Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn! The Lovecraft thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn! The Lovecraft thread

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/HP-...9781435107939/

In the 1920s and ‘30s, H.P. Lovecraft pioneered a new type of weird fiction that fused elements of supernatural horror with the concepts of visionary science fiction. Lovecraft’s tales of cosmic horror revolutionized modern horror fiction and earned him the reputation as the most influential American writer of weird tales since Edgar Allan Poe.

This omnibus collects for the first time in a single volume all of Lovecraft’s groundbreaking fiction: “The Call of Cthulhu,” “The Dreams in the Witch House,” “The Haunter of the Dark,” “At the Mountains of Madness,” “The Shadow out of Time,” “The Shadow over Innsmouth,” the full-length novels The Case of Charles Dexter Ward and The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath, and many others.

H.P. Lovecraft: The Fiction is part of Barnes & Noble’s Library of Essential Writers. Each title in the series presents the finest works—complete and unabridged—from one of the greatest writers in literature in magnificent, elegantly designed hardback editions. Every volume also includes an original introduction that provides the reader with enlightening information on the writer’s life and works.

Publisher: Barnes & Noble
    Pub. Date: October 2008
    ISBN-13: 9781435107939
    1120pp
    $12.95

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I'm buying it.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never read any Lovecraft. I think I will buy this too!

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

/gasp

And it's so inexpensive!

I wish there were a Barnes & Noble here. :[

Hopefully it's the same price in Borders.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idk, my bff jill? View Post
    /gasp

And it's so inexpensive!

I wish there were a Barnes & Noble here. :[

Hopefully it's the same price in Borders.
    But you can order online.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    But you can order online.
    Yeah, but I hate having to pay extra for shipping, and I enjoy buying books in person, holding them, skimming through them, and being able to read them as soon as I get home.

But if it's expensive at Borders, I'll probably end up buying it online. =)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a REALLY good price. I've read all of Lovecraft already, and I sold all my Arkham House books a year or so ago, but I just may pick this up!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

bn now has an exact release date: 10/18. so a week to release

on a side not, is the complete in the title of this book a reference to a complete collection of lovecraft or is the complete a refernce to the completeness of the items included in the book?

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Looks like I need to show this to Mr. Woofer.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I need this now, even though I believe I've read all his stories.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post
    bn now has an exact release date: 10/18. so a week to release

on a side not, is the complete in the title of this book a reference to a complete collection of lovecraft or is the complete a refernce to the completeness of the items included in the book?
    It is complete, in a sense that this is all of the fiction he wrote. There are more stories that he wrote in collaboration with others, or stories he revised for others, and one such I think is included here. Rumor has it there will be another book collecting these collaborations and revisions, but as far as original fiction, this is all of it.

Country
    Country Flag

Just called my local BN and they have a whopping one copy in. Asked to set it aside and will pick it up on the way home tonight.

Country
    Country Flag

This is a great book, guys. I highly recommend you get one. For thirteen bucks you can't go wrong.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Of course it's a great book, it's all of Howard Phillips Lovecraft's works. How can it NOT be great??

From "The Call of Cthulhu" - "It seemed to be a sort of monster, or symbol representing a monster, of a form which only a diseased fancy could conceive. If I say that my somewhat extravagant imagination yielded simultaneous pictures of an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature, I shall not be unfaithful to the spirit of the thing. A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque and scaly body with rudimentary wings; but it was the general outline of the whole which made it most shockingly frightful."

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." ... "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

my bn didn't have it.....so i ordered it

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never read an H.P. Lovecraft story before... Would it be overwhelming for all of them at once?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I've never read an H.P. Lovecraft story before... Would it be overwhelming for all of them at once?
    Since I don't know you much, I can't say. But since you're a Tower Junkie, I'd say that you'd probably do better than most. Especially since King lists Lovecraft as one of (if not his most) important influence in writing. King's done several stories in homage to Lovecraft's work. Jerusalem's Lot being a big one.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd take them rather slowly. Lovecraft is more of an acquired taste than a really "popular" writer. Don't forget most of his stuff was written in the '20s and '30s. He has almost no dialogue in his stories either. But the imagination he shows is MAGNIFICENT!

John

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How hard is Lovecraft to read? Say, compared to Shakespeare, Dickens, Poe, etc.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

I think he is very easy to read, but I've been reading his works a long time so I'm not objective.

Country
    Country Flag

Lovecraft uses archaic words somewhat often, but otherwise he writes exceptionally well. So read by a computer if you can, so you could peek at Wiktionary in case you need to.

If anyone hasn't yet read any Lovecraft, this is the best book to get. It's very cheap, and contains everything.

By the way, Stephen King's recent short story (novella?) "N." is said to be Lovecraftian. I haven't watched the online series; waiting for the book.

Country
    Country Flag

There will be a second edition published by Barnes & Noble to correct the myriad of typos that crept up into the text. It will be the definitive textual presentation of these stories when it's published.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's Barnes & Noble. They'll never fix all the typos. It's like a rule or something.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

The texts were meticulously combed for errors, check the link I provided. They all will be taken into account and will comprise the complete definitive texts once and for all.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not that I doubt you, I've just seen B&N's work before.

Frankly, they should have combed it the first time.

I had a copy of Middlemarch, I think, that had a bazillion typos AND a "repeat" of about 30 or so pages in it. Amazing.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast