Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How long have you been collecting books?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • <5 Years

44 29.73%
  • 5-10 Years

23 15.54%
  • 11-20 Years

37 25.00%
  • 21-30 Years

25 16.89%
  • 30+ Years

19 12.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How long have you been collecting?

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I officially became a collector on December 2nd, 2010.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I've probably already posted this, but I consider the collecting 'bug' to have bitten me in 1974 when I bought the 1st edition hardcover of THE GRAY PRINCE by Jack Vance hot off the bookstore's new release table. So that makes it only 37 years so far. I just wish all those bookstores were still around like they used to be.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I was born in 1974! I've been buying books for a long time and sort of followed a natural progression from getting second-hand Dutch paperbacks to English-language hardcover editions but I would say I really started collecting after finding a list of 1st edition King book covers online and logging in on eBay for the first time. This was probably around six years ago and I have learned a lot since then, especially from the collectors on this site.

I have sold a lot over the past two years, all my Dutch King books and also a good number of proofs. I'm trimming my collection down to the bare essentials and I'm upgrading a bunch of books to at least NF condition. Once I'm done it will be full speed ahead again.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

New members, please chime in.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Again.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Again.
    Really!! I know there a few folks out there that could weigh in. "Skyofcrack, Bdwyer19?....You know who you are!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, I know who I am!! Here goes... I've been reading Stephen King for a good 25 years (am 39 now). The first book I read was Salem's Lot, and loved how absolutely terrifying it was (and started my love of horror movies too). I became an avid King reader immediately, and started buying more and more books. Before I knew it, I had a pretty solid collection of 1st edition hardcovers, which continued to grow over the years. It wasn't until a few years ago (after I earned a little extra cash after a successful Vegas trip!!) that I decided it was time to get my first SK signed book, which turned out to be a PC copy of The Colorado Kid. And from that point on, the bug had officially bit me. I've added a few more S/Ls the past few years, and someday I just might actually see a S/L Salem's Lot on my bookshelf.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like it was 1958 Hell I had to it was a COLLECTOR'S EDITION.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just realized, here I am extolling posts in this thread and I failed to post one myself! LOL So here goes................. I have been reading King since 1975, starting with "The Shining". Worked my way back and have anxiously awaited every publication since (except Faithful). I was tortured by the ebb and flow of "DT" books and did not begin serious collecting until the late 90's. I forget the exact year. I am a veteran of TDT.Net and ultimately this absolutely wondeful site and community. I go a little overboard with the Haven Fundraiser each year and work very closely with Dolso on the "Case Art Editions" we developed. I am great friends with Dolso, RF and Ben Staad as well as a host of other wonderful members.

How's that?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I just realized, here I am extolling posts in this thread and I failed to post one myself! LOL So here goes................. I have been reading King since 1975, starting with "The Shining". Worked my way back and have anxiously awaited every publication since (except Faithful). I was tortured by the ebb and flow of "DT" books and did not begin serious collecting until the late 90's. I forget the exact year. I am a veteran of TDT.Net and ultimately this absolutely wondeful site and community. I go a little overboard with the Haven Fundraiser each year and work very closely with Dolso on the "Case Art Editions" we developed. I am great friends with Dolso, RF and Ben Staad as well as a host of other wonderful members.

How's that?
    We own a Ltd edition together. Now THAT'S close! lol

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

How's that?
    We own a Ltd edition together. Now THAT'S close! lol
    LOL Yes that is true, and you were, of course, a member of that "host" I spoke of!!! Alan, was kind enough to donate to "The Shriner's" Hospital, who had so supported and helped Michael Bender (My Nephew) over the years, as an honorarium for me being his proxy for the S/L of 11/22/63. He never batted an eye!!! Just another wonderful member of this community!!!!

He's a very "Good" man, if anyone was wondering!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

And it was an honour to donate, Bill. A wonderful cause.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Course he is, all Scots are
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Newcomers-please answer the poll and chime in if you so desire.

Gunslinger Apprentice Greg will become famous soon enough Greg will become famous soon enough Greg's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Chiming away. The first King book I read was IT in 1986, at age 16 and was instantly hooked. Worked my way through everything I could lay my hands on but my first big purchase came years later when I landed a 1st Gunslinger from a guy in Nottingham via the Book Collector mag in England. This was in '93ish and when I saw it listed in the mag for sale I contacted the seller only to get his wife, I made her promise that she was not to let that book go to anyone else under any circumstances, I must have come across as a real headcase because I was so stoked at finding a fine 1st of a Gunslinger due to the fact that they were as rare as rockinghorse shit in the UK. Bearing in mind this was before the wonders of t'interweb so it was furious negotiation over the phone etc.. I received the book ( which is still with me )and that's when it all began. I have bought much and I have sold much but what I now own is what I treasure. Cheers.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been reading Stephen King for 25+ years. The first SK book I read was ... think Carrie?
    I became an avid King reader immediately, and started buying all German books.
    Later i start with SK promo Stuff and sig lim SK books, my first lim was ES EDITION PHANTASIA and my first s/l was Dolan´s Cadillac.
    I also collect a lot of other authors, Ray Bradbury, Joe Hill, R.B. Parker, Tolkien, several German authors and s/l anthologies.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have been an avid reader for a while, but didn't really start collecting until about November of 2011. I have now found that I buy at least two copies of a book. A nice one (first edition, s/l, collectors edition, ect.) and a reading copy (usually paperback, book club or later printing). I have always been a collector of something or other since I was a kid. I've gone from baseball cards, hockey cards, guns, musical instruments, coins now to books and a smaller degree comics of King And Hill. I frequent several bookstores every week and love the thrill of finding something I don't have or is just an all around great deal. I also have intentions of reading every book I purchase. I'm just not sure at this point if that's possible.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's been about 30 years-first book I read were Pet Cemetery and IT. I've bought a few proofs, signed limiteds etc etc in the following years! I've met some really great people during this time. I've been hooked ever since.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow! 30 years and still haven't read the dt series. You should probably consider doing that.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I just loved listening to them all on audio books!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

New members, please indicate and comment...or not.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not so new, but never saw this thread *shrug*.

I picked <5 years since that is when I really started seriously collecting his books, but I have been a constant reader since '88-89 (no I don't remember exactly which year it was I bought that 11th printing pb of IT and stayed up with all the lights on in the house many nights in a row reading it). In the early '90s I found the Stephen King Library book club and promptly joined up, at that time I was unaware of bce/1/1/s/l/gift/artist edition concepts, I just wanted the books, I loved reading his stuff. In the late '90s I had to stop the subscription due to hard times. So I consider myself to actually have collected for more like 20yrs, and I have shelves and shelves of bce/pb's to prove it. hehe
    Christine

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

On 09/23/11 my collecting began when Mr. King personalized a book for my brother-in-law who had recently passed. I bought the 1/1 Gunslinger for my wife as a gift on the 1-year anniversary since it is her favorite book and they both loved to read S.K. I remember being shocked at how much a Gunslinger 1/1 went for. Not long after that, the S/L edition of IT came out by CD and since it was my favorite book and there was already a signed book in the bookcase...

My only regret is that when I met Mr. King in VA I did not take the dozens of times read, dog eared, cover ripped off copy of IT I first read as a 14-year old kid. It was the only book I literally stopped reading because it scared me. At the time I was too embarassed to take a torn up copy, but it would have the most personal value to me.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Thats a great inscription Thanks for sharing
    reality continues to ruin my life

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bumped for newer members to respond to the poll.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast