Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Stephen King Audio Books

Traveler mdk101 is on a distinguished road mdk101's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Audiobooks!

I first discovered The Gunslinger many years ago when I was in high school and got up the Wizard and glass while I was in college but got hooked to WoW and my path to the tower was put on hold (>.<).

Since my job doesn't require too much networking via the phone I decided to retake the journey via audiobooks. (not to mention I read the older version of The Gunslinger).

As King states in his afterword (at the end of Wolves of the Calla, I believe) that he in fact used his audiobooks to get reacquainted with the series, since you're "forced" to go along with the story and cannot skip any part or word.

For those familliar with the audiobooks:_______________________________

I was pretty bummed to hear that Frank Muller, who read the first four novels (note: however it was his replacement that read the revised version of The Gunslinger), had suffered an accident (and eventually died) which made it impossible for him to finish the series.

His narration is simply second to none and his voices for each character were in fact endorsed by S. King as what he would have thought the characters should sound like. Even his voice for the lobstrosities was simply awesome and I knew when I first started The Drawing of the Three that this guy would blow George Guiddall out of the water. Not to knock George, he is also a great narrator, his voice for Roland was nothing short of perfect and I preferred his to Frank's.

Sorry that was long, my central point:
    If they were to close the series at the end of Wizard and Glass (in terms of the audiobooks), I would have been completely satisfied. It was a proper book for Frank Muller to finish off the series, as I felt the books after simply were not on the same level of the first four.

I sometimes go back to the scene before they depart again along the path of the beam where Eddie announces they are Ka-tet. His narration of that final scene is simply haunting and am thankful for his contribution to the series.

Frank Muller:

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree on every level man, great post.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Citizen of Gilead tamez is on a distinguished road tamez's Avatar

:rose:

it is a great post
    i love the audiobooks myself
    although i really wish king would have
    kept reading them himself
    i just don't think there's anything better
    than hearing him read the first four books

i'm merging this with our Stephen King Audiobooks thread
    great contribution mdk
    There are other worlds than these.
    "You brought your bitch to the Waffle Hut?"

"(859): You were wearing a sombrero. And a crown. And told me to use the nerf gun to protect your room from the cat. You don't have a cat."
    ~ texts from last night

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Frank Mueller blessed the series, for certain. His narration added a lot to the flavor of the story.
    I'd LOVE to hear SK reading his own words, but haven't had the chance yet.

Traveler JustSomeone is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Dark Tower Audiobooks

I have been, for quite dome time, been listening to the DT series audiobooks. I am currently in the first 3rd of The Wolves of the Calla.
    I'm enjoying them EMMENSELY, as I'm sure any fan would. One issue I have had with these books has been the narrator. Rather, I should say narrators, plural.
    I had gotten each audiobook independantly and hadn't, as I came to regret, stuck with the same narrator throughout the series. The Gunslinger was read by George Guidall, as is Wolves of the Calla. He does a good job and I am definetely into it,but he is not my favorite reader. Books 2,3, and 4 in the series (as I have it) were read by Frank Muller and are simply amazing. I was lost in the world of voices Mr. Muller created. I listen to many audiobooks, mostly Stephen King, and he is by far the best. Though I suppose I should say he WAS the best... Though, for my money, he will always be the greatest.
    I'm curious... has anyone else listened to the audiobooks? Do you have a preference? which was your favorite?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There is a thread for SK Audiobooks already...

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ght=audiobooks

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

::soundtrack: merge theme::

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

How do you know the Gunslinger Limited S/L audiobook by just looking at a picture? Why would amazon sell them for $15

http://www.amazon.com/Gunslinger-Dar...8916283&sr=8-2

Was there reprints of it?
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

There is no physical difference between the signed edition and the regular one. The signed one is, uhm, signed and numbered on King's picture, that's all.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

yep, that's what I thought. thanks
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Gunslinger Apprentice BigSchu22 is on a distinguished road BigSchu22's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I prefer George Guidall's deeper voiced, more gruff sounding Roland, but Frank Muller's Eddy and other characters are far superior. I do like George's robot voices as well.
    Scorpius: Kill her. Then we'll have pizza and margarita shooters. Go on, John. Kill her. Do it. Do it.
    John Crichton: [aims gun at Scorpius instead] Nobody has margaritas with pizza.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I'm really enjoying John Slattery (Roger Sterling from MAD MEN) reading Duma Key.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15