11 25.58%
  • He is an adult.

5 11.63%
  • He is somewhere between.

27 62.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jake

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Jake

Let's talk about him a little bit more.
    Do you like him?
    Is he a child or an adult in your eyes?

If you ask me I see him as a very brave child with a gunslinger heart and abilities but he is still a kid in my eyes.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Towards the end, I saw him as grown up. In my opinion, the depth of someones maturity is based almost entirely on experience.

I would want the guy backing me up for any fight I was in and I would never feel that way about a child.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I see Jake as being some of both. You could make arguments for him being either that would sound logical, so I voted for the both option. Yes, by the end of the story, he has grown in maturity by leaps and bounds (in fact he's more mature than some people I know around my age in some ways ). He is able to handle the responsibilties of an adult, and is able to execute his adult responsibilites with great efficiency. Also, as Matt mentioned, Jake already has more life experience than some people have in their entire lives, so that adds to his maturity.

At the same time, he also still retains a lot of what makes a kid, a kid. In the heat of the battle he clearly displays the heart of a true Gunslinger, but during the downtime, when he is not performing any of his duty of being a Gunslinger, he can just transform into a kid again. Laughing at silly jokes with Eddie, having the thoughts that someone of his age would be having, and seeing his experiences, and the world, through the eyes of someone his age. He manages to hold onto his youthful emotions, even while being able to have a backbone of steel when need be, but he also still retains the emotions of someone his age, he is just able to store those away when performing his duties as a Gunslinger, but then he is able to revert back to some sort of a normal boy when his duties have been completed. One thing from book 7 that exemplifies this, which I will mark with a spoiler tag is.
    Spoiler:
    Even after all that Jake has been through, and just after losing the man whom he considers an older Brother, he is thunderstruck when given his very first kiss by Dani Rostov, and as he said, he did remember that for the rest of his sadly shortened life.

Gunslinger Apprentice Chassit is on a distinguished road Chassit's Avatar

Somewhere in between. As Matt mentioned, Jake would certainly make a good back up...Hell, Id be the back up LOL!

XIX
    "See the TURTLE of enormous girth,
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    If you want to run and play,
    Come along the BEAM today."

NFA JJG 42-95

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted child, as Nikolett did. Kids are all different, you know. If you look at military history, you'll see a lot of kids behaving like little adults, fighting and dying and doing all that adult stuff; and still remaining children, which could be seen at the moments of peace, or when those who survived were placed back into normal environment. They never were "like any other kids", but then again, what kid is?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The way he loves Oy.. the way the can open his heart to a little animal.. and the way he can forgive things..
    He is too clean to be an adult.
    Does it make any sense?

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I voted adult, I think he shows responsibility for himself and others, and that is my idea of what it means to be an adult...and Iabsolutely agree I'd have his back-up anyday!!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I voted child, as Nikolett did. Kids are all different, you know. If you look at military history, you'll see a lot of kids behaving like little adults, fighting and dying and doing all that adult stuff; and still remaining children, which could be seen at the moments of peace, or when those who survived were placed back into normal environment. They never were "like any other kids", but then again, what kid is?
    We are alone, my friend.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    1. The way he loves Oy.. the way the can open his heart to a little animal.. and the way he can forgive things..
    2. He is too clean to be an adult.
    Does it make any sense?
    1. I don't think loving Oy or opening his heart has anything to do with him being a child.

2. Generally speaking, I don't believe in children's purity. I am inclined to differ purity as virtue from innocence caused by ignorance (which we too often mistake for purity in children).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

1. The way he loves Oy.. the way the can open his heart to a little animal.. and the way he can forgive things..
    Does it make any sense?
    1. I don't think loving Oy or opening his heart has anything to do with him being a child.

2. Generally speaking, I don't believe in children's purity. I am inclined to differ purity as virtue from innocence caused by ignorance (which we too often mistake for purity in children).
    1. As I wrote it the way he loved him... not the fact but the way.

2. I can see your point Jean but I don't agree. I suffered so much as a child from other children.. they hurt me every single day and when I went to sleep and when nobody saw me I cried for hours.
    Of course it doesn't mean I didn't cry in fron of them. I did. So if someone I know how evil children can be believe me Jean.
    But I am over it and I see children.
    They can be nasty they can be evil.. but still I say there is something so innocent and good in all of them... the oh so clear desire to be loved and accepted.
    Time and this world can kill it out.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Does it make any sense?

2. I can see your point Jean but I don't agree. I suffered so much as a child from other children.. they hurt me every single day and when I went to sleep and when nobody saw me I cried for hours.
    Of course it doesn't mean I didn't cry in fron of them. I did. So if someone I know how evil children can be believe me Jean.
    They can be nasty they can be evil.. but still I say there is something so innocent and good in all of them... the oh so clear desire to be loved and accepted.

No, it can't.

I voted child too. The mere fact that circumstance forced him to behave in mature ways sometimes doesn't negate him being a child nor is it even related to the matter.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Does it make any sense?

No, it can't.
    I hope you don't think that you could convince me.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted child. I guess one could argue that he "won a test of manhood" after the fight with the Wolves (or in the Dixie Pig) but his manliness would only be in two of the seven books so for me, Jake is a child.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Does it make any sense?

No, it can't.

...and why would you hope that dear?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Does it make any sense?

No, it can't.

You might try to convince me and let me know some more details about your view. *hopes*

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Does it make any sense?

No, it can't.

You might try to convince me and let me know some more details about your view. *hopes*
    Hmm..I don't know that I can convince you...you suggested that time and the world can kill that childlike desire to be loved and accepted. I maintain that it can't ...maybe it sleeps but it's still there IMO.

If you rescue me

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

More so than Eddie and Susannah, I saw Jake as a natural born gunslinger. He had things about him which made him both childlike and adultlike, in my opinion.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Country
    Country Flag

Brice, now I see your point. The question is if someonething is so damn deep in a human soul that noone is able to dig it out... can we count with it?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Brice, now I see your point. The question is if someonething is so damn deep in a human soul that noone is able to dig it out... can we count with it?
    ...and the answer is that I don't think that anything is buried so deep in anyone that it can't be dug up pretty easy. Ya' just gotta' dig in the right places.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

...and the answer is that I don't think that anything is buried so deep in anyone that it can't be dug up pretty easy. Ya' just gotta' dig in the right places.
    And that's why I love you so much. Even if we don't exactly agree about this question. However I wish I could.

Traveler Jake Chambers is on a distinguished road Jake Chambers's Avatar

He's an adult..

Responsibility, experience, seen more than enough to be considered an adult. Maturity comes not with age but with wisdom and experience. So in my book he's an adult.
    "Go then there are other worlds than these..."

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

And that's why I love you so much. Even if we don't exactly agree about this question. However I wish I could.

If you rescue me

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A child.

He still has those childhood fears (the mindtrap being a prime example) also what Vols said in the spoiler tags. Yet, much more than just this.

I'm not sure I could pinpoint the exact moment in a persons life when they become an adult (I'm sure it would differ too) - but its not solely age OR experience - more a combination of the two. Even though I would very sincerely respect Jake and the experiences he has had, he'd still be a child to me.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bump.

Seriously, no-one wants to discuss Jake?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Bump.

Seriously, no-one wants to discuss Jake?
    Me! Me! Me!
    But... I have been always around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast