Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club?

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i thought we had our leaders. woofer and ves. with a fill in to boot. did i miss something and they dropped out? also, i thought we had decided that we would start on november 1 and keep the same book through december becuase of all the holidays. and then pick another book january 1st for all of january. again, did i miss something?

as for TKAM all i can say is - woohoo!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, I don't think you missed anything. I would like to know who exactly I am going to be in close contact with regarding all technicalities.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, i see. well, i think that will change depending on when ves has her two weeks with those pesky marines. damn, we don't have a solider smilie. maybe this can do:

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For example, the leader should now start announcing, in a loud a clear voice, so that everyone concerned will hear it, that it's time for all who are going to participate to make plans of where and how To Kill a Mockingbird is going to be acquired

The good news is that now that we have a whole subsection, we won't have to worry about those merges. We'll see how we proceed and will figure out the best way of organizing the threads - but only after a few book discussions.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I usually did is have a separate thread for each book. Or, if the book was discussed in sections, have separate threads for each section, then merge those threads to the thread for the book as a whole when the time is right.Either way, ultimately, you end up with 1 thread for each book we've discussed.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, if there are polls on what books we want to be read, or any organizational stuff like that, just pin all those threads, and the forum will be all nice and tidy.

one more thing then i promise to go away. i thought we had pretty much decided to start with Just After Sunset since it was coming out in november and we would have a long time to read. again, am i wrong? or are we just having a slight change in plans? either way, doesn't bother me. going back to steal hunney from bees now. . . .

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    one more thing then i promise to go away. i thought we had pretty much decided to start with Just After Sunset since it was coming out in november and we would have a long time to read. again, am i wrong? or are we just having a slight change in plans? either way, doesn't bother me. going back to steal hunney from bees now. . . .
    This was discussed...I *do* very much want Jean to be able to participate though.

Would getting JAS be an issue for you Jean? If not, perhaps we can do JAS first, then TKAM second (then the Bear can play twice in a row!)
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Something i wanted to request: if you already read the book, and it's possible, read it again.that way you can remember some important...things, that you may have forgotten.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It's okay, turtlesong, and I think you are right about Just After Sunset; however, I thought we were waiting until January to give everyone time to get the book and make it through the holidays. If we're going to start November, then someone else will need to take the reins on the first book because I am swamped. I'm sorry!

Ooo, speaking of others taking the reins, I agree that turtlesong and razz are also good choices to help.

I have a huge work project I have to finish by 31 October (overtime even!), so I am bringing my laptop home and working a lot of evenings. You know what's not fun? Updating a website-based technical manual simultaneous to the printable PDF. When we move to data module-based S1000D, updating two versions of the same manual is as easy as updating the appropriate common data module. Plus, I've already had to tell them we cannot add more new information. (1) I don't have the time to verify this, and (2) I have all the bookmarks and hyperlinks mapped. AUGH!

Plus, October is Halloween, and I leave Friday morning for Screamfest in Orlando. *SQUEEE!* My first vacation in 8 years!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The gist of the discussion, as it pertained to JAS, was that we would be waiting until the book was released in November and the discussion would continue, due to the holidays and the mid-month release, until the new year at the least. I had volunteered to help to guide the discussion for that particular title since I am not working right now, have no children, and my wife's health is doing well, ie. I have the time that many do not have.

However, if we are going to be reading TKAM then obviously things will be different. It should be readily available to many who have access to a library.

Please do not take this as any attempt to usurp this group. I am just trying to let those who have asked what was discussed. I'm just happy we have a book club going here.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

well, all i know is i pm'd the bear to ensure that he wasn't getting JAS from someone else and never heard back. so yes, we should wait until next year for that. and definitely start with TKAM. that is such a wonderful novel.

so, ves. looks like you're it on the first run. lucky for you it lasts until january first.

Country
    Country Flag

Cool. TKAM it is! I will try to find a copy. I think my mother has one. (Haven't been on good terms with my county library since my mother was terminated for unspecified and unrevealed reasons. They used to charge me overdues constantly for books that I never checked out.)
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Country
    Country Flag

Dear friends, since it is going to be our first discussion, I find it important that I take part in it, as your supporting mod. Unfortunately, I definitely can't within next year (at least) get any more books, I spent on them a lot more than I could afford when last time in England. If everything goes well, then next book can be whatever you like, but the first time please let it be something I can keep track of.

Country
    Country Flag

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Dear friends, since it is going to be our first discussion, I find it important that I take part in it, as your supporting mod. Unfortunately, I definitely can't within next year (at least) get any more books, I spent on them a lot more than I could afford when last time in England. If everything goes well, then next book can be whatever you like, but the first time please let it be something I can keep track of.
    Of course! I can't imagine a first discussion without the bear. *tries* No, and I don't want to even if I could.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

in that case, Jean, you should select the first book!

ummmmm. razzle dazzle, keep up with the program. he did select the first book. he picked to kill a mockingbird.

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Shall I start a thread letting everyone know it is the first book then?

I think I shall.

well if it's to kill a mockingbird, are we starting now? Since it's a pretty damn old book, nobody should have a problem getting it.

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Where I am sure people will be able to get hands on it--I still think we should wait until Nov. Being that it is a book that is read in US High schools sometimes these books ARE hard to find (when I worked at Borders we always had runs on HS-reading list books). So this will give people a chance to either check it out from the library, track it down at the bookstore or even special order it if it is out of stock.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I think this was a good choice because it's also a book that most public libraries have more than one copy of.

Can't wait - really looking forward to it.

"That was the summer Dill came to us."
    "Hey Boo."
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

AGAINST MY JUDGEMENT, I too intend to read and coment on this book, when do we begin?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Why is it against your judgment?

In answer to your question--we will begin posting discussion topics on Nov. 1st. We do NOT expect people to be finished by then, this will be a 2 month long book to accomodate for the holidays in Nov. & December so that everyone has a chance to read & participate regardless of their familial obligations/travel plans.

november 1st i do believe.

ETA: now damnit, i know your post wasn't there when i posted this ves. so how in the hell did you do that? fuck it, i'll just hire razzle dazzle to do something nefarious.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast