Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Book Club?

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

To be honest my perception is so different than most folk, I rarely share my thoughts
    to a group. One on One I am ok, but this seems like a fairly straightforward book.
    Also I love you guys and probably wont feel too awkward discussing it with you.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Differing opinions is where most of the fun of a book club lies!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

indeed.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Sharing perceptions is what a book club is all about, right?

I mean, it's about what you found in a book and maybe opening someone elses eyes to the way you see things, and then helping the next person see something they might have missed.

We're all about the love, even if you hate the book.

There will be no attacking.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this group has managed to prove that we are very accomodating & accepting of differing view points (or at least hide it wel lwhen we aren't! ).

I don't believe there is a such thing as a straightforward book when you have an inteeligent and thoughtful group like this discussing it--so it will surely be fun!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

after we get a few more threads going and books read, this should probably be made into a sticky thread. it's where we should discuss which book to read, as well as any changes to how we operate.

and maybe rename this thread (at least get rid of the "?"

BTW, we were discussing it, and thought we should suggest books NOT to read for the book club

Moby Dick
    Great Gatsby
    Almost anything Koontz
    Tears of a Tiger (just saying. i hate it. we wouldn't read it anyway. it's a high school book)

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

oh my god razzle thank you. i forgot to post that last night. i swear to gan the person who suggests moby dick will be feed to the castle ghosts. and if that doesn't do it, i'll personally leave them for the library ghosts. and then bury what's left behind the castle.

fucking book about a fucking whale and the fucking whale isn't even in the fucking book until the final fucking third of the fucking book. i wasted an entire month in college on that fucking book and refuse to read it again. and will not allow my friends to be subjected to it. and as for the fucking person who decided that english majors have to fucking read moby dick:

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    oh my god razzle thank you. i forgot to post that last night. i swear to gan the person who suggests moby dick will be feed to the castle ghosts. and if that doesn't do it, i'll personally leave them for the library ghosts. and then bury what's left behind the castle.
    No, he wouldn't, because it would be me.

OK, kidding, I am not suggesting it - although I love it. The procedure of suggesting the next book will include voting anyway.

Hint: if someone wants to discuss any other book we are not going to discuss, there are other threads, too... [/hint]

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::narrows eyes at big bear::

shouldn't you be sleeping?

seriously, it's a book about a f'n whale with no whale in it for fuckingever!

::narrows eyes further at big bear::

reminder to self - send more books to big bear!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm probably one of the few English majors that never read Moby Dick. I faked it when it was assigned in college and NEVER regretted it!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

yay no moby dick!!

faked it! brilliant! why the fuck didn't i think of that? cause i was young and stupid and thought i should listen to my professors and i was at a jesuit college and thought it was good for me?

faked it! fucking brilliant!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You are a damn trip girl!!!
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

::bows modestly::

when we get around to choosing other books may i suggest life of pi by yann martel?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Didn't you just do just that? Why are you asking if you may then? If you're asking; no you may not suggest it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dexter'slittlesister View Post
    when we get around to choosing other books may i suggest life of pi by yann martel?
    yes, sure! I would love people to already start coming up with their suggestions, and then we'll vote!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Didn't you just do just that? Why are you asking if you may then? If you're asking; no you may not suggest it.

shutup brice. at least i can spell cthulhu correctly!

I would like to suggest, that in honor of the Author, we read a Michael Crichton book, after we finish JAS.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

But not Sphere. Let's read something like The Andromeda Strain or Jurassic Park.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

I liked sphere. And if we read Jurassic Park, we should also read The lost world. So i nominate Andromeda Strain for book club.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

A couple of things ruined Sphere for me.

Spoiler:
    The biggest problem I had was the scene where they find the weird shrimp "never before seen" and immediately decide to eat some for dinner. *blink*

And I wrote diving manuals.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

With A Fist Full Of Steel Arthur Heath is on a distinguished road Arthur Heath's Avatar

3rd Planet on the left in the Milky Way galaxy
    Country
    Country Flag

If we want to honor Chrichton I suggest Travels. This is more or less an autobiography of his days in medical school, his transition into writing and how he overcomes his personal fears by traveling world wide. Excellent, excellent book. Even if it is not chosen I suggest it to everyone who loves Chrichton.

"As for gunslingers, Roland," Cuthbert says, "I am here. And we are the last."

When two fit, it makes you think
    I got the cute one, my woman
    She says, "Lovin's all I bring"
    And it's her loving that's a wonderful thing.
    Lovin' yes we are, it's such a wonderful thing
    When two fit it makes you think
    See us both in the black
    She lays on me so relaxed.
    -Big D and The Kids Table

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast