Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scariest Stephen King passage?

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

I'm going to! As soon as I get myself to a half priced books!

Along the Path of the Beam rico567 is on a distinguished road

When you want scary, you want something that isn't supernatural, just an inescapable fact of life. Here, King establishes a completely new category of scary:

"Shall I tell you what sociology teaches us about the human race? I’ll give it to you in a nutshell. Show me a man or woman alone and I’ll show you a saint. Give me two and they’ll fall in love. Give me three and they’ll invent that charming thing we call 'society.' Give me four and they’ll build a pyramid. Give me five and they’ll make one an outcast. Give me six and they’ll re-invent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they’ll re-invent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of his opposite number, and is always trying to get back home."

- The Stand

Traveler Corwin is on a distinguished road Corwin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Firestarter
    Spoiler:
    Herman Pynchot's fatal attraction to a garbage disposal
    ...always had a problem with kitchen appliances after reading this.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I remember being shocked by the violence in both Desperation and Regulators when I first read it--at the time, King had never gone that far.

The 217 scene in The Shining was pretty scary when I first read it.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JQ The Gunslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    The one thing that has stuck with me re: creepiness factor is the phone in room 1408. That's the only King story that ever really wierded me out.

Six! This is six!
    <Shudders> Very creepy indeed
    Gotta agree. I just never felt quite right when reading it. Just always had this weird feeling in me. Only book or story that has ever done that to me.
    Yeah, same here. I get scared by book or movies once in a blue moon but when I was reading that short story.. I felt so so.. uncomfortable. And this feeling was scary indeed. I thought: 'maybe I should continue it in the morning' - but of course I couldn't put it down.
    Anyway this story is so incredibly good. Simple still it scares the death out of you.

Roland would have understood.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Desperation shocked me too, but the thing I think I found the scariest was the passage in IT where
    Spoiler:
    you hear how Stan died and see his gory warning/suicide note simply saying, "It" - that really gave me the shivers.

I think it was so scary because it relayed how immensely afraid the characters were, so you as the reader knew you were in for a rough ride.

Along the Path of the Beam TheCrisisKing is on a distinguished road TheCrisisKing's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It "Hiya Georgie" thats all

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Have to agree with the Lincoln Tunnel scene from the Stand. There are many runners up, but this one for me takes the cake.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice Solar is on a distinguished road Solar's Avatar

Many scenes in It (including those mentioned above) freak me out.

Along the Path of the Beam GirlGoneNineteen is on a distinguished road GirlGoneNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Adding to my previous post:
    The Regulators - going deeper and deeper into the mine. My severe claustrophobia doesn't help, either!
    The Wastelands - One word: Blaine.
    Children of the Corn - the description of the church :shudder:
    So much you did and so much more you would have done, aye, and all without a check or qualm, and so will the world end, I think, a victim of love rather than hate. For love's ever been the more destructive weapon, sure.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Lincoln Tunnel scene, and the thing under the castle in Dark Tower 7.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pet Sematary was extremely scary for me. It was my first King book, and I started it only a few months after I experienced the first death of someone I knew. My 8th grade GF was killed in a car wreck when her idiot brother was screwing with the radio. I stayed home a lot after that and that is when I decided to clear my head by reading a book. Looking back, I could have made a better choice of read. Now, as a 30 something, I find King scary in different ways. 1408 did make me feel weird while reading very late a few months ago while everyone slept. Good thing I did not watch the movie first. Finishing up Desperation now, shows more violence than I remember. Most of my early King books were Different Season's(Apt Pupil was chilling),Needful Things, Bag of Bones, Tommyknockers and Dreamcatcher. So, The Dark Tower was just a joy and not as violent to me as it may have been to others. If Regulators gets worse than Desperation, then I guess I am in for a treat.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

The lawn jockey scene in Duma Key creeped me out more than anything in other SK books so far. Totally random.

And the first time I read the Wastelands, I think that Blaine might have spooked me too. I don't clearly remember though.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This one is not King, but Peter Straub and even though I read it over 20 years ago I still recall it as one of the most spine tingling passages I have ever read. I believe the book was Floating Dragon (could be Ghost Story my memory has gone to shit lately) There is a scene where the local football star confronts a werewolf at the top of the stairs and the beast smashes his head against the wall and proceeds to come down the stairs dragging the kids brains along the wall as he descends. Very Creepy

Damn scared myself just typing that!! lol lol

Anyone with a better memory recall that passage?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Again, this is not King, but I was a read-a-holic as a kid and never even considered anything that wasn't on the NY Times best-seller list. Then I had a teacher who convinced me that classic's are classic's for a reason.

Hence, I read "Bram Stokers Dracula" and man what a creepy & scary story especially in the way it is written. Frankenstien was great as well. Probably got me going on my SK obsession lol lol

Just my 3 beans on the matter
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Have to agree with the Lincoln Tunnel scene from the Stand. There are many runners up, but this one for me takes the cake.
    I totally agree with this!

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

The death of Eddie Corocan in IT.

You knew that he was dead already, but just the idea that King would kill off this 12 year old boy,have him murdered by It, was so awful. I was 11 when I read it, and its just so creepy. You've read about the other Losers having their experiences with Pennywise, but for some reason or another (quick thinking or just dumb luck) they got away. Eddie didn't. He died in the park on the last day of school, torn apart by something that looked like the creature from the Black Lagoon.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Delah View Post
    The death of Eddie Corocan in IT.
    That part was very creepy, especially when Mike Hanlon rides his bike over to the park, in the fog, the next morning.

Especially -

The foam broke apart, became meaningless again, and at that moment there was a loud splash on his right. Mike snapped his head around, shrinking back a little, and for a moment he believed he saw something in the shadows of the outflow tunnel where the Canal resurfaced after its course under downtown.
    Then it was gone.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The scariest passage King ever wrote for me was

Spoiler:
    when Rachel came home to Louis in Pet Semetary. He hears he walk in and... "Darling", it said. BAM!! I had to read it twice before my brain fully grasped the horror of the passage.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Pet Sematary was always one of the scariest books for me. On recent reread, having two new twin daughters (18 mos), the book took on a horrible aspect that hadnt really affected me as strongly in previous reads.
    Pet Sematary spoiler

These things, though not necessarily scary were truly horrible, especially from a father's aspect.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

don't even mention Pet Sematary to me, or I won't be able to sleep

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'til the end of the world rosie real is on a distinguished road rosie real's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pet Sematary was always one of the scariest books for me. On recent reread, having two new twin daughters (18 mos), the book took on a horrible aspect that hadnt really affected me as strongly in previous reads.
    Pet Sematary spoiler

These things, though not necessarily scary were truly horrible, especially from a father's aspect.
    isn't it interesting how this book changes so dramatically once a child is in your life? i never thought twice about it until my god daughter was born. i haven't read it since. i just can't bring myself to pick it up.

. . . but i'm paralyzed with not caring very much.
    ~ spike

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by rosie real View Post
    Pet Sematary spoiler

isn't it interesting how this book changes so dramatically once a child is in your life? i never thought twice about it until my god daughter was born. i haven't read it since. i just can't bring myself to pick it up.
    I actually almost cried a couple of times, and books rarely affect me so powerfully.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    The lawn jockey scene in Duma Key creeped me out more than anything in other SK books so far. Totally random.

And the first time I read the Wastelands, I think that Blaine might have spooked me too. I don't clearly remember though.
    Amen, AMEN!!!

It truly scared the bejesus out of me.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The scariest words Stephen King ever wrote:

Spoiler:
    The End
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast