Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do ye Ken, my cully? Yar!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Angel... "'ken - kennit" means "understand it?"

and "
    'I set my watch and warrant on it.' means "a sure thing" or "you can bet on it."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. I knew that "I set my watch and warrant on it" meant something like that but why? What does it mean word by word?
    Maybe my question doesn't make any sense to you because it's absolutely natural but I realised I felt the meaning of it from the text because they used it quite often still it's not clear why it means that.
    Is it a phrase?

Roland would have understood.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Thanks. I knew that "I set my watch and warrant on it" meant something like that but why? What does it mean word by word?
    Maybe my question doesn't make any sense to you because it's absolutely natural but I realised I felt the meaning of it from the text because they used it quite often still it's not clear why it means that.
    Is it a phrase?
    i would guess that he means he would wager his watch and his warrant [valuable things] that he is correct. if he were to lose those things, it would be bad, so he'd not set them on something unless he ws pretty positive about the potential outcome. do ya kennit now?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And what does he mean by his "watch"? It can mean more things. *feels absolutely stupid*

not sure what he means specifically by watch as it could mean something entirely different to roland, but i always took the overall context of "i set my watch and warrant on it" as "i guarantee it" or "take it to the bank"

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti;123923'[B
    I set my watch and warrant on it.[/B]' I think I know what it means but... could you tell me how you could say the some with other words?

Thank you.
    One way we would say that here is "I bet my ass on it"
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti;123923'[B
    I set my watch and warrant on it.[/B]' I think I know what it means but... could you tell me how you could say the some with other words?

Thank you.
    One way we would say that here is "I bet my ass on it"
    I agree.
    Is that saying actually made up by King? Seems like I've heard it in a western movie before. If so, I would say "watch" means time-piece because it's probably the more valuable item in terms of currency that a cowboy would have, besides his guns. So as to say, it is what he's betting that he is correct in the matter. Warrant would seem to be his honor. So he's putting something worth money and his own honor up as the bet.

course I'm just guessing.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, guys. Thanks a lot.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Letti, there is a bit of over thinking here.
    The statement means "I guarantee it". Guarantee means the person is absolutely sure it is correct.
    That is all.
    Watch (whether an individual owns/possesses one or not) infers accuracy, warrant is a bond (personal assurance-sometimes with money involved).

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I've picked up "mayhap" as in, "mayhap I'll see you there." People kind of like it though.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've already been made fun of by 2 different people for using 'mayhap'

i use mayhap a lot as well. it's one of the handful of Tower-isms I can use without too many odd looks from people. certainly easier to get away with mayhap than thankee or may it do ya fine.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Mayhap is one word I use very frequently myself.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    i use mayhap a lot as well. it's one of the handful of Tower-isms I can use without too many odd looks from people. certainly easier to get away with mayhap than thankee or may it do ya fine.
    or you can set your watch and warrant on it. Do you kennit, my cully?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, 'hile' is apparently my new greeting for when I'm chatting online.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

There is a bit of over thinking going on here.
    "I set my watch and warrant on it" simply means I GUARANTEE it.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Mayhap is one word I use very frequently myself.
    Great minds think alike.

Jayson is included in this as well. I don't know how to multi quote.

Oh yeah, Feev too I guess...

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

I want to try calling headache medicine "astin" and see what kind of reaction i get from it.

Traveler Sheemie Ruiz is on a distinguished road Sheemie Ruiz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

lol you should totally try it. i often find myself slipping into Tower-isms. which is kinda bad if you work at Disney World...they think you're ripping off pirates or something...lol. someone might ask me where something like the dumbo ride is from adventureland and i'll try to figure out how many "wheels" it is from there, or i'll do the occasional "Yar, here's you're ice-cream cone, my cully" and instead of "have a magical day today", i'll leave them with a mystical "there are other worlds than these"...and they usually say "what" and i'll say "parks, there are other parks than these...one in california, in hong kong, etc..." lol
    And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm lucky that I actually try to think of what I say before I let it slip out of my mouth, but I am constantly having to keep from saying things like 'do ya kennit?' or 'do you say so?' for some reasons that's really hard lol. I said 'thankee' before reading DT, but I have to refrain from adding 'sai' to everything when speaking to someone. I know there's other things but I can't think of them all when I'm not thinking about using them lol. I have noticed that I only think of Stephen King as 'Sai King' now, though. I don't think there's any help for that one.

And on the 'set my watch and warrant on it' the meaning wasn't the problem for Lettie, it was the reason for the meaning. I agree with what someone else about 'watch' referring to the timepiece, but I think it's because a watch is very important because it tells time. Time is important because... well it's slipping lol, so if you're so sure about something that you can set your watch on it then you must be pretty damn sure. Hope that helps a lil.

Gunslinger Apprentice LemurJones is on a distinguished road

I say yar and thankee-sai and do ya kennit a lot, but because I talk funny and jumble my words up when I talk half the time it comes out "yahhh" and "thanksai" and "da-kent" instead. When I have to make the effort to speak like a person with a tongue and teeth and my mouth still attached to my face, it ends up that I don't naturally put those stuff in conversations.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LemurJones View Post
    I say yar and thankee-sai and do ya kennit a lot, but because I talk funny and jumble my words up when I talk half the time it comes out "yahhh" and "thanksai" and "da-kent" instead. When I have to make the effort to speak like a person with a tongue and teeth and my mouth still attached to my face, it ends up that I don't naturally put those stuff in conversations.
    i love that... i'm in tears lol

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, our lemur is a brilliant creature!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice LemurJones is on a distinguished road

aw shucks.... ....*BEARTACKLELEMURKISS*

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I sometimes say "a-yuh" or "thank ye sai, big big"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast