View Poll Results: How long have you been collecting books?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • <5 Years

44 29.73%
  • 5-10 Years

23 15.54%
  • 11-20 Years

37 25.00%
  • 21-30 Years

25 16.89%
  • 30+ Years

19 12.84%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: How long have you been collecting?

Gunslinger Apprentice Jud Crandall will become famous soon enough Jud Crandall will become famous soon enough Jud Crandall's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I'd say I began collecting sometime in 2010, with the S/L Under the Dome. Or when Blockade Billy came out, whichever came first. Before then I had no idea the scope of editions available, from magazine 1st appearances to lavish signed limiteds. I'm not too hardcore about it, but I get what I can afford or what interests me personally.

Along the Path of the Beam ajw2910 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I've been collecting for a long time since I never get rid of any of my books, but probably really started getting more serious when I bought the 1st edition of The Drawing of the Three back in 1987. That got me looking more at first editions which then led to S/L's. Not sure when I got my first S/L, but I now have a bunch from many different authors. It's a sickness..........

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ajw2910 View Post
    It's a sickness..........
    Who let the secret out???

John

Gunslinger Apprentice ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285 will become famous soon enough ke7285's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

My first collectable was The Gunslinger, bought at a bookstore in Portland, Me in 1983. Was already a fan of Stephen King and this was a book I had not seen or heard of sent in the postcard to get on DMG's mailing list rest is history. Still have the book, best $20 I've spent!!! Wish I would have spent a little more for the s/l back then.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

New members? Please respond.

Servant of Gan amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess its subjective, but I would say I made the conscious decision in July 2014. (that's when I started searching ebay to buy 1st/1sts I didn't already own). I have been trying to buy 1st/1st's of SK since Misery (although I didn't really know anything about printings, just wanted to get the books as soon as they came out, before the paperbacks). My first collectible was Secretary of Dreams, which I happened to see on Amazon when searching for King books to make sure nothing came out while I wasn't paying attention. My order was canceled as they couldn't fulfill it, so I learned about Cemetery Dance and ordered from them. I then preordered SOD 2 when that was announced (was a little miffed that I didn't receive it for another 3 years)
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Blockade Billy Lettered edition

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi. My name is James, and I have a problem...

I ran across a hardcover (BCE, of course) of Misery in an antique store roughly ten years ago. And that was the one that awoke something inside of me. I had read it before when I was younger, maybe at the age of 10-12, along with other classic King books from the encouragement of my Mom (a pretty big King fan in her day!). It was a fantastic read, and I wanted more. I've been collecting comics since I was a kid, so now moving over to 1st edition hardcovers was a pretty simple adjustment. I soon after discovered Tomas' SK Collector site, which paved the way for me to start seriously, and knowledgeably, collecting. This was way before I had an iPhone, so I printed out the Identifying US First Editions page and carried it around with me everywhere I went, just in case.

It was only a matter of time; LSOE in '09 began my gift edition collection, and the George Mason event in 2011 began my autograph collection. I finally completed my US 1st edition collection with Rage earlier this year, and am now focusing on UK 1sts (up to IT) and signed books.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Hi. My name is James, and I have a problem...
    Hi James....
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    I ran across a hardcover (BCE, of course) of Misery in an antique store roughly ten years ago. And that was the one that awoke something inside of me. I had read it before when I was younger, maybe at the age of 10-12, along with other classic King books from the encouragement of my Mom (a pretty big King fan in her day!). It was a fantastic read, and I wanted more. I've been collecting comics since I was a kid, so now moving over to 1st edition hardcovers was a pretty simple adjustment. I soon after discovered Tomas' SK Collector site, which paved the way for me to start seriously, and knowledgeably, collecting. This was way before I had an iPhone, so I printed out the Identifying US First Editions page and carried it around with me everywhere I went, just in case.

It was only a matter of time; LSOE in '09 began my gift edition collection, and the George Mason event in 2011 began my autograph collection. I finally completed my US 1st edition collection with Rage earlier this year, and am now focusing on UK 1sts (up to IT) and signed books.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I went with less than 5 years. While I've always collected books since I can remember, starting with Goosebumps when I was a wee tot. I used to only get trade editions, some hardcovers, but lots of paperbacks, didn't know or care about printings. However I only started getting limited edition books around 2012.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

New members, please answer the poll, and feel free to post a comment.

Vagrant Dead MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of MikeDuke has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Mellow

I have been a King fan since I was 13 but I started to collect in, I think 2004.
    I'm a Rebel in the F.D.G

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow has much to be proud of wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

My first book purchased was an original Stand from Stu at Betts...I still have the book but the receipt ink has totally faded to nothing! Pretty sure I bought it for $250 at the time (I believe this was 1985)...so a collector for 35 years? YIKES!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Great Old One Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing has much to be proud of Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I've just "discovered" I'm getting old.
    I'm 27...and I started collecting when I was 15 (Not S. King at this time, but other authors. I started with King when I was 19)(Yes...19....everything is tower related, even me ).
    Now I'm 40, so it's been 21 years.

Wow.
    Wanted list:
    The Plant #3 Unsigned.

Servant of Gan amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013 is a splendid one to behold amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

wow the thread was started 13 years ago, so a lot of the answers have changed since then. perhaps an updated poll with "when" instead of "how long", since it wouldn't be relative to when you answered.
    Wanted:

Gunslinger Apprentice Dr. Dawg is on a distinguished road Dr. Dawg's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I started collecting around 2004 or 2005 with a S/L of Black House (still one of my favorite editions despite it's high limitation). In 2012-13, I sold off my collection and started easing back in 2-3 years ago. My biggest regrets from that sell off are letting go of my IT S/L and the CP Salem's Lot gift edition in Collectors Traycase with prints... I think it was a relatively down market at that time too.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    wow the thread was started 13 years ago, so a lot of the answers have changed since then. perhaps an updated poll with "when" instead of "how long", since it wouldn't be relative to when you answered.
    I think I can "strip" the poll and start a new one without losing all of the comments.
    What verbiage, choices would you suggest?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    I think I can "strip" the poll and start a new one without losing all of the comments.
    What verbiage, choices would you suggest?
    When did you start collecting:

pre 70's
    70's
    80's
    90-95
    95-99
    2000-2005
    2005-2010
    2010-2015
    2015-2020
    post 2020

Just a suggestion.
    Wanted:

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can do it, but we lose all 144 previous selections, and start from scratch.

Other worlds Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick has a brilliant future Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I've read King for many years - probably started around 1982, maybe earlier, but I didn't keep track of the books I bought. Often they were lent to friends and never seen again - such as the compilation of the four Bachman books that is out of print.

I started reading the Dark Tower books in 1992.

I began collecting King's books in November 2004 when I started buying the S/Ls of the Dark Tower series.
    Glad I answered the question 13 years ago - not certain I’d remember now.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz has much to be proud of lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How about a new thread?

This one is really neat and I liked reading it (especially people re-responding after 13 years!), but I am also curious about when other people started collecting.

It would also be interesting to see how the collecting demographics of this community have changed since its inception. For example, the current poll has <5 years and 11-20 years as the most common response. All those same people would now be 11-20 or 21-30 years! How many "newer" (<5 year) collectors are here now?

Fun stuff!
    Please help me find:
    RED SNAKESKIN HORNS
    from Suntup Editions

The Citadel of the Autarch, #100
    Chimera II
    from Centipede Press

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    How about a new thread?

This one is really neat and I liked reading it (especially people re-responding after 13 years!), but I am also curious about when other people started collecting.

It would also be interesting to see how the collecting demographics of this community have changed since its inception. For example, the current poll has <5 years and 11-20 years as the most common response. All those same people would now be 11-20 or 21-30 years! How many "newer" (<5 year) collectors are here now?

Fun stuff!
    So start a new poll and thread! I empower you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5