Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn! The Lovecraft thread

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I don't recall that I have ever actually read anything by Lovecraft. I would not know where to start.
    Well, the book at the beginning at this thread is all you need.
    Literally.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    PLEASE EVERYBODY READ LOVECRAFT!!!!!!!!!! He is one of the finest, subtlest, most accomplished, and at the same time most powerful and imaginative authors that have ever written!

qft

Have you met his contemporaries yet, Jean? The other writers who wrote for weird tales and such who contributed to the Cthulu Mythos (which Lovecraft encouraged).

I read at least a couple of stories that now as I look at them seem absolutely Lovecraftian, but I don't remember the authors. Who could they be?
    Well, HPL's influence is so extensive on modern horror they really could be any of many authors. I'll compile a list for you though.
    August Derleth (who published quite alot of Lovecraft's works along with many of his contemporaries; he was not one of the great ones IMO, who dabbled in the Cthulu Mythos, but he was good and a personal friend of Lovecraft's whom he admired to some degree)

Clark Ashton Smith
    Manly Wade Wellman
    Fritz Leiber
    Robert Bloch (author of Psycho among many others)
    Robert E. Howard (Conan writer: in fact if you read some of the original Conan stories they have some connections to Lovecraft's Cthulu Mythos)
    There are more I'm forgetting I'm sure. Maybe I'll have a look around when I get home.

Some of Lovecraft's own influences were Lord Dunsany, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, Robert W. Chambers, and Gertrude Bennet(t?). If you're interested in who influenced Lovecraft though and which authors impressed him you should read Supernatural Horror In Literature by Lovecraft. I discovered some really good horror writers with this book.
    I don't recall that I have ever actually read anything by Lovecraft. I would not know where to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Literally.
    Then the question becomes with what story/stories?

My preference for a starting point is Polaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I've only read one of his stories, it was along time ago and was something to do with people worshipping some weird god type thing in a city...reminded me of Lud when I read DT for the first time.
    You could have gotten that impression from quite a few of his stories. You really should read some.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

PLEASE EVERYBODY READ LOVECRAFT!!!!!!!!!! He is one of the finest, subtlest, most accomplished, and at the same time most powerful and imaginative authors that have ever written!

qft

Have you met his contemporaries yet, Jean? The other writers who wrote for weird tales and such who contributed to the Cthulu Mythos (which Lovecraft encouraged).

I read at least a couple of stories that now as I look at them seem absolutely Lovecraftian, but I don't remember the authors. Who could they be?
    Well, HPL's influence is so extensive on modern horror they really could be any of many authors. I'll compile a list for you though.
    August Derleth (who published quite alot of Lovecraft's works along with many of his contemporaries; he was not one of the great ones IMO, who dabbled in the Cthulu Mythos, but he was good and a personal friend of Lovecraft's whom he admired to some degree)

Clark Ashton Smith
    Manly Wade Wellman
    Fritz Leiber
    Robert E. Howard (Conan writer: in fact if you read some of the original Conan stories they have some connections to Lovecraft's Cthulu Mythos)
    There are more I'm forgetting I'm sure. Maybe I'll have a look around when I get home.

Some of Lovecraft's own influences were Lord Dunsany, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, Robert W. Chambers, and Gertrude Bennet(t?). If you're interested in who influenced Lovecraft though and which authors impressed him you should read Supernatural Horror In Literature by Lovecraft. I discovered some really good horror writers with this book.
    Literally.

I've only read one of his stories, it was along time ago and was something to do with people worshipping some weird god type thing in a city...reminded me of Lud when I read DT for the first time.
    You could have gotten that impression from quite a few of his stories. You really should read some.
    What Brice said, my fellow horror nerd, Lovecraftian freak, and Poe pupae.

In addition to Brice's suggestion of "Polaris", may I also recommend the following first few stories:
    • The Cats of Ulthar
    • The Statement of Randolph Carter
    • The Call of Cthulhu
    • At the Mountains of Madness
    • Herbert West-Reanimator

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

qft

Clark Ashton Smith
    Manly Wade Wellman
    Fritz Leiber

Literally.

What Brice said, my fellow horror nerd, Lovecraftian freak, and Poe pupae.

In addition to Brice's suggestion of "Polaris", may I also recommend the following first few stories:
    • The Cats of Ulthar
    • The Statement of Randolph Carter
    • The Call of Cthulhu
    • At the Mountains of Madness
    • Herbert West-Reanimator
    Some great suggestions, but my preference when recommending stories to new Lovecraft readers is with the pre-Mythos dream cycle though of course there is some overlap there. Ultimately though it doesn't really matter where you start I suppose. His every word was brilliant.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

*nod* That's a good course of reading. My approach is to throw out a sampling of different lengths and types, so the new reader can see the variance in his work. I think that our dual-pronged approach should net us (insert Dagon joke here) a few more Lovecraftian devotees.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*nod* That's a good course of reading. My approach is to throw out a sampling of different lengths and types, so the new reader can see the variance in his work. I think that our dual-pronged approach should net us (insert Dagon joke here) a few more Lovecraftian devotees.

Pretty soon they'll all be eagerly waiting for cthulu to eat their souls...along with the rest of them suffering a slow agonizing death.

If you rescue me

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I have a copy now of 48 stories courtesy of a dear bear we know!!
    I will commence reading in a few minutes, and return with my thoughts !

Thanks Jean!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Literally.
    Begin at page one

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite Lovecraft stories are The Shadow over Innsmouth, its companion story The Thing On the Doorstep and The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

1st story is very enjoyable so far, nicely written, mayhap I need to mature to appreciate his style.

The answer is within

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

...or it may take a couple more stories. I suggest you pick short ones. Order really doesn't matter so much.

If you rescue me

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if we can't come up with a definitive list of King works with Lovecraft influences and/or mentions.

I am reading It at the moment, and King mentions Lovecraft when describing Boston in the early morning.

My Mood
    In Love

Brice my sweet, have you a recommendation then?
    I have checked the e-book file and it appears I have no
    listing of what the 48 stories are, I could carefully scroll
    down the pages , but alas I a so lazy!

The answer is within

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Polaris

If you rescue me

My Mood
    In Love

Thanks , I'll take a look see if it's one in the file

The answer is within

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It may not be his best (though I like it alot), but it's always seemed to me to be somewhat more accessable.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

I wonder if we can't come up with a definitive list of King works with Lovecraft influences and/or mentions.

I am reading It at the moment, and King mentions Lovecraft when describing Boston in the early morning.
    With the collective King knowledge on this site, I think we'll be able to tackle that.

Off the top of my head:
    IT - (what's the exact reference you meant, pablo?)
    IT - Some of the images in the "smoke house" scene are Lovecraftian.
    The Dark Tower series - Creatures of the prim
    The Dark Tower
    series - Use of term "The Great Old Ones"
    "Crouch End" - It's a Lovecraft tribute, specifically as part of a collection of modern Cthulhu mythos tales
    "The Mist" - Possibly a rip in the fabric between universes / thinny allowed the massive monsters to enter our world.
    From a Buick 8 - Something in this reminds me of a Moon Beast from Lovecraft.

Countless direct comments referring to "something out of Lovecraft" or the like. We will need to go through each piece individually to document this properly. There is also a lot of Lovecraftian imagery that we could count.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Clark Ashton Smith
    Manly Wade Wellman
    Fritz Leiber

I read some Bloch, and liked him, although would have never made any mental connection between him and Lovecraft - the styles are too radically different, and Bloch kinda stands on his own feet. As far as Howard is concerned, I tried to read him, and failed - his writing, say sorry, seemed pathetic to the bear... And of course, I read Machen - thanks to King and you personally - who is absolutely brilliant. I think I'll have a look at the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post

Thanks Jean!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The one I was talking about was a short story. I don't recall it exactly, but it involved some strange carnival like procession and drums that were like the god drums in Lud...I'll have to have a look through my books and see if I can find it...

Country
    Country Flag

IT - (what's the exact reference you meant, pablo?)
    The beginning of Chapter 7.

My Mood
    In Love

Such great imagery of the mind. Wonderful phrasing and terrific terror!
    I may indeed be able to comment further soon. Thanks again , for the
    books Jean.

The answer is within

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Clark Ashton Smith
    Manly Wade Wellman
    Fritz Leiber

I read some Bloch, and liked him, although would have never made any mental connection between him and Lovecraft - the styles are too radically different, and Bloch kinda stands on his own feet. As far as Howard is concerned, I tried to read him, and failed - his writing, say sorry, seemed pathetic to the bear... And of course, I read Machen - thanks to King and you personally - who is absolutely brilliant. I think I'll have a look at the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post

Thanks Jean!

Oh, yeah...as far as Bloch goes (while he's great on his own) here you'd be looking for strictly short stories ( oftentimes they have lovecraft like titles even and were published by Arkham House: Lovecraft's publisher) I think for the most part. The same is true with Howard. Here we are talking stories with direct connections to lovecraft's world. Lovecraft and these author's directly and intentionally referenced things in each other's stories. I could list more, but this'll get you started nicely. Or I suppose I could list specific stories.

Lisa, it's really not ringing a bell. Sorry! I'm no expert though. Alot of writers have written stories with connection to Lovecraft. I'd even go so far as to say most of modern horror owes some debt to him.

And today I just recieved my early birthday present to myself- a first edition Tales Of The Cthulu Mythos.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Worried

The one I was talking about was a short story. I don't recall it exactly, but it involved some strange carnival like procession and drums that were like the god drums in Lud...I'll have to have a look through my books and see if I can find it...
    Are you thinking of "The Festival"? I adore that story.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I've only started becoming interested in Lovecraft recently, but i do love the short stories i've read so far. The Statemen of Randolph Carter certainly gave me the creeps!

I must say that, although i haven't read much of his work, i have seen a LOT of references recently. A couple of Doctor Who Expanded Universe have explicitly connected some of the monsters in the show with some of the Old Ones in the Lovecraft mythology, and in a comic strip in 2000AD set in Victorian times, there were several slight injokes, most notably a book in one panel clearly labelled "Necronomicon". So his impact is certainly undeniable!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Worried

Yes, that's a particularly good story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast