Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Scariest Stephen King passage?

Traveler Barlowe is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AIMB View Post
    Well sadly i have never read any Lovecraft. Looks like I am going to have to pick it up though because I love both of those stories. My ADD kicks in when i try to read something older because of the "language barrier" I guess. Not a good thing for someone who loves to read.
    You should definetely pick up some Lovecraft...IMO, there isn't a real language barrier with his stuff - mostly, anyhow. I really enjoyed his "In the Mountains of Madness" (I think it's called) and certain other of his works. Be warned though, there is some popular culture you'll suddenly know is basing their stuff on Lovecraft :p

For me, as for many others, the phone in 1408 with its SIX, this is SIX and all that jazz is just horrifying.

There are certain other SK books such as Pet Sematary which I have re-read maybe 1 or 2 times since my original reading of it, since the whole damn thing just freaks me out.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    To me, the most high tension, scariest - it would be the trip through the tunnel that Larry Underwood takes in The Stand when he's leaving NYC.
    Being a life-long NYer, I would have to agree that scene, without a doubt creeped me out the most!!!!!!!!

Next was Danny going into the room (218?) in the Overlook and afte that, unfortunately, Floating Dragon and the "Wolfman in the house" scene!!!!!!

Stu in Stovington facility was pretty scary as well. Real page turner!!!!

Oh!!! and when the Vamp confronted Callahan in the kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have the occasional nightmare regarding all three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I found myself INCREDIBLY creeped out in the Langoliers with the empty world. I initially read it what I was a music nerd living in a jock dorm. I was reading it on a Friday night at about midnight when the place was usually just obnoxiously loud. On this night however, there was just NOTHING going on outside my room. I was so affected by the book that I had to get dressed and walk clear up to the lobby to make sure there were still people around.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I enjoy Steve's writing very much but not many things actually scare me in a book, I just find them cool or messed up but 2 passages he wrote that creeped me out while reading were:

The part in The Shining where they hear a party in the hotel and the elevator is full of confetti, man that was awesome. I really felt like I was standing there with them waiting for that door to open. Chills, man, chills!

In Gerald's game when she woke up and saw the dude in the corner. That was literally the equivalent to a jump scare in the movies but while reading, to me.

Honorable mention goes to Steve's reading of 1408...number 9 number 9....
    Love it!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The scariest King's passage for me is (expectedly) in Pet Sematary; I can't quote it verbatim because I am home alone, and the night is coming - I prefer not to touch this book under such circumstances. It's when

Spoiler:
    He is waiting for Gage to come back, and hears a sound in the house. The sound is stealthy, but at the same time it's obvious that the one who made it meant it to be heard.

I really wish I hadn't remembered it now.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Home alone in the dark is the best time for horrors.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely Brice

I think the scariest passage ever is the one from Misery where
    Spoiler:
    Annie hobbles Paul. I actually felt that. The anticipation was gut wrenching

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I can't give you the passage verbatim, and I can't recall if it was a flashback or not,
    Spoiler:
    but Patrick Hockstetter smothering his baby brother. Another from IT that sticks with me is Henry's dad sitting in the darkened room with either a katana or gun across his lap, blaming Mike Hanlon's family for their misfortune. I think it led Henry to kill Mike's dog. Being a dog lover, it was a horrific thing to read.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

For me it's the end of The Jaunt

Spoiler:
    Longer than you think dad, longer than you think!
    The image of the crazy kid screaming those words has been burnt in my mind ever since I read it

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jimimck View Post
    For me it's the end of The Jaunt

Spoiler:
    Longer than you think dad, longer than you think!
    The image of the crazy kid screaming those words has been burnt in my mind ever since I read it
    Couldn't agree more.

Traveler BabyBlue is on a distinguished road BabyBlue's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Full Dark, No Stars from the story 1922
    Spoiler:
    The husband throws the wife's body in the well along with the bed clothes and a burlap sack. She is described as looking like she is dressed for a party. The burlap sack holding her hair back like a snood. Something about the word snood continues to scare me even as I am typing this. Later when she comes to the door with her loyal court of rats, her snood is flecked with snow...
    and my skin wants to crawl right off my body and hide under the bed until its all over.

loyal follower of Tiamat kirin is on a distinguished road kirin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pet semetery in general tends to mess with my head

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

You might laugh but for me this (from DT): "...the most horrible fact of human existence is that broken hearts mend."

Roland would have understood.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also remember the end of The Road Virus Heads North scaring me when I first read it.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

The chapter of "IT" titled "Another of The Missing: The Death of Patrick Hockstetter" is one of the most frightening things I've ever read in a novel.
    Also, the two scenes that have already been mentioned from Gerald's Game were pretty damn scary.
    And, finally, this one isn't from King, but, in William Pete Blatty's The Exorcist, there is a scene where Regan's skin comes up in goose-flesh to spell "HELP ME", and that was actually THE most frightening thing I've ever read. I had to put down the book, go smoke a cigarette, calm down, and come back to it. There were a few scenes like that in that novel, but that one in particular. I get chills just thinking about it.
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by woodpryan View Post
    The chapter of "IT" titled "Another of The Missing: The Death of Patrick Hockstetter" is one of the most frightening things I've ever read in a novel.
    Also, the two scenes that have already been mentioned from Gerald's Game were pretty damn scary.
    And, finally, this one isn't from King, but, in William Pete Blatty's The Exorcist, there is a scene where Regan's skin comes up in goose-flesh to spell "HELP ME", and that was actually THE most frightening thing I've ever read. I had to put down the book, go smoke a cigarette, calm down, and come back to it. There were a few scenes like that in that novel, but that one in particular. I get chills just thinking about it.
    I'm totally with ya!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

interesting how different everything is. I found the Hockstetter part deeply disturbing, but hardly scary - and the Help Me part in The Exorcist moved me almost to tears...

Banned Joka42 will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

1922 of full dark, no stars is the story that caused more horror to my.

Traveler Lady Santos will become famous soon enough Lady Santos's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Shining-where Danny was on the playground in the snow and that "thing" was in the tunnel-the only passage in any book that has chilled me to the bone. Also, N., one of the short stories in Full Dark. *shudders* Was extremely creepy, but still did not have the impact on me that The Shining did.
    "I was thinking about Isis, and how she thought I was so reckless."-Isis, Bob Dylan

"Versifying Robin Hoods, stealing from the wealth of our poverty to feed our spirits"-Alan Kaufman, on modern Outlaw poets

Traveler Lady Santos will become famous soon enough Lady Santos's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Apologies, "N" was in "Just After Sunset." brain meltdown there
    "I was thinking about Isis, and how she thought I was so reckless."-Isis, Bob Dylan

"Versifying Robin Hoods, stealing from the wealth of our poverty to feed our spirits"-Alan Kaufman, on modern Outlaw poets

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Santos View Post
    Apologies, "N" was in "Just After Sunset." brain meltdown there
    you can always edit your posts, there's a special button

Along the Path of the Beam Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"I found a room in the basement of my heart, and I put those things in that room and then I locked the door" - Sam Peebles

Story: The Library Policeman, Chapter 10.
    Book: Four Past Midnight.
    Publication: September 1990.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

From It:
    Spoiler:
    COME HOME COME HOME COME HOME

Still gives me the chills.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

This passage from Pet Sematary freaked me out when I first read it, and has only become more chilling over time. You probably all know the one I'm talking about:

Spoiler:

It was a moment with his son that Louis never forgot. As he had gone up and into the kite as a child himself, he now found himself going into Gage, his son. He felt himself shrink until he was within Gage's tiny house, looking out of the windows that were his eyes--looking out at a world that was so huge and bright, a world where Mrs. Vinton's field was nearly as big as the Bonneville Salt Flats, where the kite soared miles above him, the string drumming in his fist like a live thing as the wind blew around him, tumbling his hair.
    "Kite flyne!" Gage cried out to his father, and Louis put his arm around Cage's shoulders and kissed the boy's cheek, in which the wind had bloomed a wild rose.
    "I love you, Gage," he said--it was between the two of them, and that was all right.
    And Gage, who now had less than two months to live, laughed shrilly and joyously. "Kite flyne! Kite flyne, Daddy!"

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    The scariest King's passage for me is (expectedly) in Pet Sematary; I can't quote it verbatim because I am home alone, and the night is coming - I prefer not to touch this book under such circumstances. It's when

Spoiler:
    He is waiting for Gage to come back, and hears a sound in the house. The sound is stealthy, but at the same time it's obvious that the one who made it meant it to be heard.

I really wish I hadn't remembered it now.
    Totally agree... pet sematery scared the crap out of me.
    I was 19 in bed in a flat in spain by myself...
    Also
    soiler
    my God I could see it!
    I had to get up and turn on every light in the apartment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4