Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The 12 Guardians of the Beams

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

are you sure it doesn't say that? I'm pretty sure it does say that NCP is one of the underlings of Sombra. It is my personal theory that Trans Corp. is another of these shadow entities.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    are you sure it doesn't say that? I'm pretty sure it does say that NCP is one of the underlings of Sombra. It is my personal theory that Trans Corp. is another of these shadow entities.
    It never says for sure that one owns the other..except for Trans Corp. In DT7 it is mentioned that it is a subsidiary of North Central Positronics.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

aha!

further proof that I am right and NCP is evil!
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Wikipedia's entries on Sombra Corporation and North Central Positronics are interesting -

Sombra Corporation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Dark Tower Portal
    Sombra Corporation is a fictional megacorporation in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
    Sombra corporation is controlled by the Crimson King. Sombra Corporation rose to power in the late 80s and fully monopolized high-tech R&D and manufacturing for an unknown, but certainly long period of time. It is affiliated with LaMerk Industries and North Central Positronics. In the Keystone World, the reign of Sombra Corporation was challenged and possibly halted by the Tet Corporation, which was founded by Roland and his ka-tet specifically for this purpose.
    In the novels, Sombra Corporation's main act of 'evil' was to purchase the vacant lot in Manhattan which contained the rose, the manifestation of the Dark Tower on this plane of existence. The purpose of this move was to demolish the land to build condos, thus destroying the rose and, perhaps in the process, weakening or destroying the Dark Tower, the linchpin which held the multiverse together.
    Note: "Sombra" means "shadow" or "shade" in Spanish and Portuguese.

North Central Positronics

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Dark Tower Portal
    North Central Positronics is a fictional corporation in Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series.
    North Central Positronics appears in multiple works of Stephen King, sometimes as a passing reference or -- as in the Dark Tower series -- a central "character" to the story. It is a huge corporation which manufactures technologically-advanced items such as robots, computers, and weapons. Although almost all of North Central Positronics's products appear on the surface to be designed to benefit or protect civilization, these products are almost always shown in the story as dangerous, damaged, or perverted from their original purpose. This is most prominent in the Dark Tower series, where the few remaining North Central Positronics products still functioning have gone insane, preying upon life and the remnants of civilization. In a larger sense, North Central Positronics is a classical example of the Frankenstein Complex.
    Stephen King uses North Central Positronics as an example of a society that has shunned the "natural" world, instead attempting to control the world via technology. In the Dark Tower series, the Old Ones -- the technologically advanced society that has "moved on" and left the world in ruin -- sought to replace the magical means by which the world was controlled with technology from North Central Positronics. Unfortunately, this technology either ran amok or degraded over time, wreaking destruction upon reality itself.
    By the time it is encountered by Roland and his ka-tet, North Central Positronics is part of the Sombra Group, owned by the Crimson King, the personification of Satan and evil in the world of the Dark Tower. The Crimson King's stated goal is the destruction of the multiverse, thus the destructive failure of North Central Positronics's products can be seen as an ultimate design goal instead of an unfortunate happenstance. This theme is carried forward in every Stephen King book featuring North Central Positronics, but none more so than the Dark Tower series.
    North Central Positronics can be seen as a parable on the futility of man's attempt to control nature and thus his destiny. In this sense, the ultimate failure of technology in the face of the natural and/or supernatural can be compared to the Tower of Babel and such famous disasters such as the sinking of the RMS Titanic.

No entry for LaMerk Foundry though.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    It is affiliated with LaMerk Industries and North Central Positronics.
    told you so.

Interplay Fan HanzouNorak is on a distinguished road HanzouNorak's Avatar

aha!

further proof that I am right and NCP is evil!
    so since your the expert on the evil bisnuesses in End-world here, can you explain to me how these two are run considering the nuke war (or whatever apoctliptic thing happened) that seemed to wipe off most of humanity?

and All_hail, can u tell me where it says that? lines can be interpreted this way and that so i wanna give you a second opinion.

told you so.
    Told me so what? I've been in agreement with you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by HanzouNorak View Post

so since your the expert on the evil bisnuesses in End-world here, can you explain to me how these two are run considering the nuke war (or whatever apoctliptic thing happened) that seemed to wipe off most of humanity?

and All_hail, can u tell me where it says that? lines can be interpreted this way and that so i wanna give you a second opinion.
    Where it says what Hanzou? Where it says that NCP is necessarily evil?

My Mood
    Breezy

told you so.
    Told me so what? I've been in agreement with you on this.
    I wasn't telling you, dude. I was just saying.

and Hanzou, where did I say I'm an expert? Why not prove me wrong?

Oh it was just the crack speaking then. I understand.

My Mood
    Breezy

Oh it was just the crack speaking then. I understand.
    The crack of your mom's ass.

The crack of my mom's ass can swear in Latin..what does the crack of your mother's ass do? Besides being the receptical of every dick in the county I mean.

My Mood
    Breezy

The crack of my mom's ass can swear in Latin..what does the crack of your mother's ass do? Besides being the receptical of every dick in the county I mean.
    except yours, because it has that sign that says you must be this long l..l to ride, remember?

Your dick is so small it's inverted, must be why you're such a bitch.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

COUGH COUGH

NOW

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy

say sorry, Jean, but CK and I have been friends for a while, and as such our conversations sometimes deteriorate into pissing contests and mama jokes.

we're back on topic now.

I've noticed there's no Towerpedia article on NCP, and I've decided to write it myself as soon as I get a chance.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

NCP technology stopped aiding the beams and the Tower long before Roland and his ka-tet faced off with Shardik. Shardik was sick and insane, and the humming coming from his portal (from memory) sounded dangerous and negative. CK didn't need to do anything about Shardik (or any of the other NCP guardians, if they still existed) because they weren't helping the beams any longer.

I've assumed that while NCP was under the control of the old ones, they (naively) tried to help existence by bolstering the power of the fading prim through technology. Then there was the inevitable technology war (which has been an ongoing theme in other modern literature aswell - our technology is our downfall etc) and fragments of these mega-companies tried to pick up and continue. They were usurped by the Red for the Red's purposes only.

Who knows in what time frame the "golden era" of NCP was in relation to Keystone Earth. The Tet corp is founded to try and prevent and control NCP, Sombra and LaMerk from achieving objectives that would ultimately help the Red.

In Keystone Earth, we are getting the impression that Sombra and NCP have just begun their rise to power, but in Roland's World, they're almost in the dust (or will be soon). This confirms the theory (which is also another recurring theme in modern lit) that time is a wheel and events are cyclical. This is also evidenced by the giant statue of Roland (or a Gunslinger who looks alot like Roland) in Lud.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Little Coffin Hunter Gunslinger_by_Ka is on a distinguished road Gunslinger_by_Ka's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:rose: Knowledge Quiz, only one question...

Can anyone name the names of all of the gaurdians of the beam?

Bear, Turtle, Fish, Eagle, Lion, Bat, and Wolf
    ~Never a dull moment in Mid-World~

As far as I know they all haven't been named yet. Probably will be in the upcoming graphic novel series'. I don't think the Waystation is the right forum for this thread to be in though.

Also, there is already a thread about the 12 Guardians here -

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?t=479

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I moved it to the town commons, just waiting on a merge.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

According to wikipedia they are:

Bear - Turtle
    Horse - Dog
    Rat - Fish
    Elephant - Wolf
    Lion - Eagle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waste_Lands

...but that is only ten.

According to this site:

http://stephenking.kraftysworld.co.u...wer/guardians/

The other two are Ape and Bat. I'm not certain of the accuracy of this though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Yeah, but the person who started the thread wants to know the names of the Guardians. They aren't all named yet.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, I guess I misunderstood. Sorry!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Well, we've got Maturin and Shardik and the Guardian of the 13th Gate (that doesn't count)...and thats it. I'm really hoping they'll all be named in upcoming issues of the graphic novel.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm really hoping they'll all be named in upcoming issues of the graphic novel.
    I don't think that should count as King has does not write for these graphic novels.

You might as well make up the names yourself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast