Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Audio Books

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've listened to both the King original and Guidall revised editions of The Gunslinger.

I agree with All Hail, Guidall and Muller each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I like them both.

If you're serious about downloading audiobooks (legally), a monthly subscription to audible.com is much cheaper than buying the downloads as one-off transactions, and far less expensive than buying CDs.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmmm...this may be exactly what I need. Thanks Patrick.

Of course, it means I'll need an IPod right? or do you perhaps simply burn them to disc? That would be great!!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I download them to my iPod, but, yes, you can burn them to CD as well.

I have the subscription where I pay about $21 for any two books in their catalog (per month). They're mine to keep (as opposed to those services that self-destruct after some period of time). So, yeah, ten bucks an audiobook is really cheap in my opinion.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Seriously!!

That is great, may be a really cool way for me to get the stuff I can't find in libraries around here.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

do they offer any other deal than two per month?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to check it out. I figure I could do the two per month and squirrel them away (since you own it) even if I don't get a chance to listen to both in that month.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

its weird, im 2/3 of the way through W&G (ive listened to the first 3 on audiobook so far) and have just lost interest. This has happened when ive reread the series before, dunno why. Maybe its just a hump i need to get over
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

See when I was listening the the revised Gunslinger, I lost interest. I'd almost rather read it than hear that guys voice.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Today, 05:37 PM by Mordred Deschain
    See when I was listening the the revised Gunslinger, I lost interest. I'd almost rather read it than hear that guys voice.

Really? I love George Guidall's voice. Especially his Roland, which under King himself, is the best Roland I've heard.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Well, I really can't debate the issue, I've never listened to the Stephen King edition. There's just something about Guidall's voice I don't like, but that's just me. Like I said before, I think if I heard Clint Eastwood reading it, I might like it.

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I had the chance to pick up SoS over the weekend for $8 and it is read by George. I kind of like the way he tells it, I have never listened to any of the audio books except for the one's that King did (the one's I am currently digitizing). I haven't found a single thing to dislike yet, but I do love audio books because I always compare how I would do the voices while reading compared to how they do them. Most of the times their's is better than mine.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    I had the chance to pick up SoS over the weekend for $8 and it is read by George. I kind of like the way he tells it, I have never listened to any of the audio books except for the one's that King did (the one's I am currently digitizing). I haven't found a single thing to dislike yet, but I do love audio books because I always compare how I would do the voices while reading compared to how they do them. Most of the times their's is better than mine.
    Guidall does a great job except for sometimes his characters sound too much alike, with the exception of Roland.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I haven't really gotten that feeling yet. Maybe the more I get into it I might, but as of now I don't hear it. I probably should check out some of his other readings to really make an honest opinion (as in non DT readings) as this is the first time listening to him.

My Mood
    Amused

Heh...I only made it to "beans beans the magical.." and then I shut it off.
    Honestly, Stephen King had Clint Eastwood in mind when he created Roland, why not have the MAN read it?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Clint can't read!! I thought everyone knew that.

I am kidding but I did hear somewhere that the reason he doesn't ever voice adds or anything like that is because he isn't a good reader

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Clint can't read!! I thought everyone knew that.

I am kidding but I did hear somewhere that the reason he doesn't ever voice adds or anything like that is because he isn't a good reader
    never thought of that!!! I guess when I try to think of how many lines he had in his movies, wasn't very much. It was more of the bad ass look!

Anyway, I just couldn't get into Guidall. Maybe if I skip into the next chapter I might change my mind. Of course, it's hard to mow lawns and listen to someone reading a book.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

ok, I'm now officially hooked on audio books; just finished Carrie and Sissy Spacek was awesome!

I also saw the the Gingerbread Girl will make a audio release. More the merrier I say.

btw, I saw The Talisman is abridged, but is still at 24 CD's. So I can't see that a lot is cut out. Can anyone give a recommendation on this one, is it worth buying?

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No abridged is worth buying, imo.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. I'm picky that way. Shorten it? NO WAY.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, abridged versions are for lazy people.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. I read the paperback of The Stand when it came out, and when the longer version hit paperback, I HAD to read it.

I can't help myself.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

I did the same.
    Anyway, I was going through my iPod today on my drive to work and couldn't really find anything that I wanted to listen to so I put on The Gunslinger again. I guess I'll just listen to the whole series again. For some reason, I think Guidall does alright reading DT1...after hearing the whole series once before. I didn't like him that much the first time I listened to him.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you know where you can find the original Gunslinger on audio? Because I can't find it.

Yeah, I'm anal-retentive that way, I try to get EVERY. FREAKING. VERSION.

Country
    Country Flag

I WISH I knew. CK and others have said eBay but I have never actually seen it there in my searches. Either by King or Muller.
    I'll check again.

What I don't understand is if King is so opposed to abridgments of his works (as I am) why he allows them? For instance, The Regulators on audio is abridged. I love The Regulators and Desperation and it annoys me that he would let them make an abridged audio version. Right now we're listening to Dreamcatcher, which has one of the best audio readers I've heard read any book on CD or tape I've heard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast