Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

If one of you choose "To Kill a Mockingbird", I'll still go along.
    Just to put it out there, i didn't like it.
    If one of y'all chooses "The Great Gatsby", i won't be joining you that month.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I would love some science fiction, as well.

Robert Silverberg - Lord Valentine's Castle comes to mind.

I'm up for any classics. Mockingbird just came to mind. Oh, and for the record, I did love it.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

ooooooooooooooh. zombie books. that world war z is supposed to be excellent. and i'm reading the living dead right now and it totally rocks. and it names all kinds of zombie short stories.

and science fiction books totally rocks. has anybody ever read the short stories by spider robinson? god is an iron is my favorite.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd say you need someone with mod powers to run this. I ran something like this a while back, but wasn't a mod where I ran it. I didn't think that would be an issue until I wanted to update things, delete old posts and replace them with new ones, change thread titles, and all that fun stuff. I had to ask a mod to do it every time, and, while they were great in accommodating me, there were always inevitable delays and frustrations.

Also, I'd think you'd need a separate forum or subforum for something like this, so there can be a separate thread for each book discussed, (with the added bonus that anyone could read an older selection and jump in that discussion thread anytime they wanted in the future), and separate threads for different book polls, and whatever else is needed. Trying to keep it all in one thread will be very frustrating and confusing, and may cause people to give up on it, when they'd otherwise enjoy a book club immensely.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

that's why we got Jean!

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome. I just saw the post where he said he didn't have time and kinda skimmed to the end.

Hopefully the forum thing could be worked out as well.

yup. so, Spencer. (i don't think we've met before, so Howdy), are you in?

Country
    Country Flag

Sure, I can handle that. Never met me? Awesome. Make sure not to ask anyone about me.

Did the forum thing get worked out? Damn I must have missed all the key posts in this thread.

most everything is worked out. now we just wait until the end of november to begin. i think

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, the question of the day is: What has been decided?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    most everything is worked out. now we just wait until the end of november to begin. i think
    well, you've got more of a clue than I have.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wait a bit, I have a vague idea for subsection, we'll see if works out

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Easy on the Nora bashing, she is Dora's favorite and Dora is as smart a woman as I have ever run across.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I am going to move this thread to the subforum renamed for the idea. I'll leave a redirect.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Book club has it's own sub-forum? AWESOME!

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm really gald for the sub forum! Yaaaayy.

And as for the "nut" comments--I will say that my last name does include the word "nut" so yeah. Go figure.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    wait a bit, I have a vague idea for subsection, we'll see if works out
    Looks good to me.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ves'Ka Gan View Post
    -I will say that my last name does include the word "nut".
    Mine too.

"Spencer Iznuts"?

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
    Awesome. I just saw the post where he said he didn't have time and kinda skimmed to the end.

Hopefully the forum thing could be worked out as well.
    For shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Easy on the Nora bashing, she is Dora's favorite and Dora is as smart a woman as I have ever run across.

No offense intended. I like plenty of non- or even unintellectual things, such as really bad cheesy horror and scifi.

Hoorah for the subforum!
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

you know matticus, some of the power of that statement is taken away when i know you were all moony when you were typing it. and then the big ole luuuuuuuuuuuv is there for us all to see. try it again without drolling over dora's pic.

and as for the subforum. and a for good measure.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

ok

now: I give us one week (till next Wednesday morning, Moscow time) to elect the leader of this group. If it doesn't happen, we prove our impotence, and the whole thing is off. As I said, I will give you all moderator's support, but I can't lead the discussion on books I haven't read, and the probability that we will always discuss books that are within the bear's reach is rather low.

It could be any of the founding fathers/mothers of the club (those already posted in this thread - razz including, by the way, he is young but definitely able), but maybe you whould consider some other candidates; I would suggest alinda but I know that moderators here are really very busy, and you need someone dedicated.

Now, the final word in choosing the first book for discussion is going to belong to me, because it must be something everyone, including the bear, has read; and it will be

To Kill a Mockingbird

It is especially interesting since many people don't like it, and some (Steve, for example) hate it; while others (me) think it's one of the greatest books ever written; then, of course, it is important that everyone can read or reread it withouth falling all over themselves - I hope every library has a few copies.

The sooner we have the leader, the sooner the fun starts!

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jeez. I've read TKAM at least seven times now. I think it's one of the best books out there! I'll join in conversations, maybe re-read, but I do have the strong call of an Umberto Eco book to deal with...
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Country
    Country Flag

if the project develops as I expect, I hope we'll be discussing foreign books too. I even hope to be able to find a good translation of a modern Russian book, and then we can read it with me commenting on what couldn't otherwise be understood. But that's for the future.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Woowhoo... Boo and Gem and Scout and Dill - here comes TDT !!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast