/...ti-new-insect/

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast