Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help remembering a forgotten book? ASK HERE!

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

i knew it was popular enough someone would know it out of hand. Thanks, ola.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I would like to read about Mahatma Gandhi. About his life. There are so many books about him and his work I don't know which one I should choose. So if anyone has read a book about him and loved it please let me now the author and I will buy that one.
    Thank you for your help.
    The Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mohandas K. Gandhi. His autobiography.

John F. Kennedy ConstanToweReader is on a distinguished road

Years ago (probably in the 70's) I read a book about an archeaologist in Africa. He went back in time and was a part of a war between different factions. It was such a good book and I read it several times but somehow misplaced my copy. Anyone have a clue?

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You are amazing. Seriously. I spent two hours looking for that fucking thing last night. Thank you so much.

Of course now I can read the Amazon reviews instead of reading the book.

On the Beach is such an amazing book that depresses the shit out of me and makes me really, really paranoid.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

ain't it great?
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ka-mai View Post
    On the Beach is such an amazing book that depresses the shit out of me and makes me really, really paranoid.
    I remember not being into it whenever I read it (probably in high school), I think I might like it more now. All that post-nuclear-war stuff scared the crap out of me as a kid.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanToweReader View Post
    Years ago (probably in the 70's) I read a book about an archeaologist in Africa. He went back in time and was a part of a war between different factions. It was such a good book and I read it several times but somehow misplaced my copy. Anyone have a clue?
    I don't know this one but I want to read it!

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The post-nuclear-war shit still scares the crap out of me, but the book is great. Filled with doom.

I think it might have been this book. I thought it had the name Sun in the title
    http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/novels/the_sunbird.html

The Sunbird

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

ON THE BEACH was a fantastic book.

The link to THE SUNBIRD sounds interesting... May have to read that one.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I would like to read about Mahatma Gandhi. About his life. There are so many books about him and his work I don't know which one I should choose. So if anyone has read a book about him and loved it please let me now the author and I will buy that one.
    Thank you for your help.
    The Story of My Experiments With Truth by Mohandas K. Gandhi. His autobiography.
    Thank you.
    I have bought some really good books about his life so far but I will check out this one, too.

Roland would have understood.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanToweReader View Post
    It's probably not the right book due to the timeframe. But a very similar book is Timeline by Micheal Crighton. I thought it was one of his better books.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

I also thought Timeline was good, my boyfriend hated it though.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES watch the movie. I think I made better films as a hyper preteen with a camcorder.

John F. Kennedy Beambounder is on a distinguished road Beambounder's Avatar

Default Find a GREAT BOOK

I recommend Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon, Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons,And anything by Daniel Easterman -especially The Night of The Seventh Darkness. Many more suggestions. an infinitum if you want more suggestions ,drop me a personal message, at rongailsip1@yahoo.com. Happy to oblige. Long Days and Pleasant Nights. Beambounder,AKA E.Freemantle, in this TERRITORY Ron Scott Sippel

I read Timeline years ago and thought it was very good. I don't think I saw the movie. there is a PC game, too. I have it, but had it installed on my old computer and it was "awkward" It was probably the computer not the game.

Beambounder Swan Song was my first book by Robert McCammon. Someone mentioned him at another King site. I've read several by Dan Simmons, too.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

dear friends,

this thread is going to be merged with that thread very soon

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Long ago, I read a children's book with a talking cat who leads some kids into another world through a magic door inside a hollow tree. Anyone have any idea what book that one was?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I have heard before that the Timeline film was awful, which seems a real shame since the novel was so very cinematic. Great potential there for a good movie.

Grubby Little Troglodyte Goblin is on a distinguished road Goblin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Long ago, I read a children's book with a talking cat who leads some kids into another world through a magic door inside a hollow tree. Anyone have any idea what book that one was?
    It wasn't one of Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree books was it?

I'm Pink, Therefore I'm Spam.

My Mood
    Breezy

Most of Michael Crichton's books that were made movies were slaughtered, in my opinion, with the possible exception of Jurassic Park and JP2. The rest were Bleh. Timeline was shit. I mean, Paul Walker? WTF?

My Mood
    Breezy

Since there's two threads being merged today (ithink) I hope this still shows up in the merged thread. I got my answer about On The Beach in the other one, maybe someone can help me on this one for this book. It should be much harder.

The book is about a serial killer and the cop trying to catch him. He's going around killing everyone who was on a cruise ship at a certain cruise, and the reason is that he was raping people on the cruise, and was arrested or something. Turns out he had a small winky, and I guess he wanted to kill everyone who knew about it.

Seriously, sounds ridiculous but this book is good, 'Thomas Harris' quality stuff. I've been trying to find it for years.

Country
    Country Flag

Honestly I hated JP2 because it was just about zero canon. I mean, JP3 was not great, but in my mind better because at least it was based on an actual book.

I love Jurassic Park though.

My Mood
    Breezy

i think you got it backwards.

Sunset Alex is on a distinguished road Alex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John Blaze View Post
    Most of Michael Crichton's books that were made movies were slaughtered, in my opinion, with the possible exception of Jurassic Park and JP2. The rest were Bleh. Timeline was shit. I mean, Paul Walker? WTF?
    Obviously you have never seen The Great Train Robbery.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat" -Theodore Roosevelt

My Mood
    Breezy

obviously you didn't read the word MOST. I used the word most because I haven't seen them all. I also haven't read them all, I've read most.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast