Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short Stories

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Short Stories

I hadn't read any of SK's short stories for ages - Different Seasons being the last. But I just got Everything's Eventual, as I'd never read Little Sisters and I realised how much I'd enjoyed his short stories aswell as his novels.

I think his more traditional ghost type stories often work better as a short story - they tend to make you jump more as you know that the suspense is only going to build up for a few pages until you get the scare, so turning the page becomes quite nerve wracking!

Anyhow - just wondered which short stories you all like, or which collections in particular. What,even, would be your ultimate short story collection?

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I don't have an ultimate..but I do prefer his short stories. Mainly because I get into them a lot easier than his full stories. The Body is one of my favorites along with The Ledge and a few others.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't like King's short short stories (with a few exceptions), but I love his long short stories - there's a Russian term for a piece of fiction that is much longer than a regular short story, but shorter and not as epic as a novel, but I don't know the English for it (maybe novella?) - like The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet, or Crouch End, or Children of the Corn.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice kithereal is on a distinguished road kithereal's Avatar

Default the mist

The mist is my favorite short story.....I believe it is the very first Stephen King I read.....it was very scary. Looking forward to the movie.
    KIT

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, we use the term novella - infact the very first novella I ever read was Carmilla - Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, that was irrelevant but it popped into my head

I'd forgotten about The Mist - thats the one about them being trapped in the supermarket right? Yeah, that was good!!

The Body is classic - Stand By Me is also my favourite King movie adaptation.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thank you Darkthought!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Novella:
    A prose fiction longer than a short story but shorter than a novel. There is no standard definition of length, but since rules of thumb are sometimes handy, we might say that the short story ends at about 20,000 words, while the novel begins at about 50,000. Thus, the novella is a fictional work of about 20,000 to 50,000 words.

Country
    Country Flag

and thank you Randall!

(it's interesting that in Russian, the word novella exists, too, and is slightly different.)

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Survivor Type
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

besides novella, there is novelette. Around 50 pages is the length, where a novella is around 70-100 pages.

some of King's short stories I've loved (and I'm probably forgetting many):

The Mist
    My Pretty Pony (surprisingly)
    The Man in the Black Suit
    The Little Sisters of Eluria
    Quitters, Inc.
    The Raft

I guess the last one I've read that I though was very good was:
    Umney's Last Case

Collections I would probably name Night Shift as #1, Skeleton Crew as #2 and Everything’s Eventual as #3.

Gunslinger Apprentice The_Nameless is on a distinguished road The_Nameless's Avatar

The short stories were actually the very writings that cemented my love of King. I read The Shining, then went directly to his short stories.

Favourite Short Story Collection: Skeleton Crew

Favourite Short Stories: Survivor Type, 1408, Beachworld, The Mist, The Jaunt, The Raft, The Man That Would Not Shake Hands (Oddly enough), Children of the Corn, Jursalem's Lot, The Crate, Everything's Eventual, The Fifth Quarter, Grat Matter, Lunch at the Gotham Cafe, Night Surf, Quitters, Inc., Riding the Bullet, The Road Virus Heads North, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Sorry, Right Number (one of the stories that have stuck with me, for reason or another, over the years), Strawberry Spring, Suffer the Little Children, The Ten O' Clock People, That Feeling, You Can Only Say What it is in French, The Moving Finger (hilarious),

Wow, I did not realize how large the list is.
    "Help me out here
    All my words are falling short
    And there's so much I want to say"

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The amount of short stories SK has released over the years is staggering. Most of them are enjoyable and most of them brilliant. When looking at the list of what is popular with others I couldn't believe nobody had The Langoliers and The Library Policeman from Four Past Midnight. Really loved these two stories and also enjoyed the TV movie of The Langoliers that featured Dean Stockwell in it. One of the stories in FPM was also one of my least favorite short stories as I could see where the story was heading and how it was going to end.
    Have to buy both Nightshift and Skeleton Crew as I took them on hols one year and left them behind me in the place I was staying.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The_Nameless View Post
    The short stories were actually the very writings that cemented my love of King.

Favourite Short Story Collection: Skeleton Crew[/b]
    Same here. Skeleton Crew was the first King book I ever read, and to this day, I prefer his short story collections over his novels. I have every collection of King short stories out there, and I guess SC is my favorite because it was my first.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The_Nameless View Post
    The short stories were actually the very writings that cemented my love of King. I read The Shining, then went directly to his short stories.

Favourite Short Story Collection: Skeleton Crew

Favourite Short Stories: Survivor Type, 1408, Beachworld, The Mist, The Jaunt, The Raft, The Man That Would Not Shake Hands (Oddly enough), Children of the Corn, Jersalem's Lot, The Crate, Everything's Eventual, The Fifth Quarter, Grat Matter, Lunch at the Gotham Cafe, Night Surf, Quitters, Inc., Riding the Bullet, The Road Virus Heads North, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, Sorry, Right Number (one of the stories that have stuck with me, for reason or another, over the years), Strawberry Spring, Suffer the Little Children, The Ten O' Clock People, That Feeling, You Can Only Say What it is in French, The Moving Finger (hilarious),

Wow, I did not realize how large the list is.
    This sums it up with a few corrections.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Default favorite non-DT related short story?

by non-DT i mean Low men in yellow coats, little sisters of eluria etc.
    short stories like the mist, which have a small reference or name resemblance are perfectly fine, though

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Without a doubt, my two favorites are:

The Body

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

I love me some Different Seasons.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Body is at the top of my list too.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Razz, I just realized the thread is about short stories, but I posted two novellas because you mentioned some. Do you mean to include Novellas, or is it supposed to be short stories?

Favorite Short Story:

Children of the Corn*

*I have actually yet to read Nightmares and Dreamscapes, I know there's some good stuff in there, like the story about the town full of dead rock stars. I'm hoping to find a used copy soon.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite short story is "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French". What a fantastic story it is.

I also really liked "The Jaunt". That story scared the hell out of me.

*edit* I just realized we already had a SK favorite short story thread, so I merged this with it.
    Last edited by Erin; 05-25-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: merge
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Razz, I just realized the thread is about short stories, but I posted two novellas because you mentioned some. Do you mean to include Novellas, or is it supposed to be short stories?

Favorite Short Story:

Children of the Corn*

*I have actually yet to read Nightmares and Dreamscapes, I know there's some good stuff in there, like the story about the town full of dead rock stars. I'm hoping to find a used copy soon.

^^^^You Know They've Got A Hell Of A Band
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

the mist is a novella, and that's one of my favorite. so novellas are fine

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

in no particular order:
    All That You Love Will Be Carried Away ("my mother made me a whore. . .if i send her some yarn, will she make me one too?")
    Strawberry Spring
    The Jaunt
    That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is In French
    The Raft

i don't think he's written a short story that i haven't liked but some (like those above) stay with me longer than others.
    Last edited by The Lady of Shadows; 09-30-2008 at 08:30 PM.

the raft is good. i wanted to read the jaunt, but i forgot to read it before i returned the library book.

i'm watching the raft on youtube right now.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

ummm? library book? you mean there's a sk book out there that one of us doesn't own?
    if i dig my copy of "skeleton crew" out of it's box would you like to borrow it?

or i could buy it new and save 40 dollars on shipping.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast