Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Club?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Default Book Club?

I was thinking, maybe we could start a monthly book club here. The only problem i can think of is that some people may not be able to get their hands on a copy of whatever book we read, since we're not distributing copies. that's why it's a monthly club, it gives you time to find it in a library or something.
    I don't think this will require spoilers, since this thread would only be needed to discuss which book to read. we'd then get together after a month in the Chat room to discuss the book. Is there anybody that would be interested?

Ink Heart Jackie is on a distinguished road Jackie's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the idea =]

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

i like it too.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

well before we start anything, I'd like to get a few more "aye"s and approval from one of the PtB

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok coolness I'll keep checking in on this thread

The words written upon this paper, are none compared to the words written upon my heart

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't say that I'd always participate but its a good idea.

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm in like Flint

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

i'm in too!!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

a few questions?

are we only talking sk books?
    who picks the books?
    does the bookclub start on the first of the month and the discussion start on like the 15? or would we schedule several different discussion days?

am i asking these questions too soon - is this just a "who's interested" question?

well the way i think is, someone suggests a book, we spend the first week of each month choosing the book, then we have three weeks to read the book, and discuss on a set time & set date. Since this is such a large site, it may take a while to get organized, but it's definitely more than SK novels, though if there is one not many have read, we should start with it. So yes this is a who's interested thread, but this should also be the official thread. you're asking just the right questions i think. then there's also the Global time zone problem.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yea, and are there going to be certain set parts of the book we have to read up to [like chaper 4, page 50, etc. ] so we will all be on the same page?

i suppose so. it's why i want one of the powers that be in on it, to help work out the bugs, and to plan.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    well the way i think is, someone suggests a book, we spend the first week of each month choosing the book, then we have three weeks to read the book, and discuss on a set time & set date. Since this is such a large site, it may take a while to get organized, but it's definitely more than SK novels, though if there is one not many have read, we should start with it. So yes this is a who's interested thread, but this should also be the official thread. you're asking just the right questions i think. then there's also the Global time zone problem.
    That's true nut we can try to find a time that would be good no matter what, like try to find a time where all the 'times' are okay. I know tha probably sounds confusing And we should try to do it on weekends like a Friday or Saturday that we won't have to worry about work/school and if people do have work we'll just have to try and work around that and figure something out. Yes this will take a lot of time to organize, maybe we can shot to start in November though?

exactly. But I can't say I know exactly how this should go. I don't want to be headign this project. Maybe Jean? I haven't been in a book club before, and except for this site, I'm REALLY not a social person. But i thought it would be interesting to try, instead of making a thread for a book nobody else has heard of

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yea, if you want maybe we could ask someone who is superactive and has been in a book club before/knows how they run[I've never been in one either], such as Jean, maybe you should PM him.

well i don't want to speak for jean but you do know he's in the middle of a MAJOR project right now don't you? and i don't think it's just here either. read the home improvement thread. maybe we should figure out who is interested then find out who wants to run it because it sounds like a great idea.

true, we should probably wait before we pick a big boss, and a moderator, and etc...

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    Can't say that I'd always participate but its a good idea.
    Yes. It depends on a lot of factors for me, but yes!

Quote Originally Posted by BeDaN View Post
    I'm in like Flint
    Oh really? In Like Flint, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    well i don't want to speak for jean but you do know he's in the middle of a MAJOR project right now don't you? and i don't think it's just here either. read the home improvement thread. maybe we should figure out who is interested then find out who wants to run it because it sounds like a great idea.
    turtlesong speaks true.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    true, we should probably wait before we pick a big boss, and a moderator, and etc...
    Good call.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this is a great idea. I'd do my best to participate.
    ♪♪No secret, no matter how nasty can poison your voice or keep you from joy ♪♪ -- Perfume Genius

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's a great idea. I have a few suggestions to make.

The first is in regards to the time question, what about Global time. My suggestion is to start the "book month" at a specific time in a specific time zone (like 8am Matt's time for example).

Regarding book selection, in cases like The Gunslinger where there are several editions all editions should be included under one title, unless the changes are so far sweeping they change the basic plot (like Blind Willie).

As for start time, why not just go with the calendar month, Jan. 1 to Jan. 31 for example. If that won't work, we can work out some way to do it.

As for what books, I think it should, for now, be just King's books. When we run out of them, then we can go to other authors.

That's it for now from me, but I do think it's a terrific idea.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yea, that's what i was thinking fir the month something like Nov.1st - Nov. 30th

i think november might be too soon to get it started - figuring out the logistics and all. unless you're volunteering to run it jackie?

and in december there are all the holidays. so that leaves january to begin it.

again, ::hint, hint:: unless you're volunteering jackie.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Haha, I would offer to run it but im really sure how to run it. And yea i thought November might be a little soon too but i was just thinking of all the holidays in December in which case we wouldn't be able to start until January. But I thought if we go around the site enough looking for people who would like to join in the book club and find someone to run it in a week or so we would be set, we have almost a month to prepare, if we indeed did start in November.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think January is a good time to start, if we can get it going that is. I even have a suggestion for the first book. Since it is the latest release, I would suggest Just After Sunset. Just a suggestion though, I still plan to read it ASAP.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast