Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Short Stories

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

oh sweetie, i wouldn't charge you $40 in shipping. a max of $39.95 honest!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Strawberry Spring.. (since it was the first SK story I fell in love with)
    The Boogeyman

Plus more I can't think of for now

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    oh sweetie, i wouldn't charge you $40 in shipping. a max of $39.95 honest!
    Oh, well THAT'S perfectly reasonable!

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

I've been looking for different seasons everywhere, i can't find it. It's been a good 8 years or so since I have read it.

I always like the langoliers, i dont know why it got hated on so much.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

besides, I love the library. as long as i stay away from the computer room, it has the largest are in the city void of stupid.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AIMB View Post
    I've been looking for different seasons everywhere, i can't find it. It's been a good 8 years or so since I have read it.

I always like the langoliers, i dont know why it got hated on so much.
    Have you tried eBay? You can usually find used books on there.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

yeah when I get a hold of a debit/credit card again I'll do ebay

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Short Stories

What are your favorite short stories?

My favorite ( im still reading all of them) but so far is Cain Rose Up in Skeleton Crew. Its creepy how a kid at college can seem normal too others and then just start sniping ppl.

How about you?

Note: Can you please put the story title and the book which it is from.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved the two Salem's lot based short stories, Jerusalem's Lot and One for the Road.

I don't find a lot of King's stories all that scary (although I like his work) but those two gave me a chill.

They can both be found in the large edition of Salem's Lot and one of his other collections (I forget the name.)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Both those stories were collected in King's first collection, Night Shift.

John

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've always had a thing about Quitters, Inc. from Night Shift. Can't put my finger on it, but I just really like that one. There are more, too, but I'll have to go check since it's been a while since I ready many of the shorts.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite short story is The Black Cat by Edgar Allan Poe.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    oops, it's a King forum - we're talking about King stories here. Though I love The Black Cat, too, and all other Poe stories!

so, what is your favorite short story by King?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

I find many of King's shorter tales scary or creepy, especially his older ones (from Night Shift, for example).

But since he's such a master when it comes to short fiction, it's hard for me to name just one or two favorites.
    One is definitely Home Delivery (in N&D). I love zombie tales and King added a bunch of humor into it as well.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Boogeyman from Night Shift gave me the creeps.

To this day I make sure no closet doors are left open at night. LOL...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCollector View Post
    I find many of King's shorter tales scary or creepy, especially his older ones (from Night Shift, for example).
    I agree. I largely find his short stories scarier than his novels. (Although I usually prefer the novel stories, as it's not necessarily about the fear for me.) I'll make exceptions for Salem's Lot (
    Spoiler:
    the Danny Glick at the window scene is still chilling for me.
    , and Pet Sematary
    Spoiler:
    What is it about ghoulish children? Come to think of it, that was one of the things that got me in One for the Road.

Other Short stories I like, would be the stories of Hearts in Atlantis. They certainly qualify as short stories, but I liked the way they interrelate as a whole too (hence kind of forming a novel too.) I liked them all in different ways, but if I had to pick favorites, it would be Low men in Yellow Coats, Blind Willy (a strange tale that one, but I loved it.) the one with the falling er stuff (even stranger), and the end story concerning Bobby. (Actually I think I listed most of them there.) The Carol connection to Hearts in Atlantis (short story) was interesting though.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for resurrecting a great thought. I am going to merge this with a preexisting thread.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    oops, it's a King forum - we're talking about King stories here. Though I love The Black Cat, too, and all other Poe stories!

so, what is your favorite short story by King?
    So sorry. My favorite short story by King is The Body. It is a novella, but I think it counts.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So sorry. My favorite short story by King is The Body. It is a novella, but I think it counts.
    Mine too. It's one of my favorite stories he's written.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my favorites is Weeds. Not the rewritten one in Creepshow, but the original, uncollected version that ran in a couple of the men's magazines. It's a much darker story than Creepshow.

John

Traveler TheMightyMonarch is on a distinguished road

I just finished "Lunch at the Gotham Cafe'" and I'm pretty stunned. The guy doesn't go crazy in the end, right? I think he's just pondering and realizes that he could have gone crazy, and that almost anybody can with enough stuff happening ("Yeah, we all do.") The very very end still freaked me out though. I don't see him going crazy, I just see him kind of having dulled emotions from then on after realizing that. But it was a good story. I also liked Eluria, though they never really said what the Sisters were. Now I got the big one, Everything's Eventual, to read next. And then maybe that Deja Vu one.

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite short story has to be the body why?
    It took me back to my younger days with your mates at the rubbish tip
    (looking for pram wheels and planks of wood to build a trolley),swimming
    in the quarry lake(which we called blue lagoon)and yes playing on train
    lines and daring each other to go into the 1/4 mile tunnel.
    Quite a few of his books take me back,and thats just one reason i think
    there is no other author that can affect you in the way he writes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2