Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Do ye Ken, my cully? Yar!

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use aye sometimes and get funny looks from people.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I often say "Cry your pardon" people just look at me like I am crazy! I oftentimes call girls younger than me "Miss Oh So Young And Pretty" when I am upset with them. I call people that I think are intelligent "trig" I tell people that I am speaking DT (Dark Tower) language
    Most times people just look at me and say WTF?

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

All the time for me.

Trig, cove, Sai, Thank-ee...lots of 'em.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Traveler jinximoose is on a distinguished road jinximoose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I often say "Cry your pardon" people just look at me like I am crazy! I oftentimes call girls younger than me "Miss Oh So Young And Pretty" when I am upset with them. I call people that I think are intelligent "trig" I tell people that I am speaking DT (Dark Tower) language
    Most times people just look at me and say WTF?

LOL I definately get the 'WTF' look a lot! But it's their loss, so it is!
    "My weapon is David." ~ Roland Deschain

Jareth's Goblin Queen soylentjillian is on a distinguished road soylentjillian's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I used the term "ken" in a paper for one of my english classes back in high school. I got a high A, she didn't say anything about it. She was an old lady though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Then, I call you Goblin Queen.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

aye, i do

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

"Aye" has not left my vocab for some time.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Mind you, i used aye and yar long before i got into the series.
    "Sai", I use often, and often even use "thankee-sai"

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

There is an existing thread on this topic somewhere...I will search and merge

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

hehe...did you find it!?!?!

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Is "aye" anusual? It's a bit harder for me because I am not a native speaker so it's not easy to tell which expression is out of fashion and which is used.

Is "cry your pardon" special, too?

Roland would have understood.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Is "aye" anusual? It's a bit harder for me because I am not a native speaker so it's not easy to tell which expression is out of fashion and which is used.

Is "cry your pardon" special, too?
    "aye" isn't unusual....but it depends on where you are from and it's meaning. I mean "aye" or "eh" when spoken, not the spelling. Like razz used some of these terms before reading the series, a lot of the phrases are not neccassarily made up just for The Dark Tower. "Aye", has been used in the past meaning "yes" or "I agree". And I believe it was or is used in Scotland and Ireland (or all of the UK) mainly(?) starting somewhere in the 13th century. Since I'm from Michigan (U.S.), I'm farely close to Canada, and depending the region of Canada and Michigan's U.P., "eh", is usually followed at the end of statement. Eh can mean couple different things, it's either "eh?" ending a question or as a narrative. “So I go to this shrink, eh, and he goes like I don’t have no confidence, eh? I go, ‘No way, man.’ He goes I should take assertiveness training. Weird, eh? Like I’m always supposed to be seeking approval, eh, from, you know, other people? I felt like he could kiss my Royal Canadian, eh? But, sayin’ it woulda been too pushy. Dyuh think?”

I think "cry your pardon" is only Dark Tower...not wholey sure...but I can guess it means basically "sorry" but can have different tones depending the situation. I view it simply being "pardon me", like when you do something offense to some one else. Like when you burp outloud, or try to squeeze thru a crowd of people.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't help but I use and I used "cry your pardon" quite a lot on my lessons.
    Thank you for the information.
    I thought aye was absolutely normal to use.

My Mood
    Amused

I'm sure aye is normal to use, but I think for understanding it, depends on where in the world you use it.

Along the Path of the Beam Slash281 is on a distinguished road Slash281's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually say "Yar" a lot. Yar is pretty self explanatory and some of my friends are actually saying it too.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Slash281 View Post
    I actually say "Yar" a lot. Yar is pretty self explanatory and some of my friends are actually saying it too.
    Yar always makes me think of gay pirates for some reason. I don't know why, but that's the connotation. Not that gay pirates aren't cool.

Along the Path of the Beam Slash281 is on a distinguished road Slash281's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would've never thought of gay pirates in relation to that. In fact I don't think I've ever imagined a gay pirate. Though I would imagine they would be slightly less cool than regular pirates, and slightly more cool than air pirates.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd not noticed how often I use 'if it please ya'" until I was reminded.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Along the Path of the Beam Nanidesuka is on a distinguished road Nanidesuka's Avatar

Yes...i frequently find myself using "thankee" often with a "sai" thrown in at the end. I've started to use "kennit" more, too, as i've started to re-read the series. ^^;

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recently caused a bit of bewilderment in FB, when I stated that I was 'reading Sai King's books'. Sai what? And I swear, I didn't do it in purpose, it just felt natural. =P 'Thankee' is also used a lot. But 'thank Gan' and suchlike I keep here, otherwise someone's going to call the white-coat men to fetch me.

Can you imagine my delight when I was once chatting with this sai, who introduced me to the DT books, and he tapped his throat thrice. Ah, we're truly DT junkies, we are.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Country
    Country Flag

One should not allow me to chat with hearing people at parties. Evidence was collected and handed out to me by bride's sweet 12-years old little brother. Apparently I had used such phrases like '.., say sorry.' and '.., say true.' and something about 'pardon', I didn't dare to look more carefully. I'm now burrowing in my shame.
    (my English was praised, incredibly enough)

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    One should not allow me to chat with hearing people at parties. Evidence was collected and handed out to me by bride's sweet 12-years old little brother. Apparently I had used such phrases like '.., say sorry.' and '.., say true.' and something about 'pardon', I didn't dare to look more carefully. I'm now burrowing in my shame.
    (my English was praised, incredibly enough)
    Your English is fine as it is. I love it. And I hope you know I would die happily if I could have a party with you. And if you started to use such phareses... I would die right there because of happiness.

Country
    Country Flag

We will have a party in 2010, oh yes? Yes? And then I will drown you with all the Mid-World phrases, you beautiful one. I love thee - AND your sig pic, it's somehow so moving. *sigh*

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I use DT phrases all the time. I love when someone I least expect sudden responds in time. The Tower makes itself known.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    We will have a party in 2010, oh yes? Yes? And then I will drown you with all the Mid-World phrases, you beautiful one. I love thee - AND your sig pic, it's somehow so moving. *sigh*
    I'm gonna be there. Dead or alive I'm gonna, lady-sai.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast