Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How long have you been collecting books?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • <5 Years

44 29.73%
  • 5-10 Years

23 15.54%
  • 11-20 Years

37 25.00%
  • 21-30 Years

25 16.89%
  • 30+ Years

19 12.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How long have you been collecting?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I am probably the only King collector who found out about Grant Books because they sold a book by Stephen R. Donaldson called Daughter of Regals (probably the most beautiful Grant book I own). Only because I was looking for that book, did I find out that they also published Stephen King/Dark Tower books. lol
    Great anecdote.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

I've been buying/collecting books since I was 15, but I started seriously collecting King in 2001. That's when I got my first real job that paid more then 10 bucks an hour

I soon grew frustrated with not being able to find out exactly what books were out there and how much they were worth. That's why I started my site.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Great to see you here collector
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Tomas! So glad to see you!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome Thomas.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I was 14, just lately had the money to get some serious shopping done

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Good for you. Having money and starting now is a good thing-it's a buyers market. Prices are lower on most things now than 5+ years ago.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

But do you think that many of the items that collectors will want are available?

Well - maybe I am wrong because never (until now) had I seen a lettered Firestarter on eBay...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that most things a beginning collector wants are readily available.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Heck, there are still books out there from time to time that I want but pass on bidding for.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I realized I voted in the poll but never posted!

I have been collecting for about 10 years but reading King for much longer than that. The first "collectible" King book I ever bought was a flawless original 1978 first edition of The Stand from Stu at Bett's Books. I remember distinctly paying $250 for it and thinking I must be crazy paying so much for a book. Now, I shudder as to how much $$ I have spent on my collection. Collecting King is a hobby that is never dull for me and offers the opportunity to learn something completely new on a fairly regular basis.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps some of our newest members would care to vote and comment.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't even elevate what I do to the level of being called collecting. There are a few things that I'm working on. I've always wanted a decent set of hardcovers for the entire Dark Tower series, and a few other books.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

King was my intro to book collecting. the dark tower intoduced me to the world of limited editions. I have now branched into collecting bradbury, faulkner, hemingway and mccarthy.... The obsession is spreading!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    I wouldn't even elevate what I do to the level of being called collecting. There are a few things that I'm working on. I've always wanted a decent set of hardcovers for the entire Dark Tower series, and a few other books.
    We all start somewhere, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post
    King was my intro to book collecting. the dark tower intoduced me to the world of limited editions. I have now branched into collecting bradbury, faulkner, hemingway and mccarthy.... The obsession is spreading!
    Please consider starting a thread in the Collections subforum. I'd love to see your King and non-King collectible books.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post
    obsession or disease? lol

It’s nice that you also collect Bradbury.

I honestly think Bradbury and King are the two greatest living American writers. Sure you can pull names like McCarthy out, but when you think about the sheer volume of work Bradbury and King have done, and how both of these writers have influenced just about everything in American culture today, you have to put these two on a pedestal.
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a big SK fan but probably not a collector, I collect other items (statues lol) so I don't have a whole lot of funds so I can't afford the S/L's.

Since maybe 2005 i've been slowly trying to get a nice hardback edition of each of King's novels, i've got a few signed books and most of the semi-affordable gift editions and of course I pick up a 1st edition of his latest title.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent. Welcome to Calvin's Corner.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I've been a SK fan since the early 1980s, but I actually didn't procure what might be considered collectible until early in 2007 when I got a signed copy of Postscripts 10 (with Joe Hill signature also!). Then I purchased a first edition of The Dead Zone signed & dated 4/5/80 by Stephen King for $140 (I just had to replace the rather old dust jacket), and then the danger spread!

So far I have those two and:
    • Signed 1st/4th of Different Seasons
    • S/L The Ideal, Genuine Man by Don Robertson
    • Signed/Dated 1st/8th printing of Cujo
    • Signed 1st/1st of Lisey's Story
    • Signed 1st/1st paperback of Best American Short Stories 2007
    • S/L #428 of A Life in the Cinema by Mick Garris, intro by SK
    • Signed 1st/3rd of On Writing
    • Flat Signed 1st/1st British edition of Bag of Bones
    • Signed 1st/1st of Duma Key
    • S/L #628 of The Gunslinger Audio Cassette from 1989
    • Signed (on cover) 1st printing of It

Fortunately, I was able to get Best American Short Stories 2007 just by calling Harvard Book Store in advance of SK’s October 2007 appearance and pre-ordering it at cover price, and Duma Key at cover less 30% from Barnes and Noble in Sarasota by chance.
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A nice collection so far!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I bought my first collectible when I was in 10th or 11th grade. I shelled out $200 for a first edition of The Gunslinger. This was in '87 or '88. If I remember correctly the seller advertised it in the classifieds of Castle Rock. I didn't think of it as a collectible at the time--it was just the only way I could get my hands on the book to read it. And I absolutely HAD to read it. Still have it. It's in mint condition. Worth every penny

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    I bought my first collectible when I was in 10th or 11th grade. I shelled out $200 for a first edition of The Gunslinger. This was in '87 or '88. If I remember correctly the seller advertised it in the classifieds of Castle Rock. I didn't think of it as a collectible at the time--it was just the only way I could get my hands on the book to read it. And I absolutely HAD to read it. Still have it. It's in mint condition. Worth every penny
    If you shelled out ~$200 for it and it is in mint condition, then it certainly is worth every penny-and about 70,000 more pennies
    Congrats on a wise purchase, and careful handling of the book.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps some of our newest members can answer the poll.

bangoskank1

been collecting for about 25 years or so..I think maybe my prized possesion is the original screenplay to christine signed by the cast and director and some other peeps i dont know...and of course the master himself...

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's a pretty cool item! You must love it! Make sure you feed it and clothe it and tuck it in at night.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast