Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26

Thread: Roland - General discussion

John F. Kennedy lonely_cube is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by LovesSweetExile View Post
    So your saying even though Roland ages naturally through actual time, he physically ages as normal? That kinda makes sense, I always assumed he had some kind of immortality due to his bloodline.
    The only problem with the bloodline thing is, Sheb and Sheemie are also still alive from before the fall of Gilead, and I'd be quite surprised if both of them happened to be indirect descendants of Arthur Eld. It seems more likely that time just kinda skips past people occasionally, without affecting them in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    Also, in WotC, Roland realized that he actually went todash during his palaver with Walter.
    Yeah, this always confused me a bit. My best guess is that he was actually todash for around 10 years, but it was such a confusing jumble of messages that forgot almost everything he saw, making it seem like less time went by.

Along the Path of the Beam LovesSweetExile is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply's guys, i think the most logical explanation what brainslinger stated was that from Roland's POV, he has lived around 40-60 years, lets say 50-60 to be safe, so that means he was most probably in his late 20's/early 30's during the battle of Jericho Hill.

Although, when he meets Sheemie during The Dark Tower, it say's Sheemie looks about 35 if I remember, but thing is, Sheemie isn't that much younger than Roland, i'd say during WAG, Sheemie was around 11-12, so theres a little mystery right there, unless he doesn't age physically the same way Roland does because of his powers.

So when it took Roland 20 years to reach the Western Sea, to him he may have aged 20 years, but the rest of Mid and End World, possibly hundreds, if not a thousand years could have passed, which is quite trippy, considering in just 20 years from a specific location, I wonder if Roland himself is aware of this, because to him, Gilead, the gunslingers, John Farson etc, is not relatively old and in the history books, but to others, its ancient. Its like, if king Aurther travelled from Scotland to Wales, from his time to our time, he be like wtf !

Gunslinger Apprentice osseolax28 is on a distinguished road

If you had to put an age on him, i'd say he was in his 50's at the end of the series. So lets say he aged 50-60 normal years, but because time and terrrain changes so frequently in his universe, he may look older or younger than he actually is; depending on how time is moving at a particular moment.

Let's say he's 52 in WotC and looks 46, but the world around him changed much faster than he did physicaly.

Basically i think that Roland does not move WITH time, but rather time moves AROUND Roland and those connected to his Ka. Possibly the Towers way of protecting him?

With time moving around him, it would allow him to look younger or older than he really is at a givin time. But the world around him would age faster.

Along the Path of the Beam LovesSweetExile is on a distinguished road

Basically i think that Roland does not move WITH time, but rather time moves AROUND Roland and those connected to his Ka. Possibly the Towers way of protecting him?
    Thats an awesome theory !

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, bears like it, too - it fits well with their belief that Roland, being a key figure in the multiverse, lives in accordance with specific laws.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler Brimania is on a distinguished road

Alright. This is a tough question for many reasons, the most obvious being that the entire DT series is almost entirely about agonizing choices. The obvious answer:

However one could argue:

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I would have to go with
    Spoiler:
    Letting go of Jake
    but, just to be a devils advocate what about
    Spoiler:
    Choosing to kill his own Mother?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

but it wasn't like he chose this, was it?

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Path of the Turtle. Roland has agonized ever afterward since choosing the tower although I do not think for one second that he would change it.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ohdiscordia View Post
    Oh, well I think it was when DT7 spoiler
    Spoiler:
    Roland makes the decision to hypnotize Stephen King and the driver of the van (choosing the tower) instead of helping/comforting Jake as he is dyeing.
    I would agree with this, i think it took till this point for him to realise how much he cared about those around him.

gunslinger spoiler
    Spoiler:
    when he dropped Jake at the start he knew damn well what he was doing and he always intended to do it. why else would he become 'the boy' in rolands head? and it took a long time for roland to stop thinking of him in that way, therefore i dont agree that this was an agonising decision for him

I beleive he switched himself off emotionally after all the stuff that went on in W&G and therefore it was only when he re-attached himself and discovered a new KA-TET that his decisions became any where near agonising, previous to this he was emotionless
    W&G spoiler
    Spoiler:
    even in W&G he appeared to me to be hormone laden boy so any decision he made would be more teenage angst than any real hard decision that would come later

in regards to the decision to kill his own mother, this was not a decision. Yes it was agonising in its knowledge **after the fact** but not an actual decision at the time

So on a purely personal level all the agonising decisions he made, came later, and i think its only when he realises how much he cares for his new Ka-tet that his decision gets hard.

wastelands spoiler
    Spoiler:
    for example, although its not in a really hard agonising decision, i know that he hated having to ask susannah to tackle the demon alone whole eddie opens the door.

So for me, i agree with ohdiscordia the worst one for him is the
    DT7 spoiler
    Spoiler:
    the moment he can not help jake to die, or at the very least to be there for him. you can tell this in the hate he feels for stephen king for putting them all in this position

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Well Jean, if you're referring to my post, didn't he have a choice to pull the trigger and kill his Mom? or am I forgetting something? I guess I am due for a re-read, but I lent my reader copy books to a kid I coach in little league.

As I recall it was sort of a reaction scenario, but a choice he made nevertheless.

As long as I'm on the topic, though I said "dropping Jake" I really don't believe it. It has always been my contention that the "Jake-Drop" was a non-issue since due to time travel/Alternate Universe, it never really happened. I've tried to convey this thought before and always get beaten down, so I usually don't bother anymore, but it seems pertinent here.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Well Jean, if you're referring to my post, didn't he have a choice to pull the trigger and kill his Mom? or am I forgetting something? I guess I am due for a re-read, but I lent my reader copy books to a kid I coach in little league.

As I recall it was sort of a reaction scenario, but a choice he made nevertheless.
    If we keep to the letter of the book, he didn't realize it was his mother till it was too late, so he didn't actually make a choice to kill her.

On a more metaphysical plane, well, yes, it was his choice whether or not to let himself be manipulated by the glammer. In this respect, him killing his mother echoes him leaving Susan at the mercy of the mob: both for believing what he was made to believe.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Jelly or Syrup
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

If we keep to the letter of the book, he didn't realize it was his mother till it was too late, so he didn't actually make a choice to kill her.

On a more metaphysical plane, well, yes, it was his choice whether or not to let himself be manipulated by the glammer. In this respect, him killing his mother echoes him leaving Susan at the mercy of the mob: both for believing what he was made to believe.
    Yep, a re-read is in order. I forgot about the glammer. Good point, Jean.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, a very good point. Jean's right, and I think the interpretation faulting Roland "for believing what he was made to believe" is valid. Furthermore, the recurrence of that could suggest an overriding theme, and provide insight on his quest for the Dark Tower. Perhaps he's wrong to believe what he was taught that it represents, and trying to climb it is another mistake. It's frustrating that so many other elements in the books still seem to indicate the opposite.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Yes, a very good point. Jean's right, and I think the interpretation faulting Roland "for believing what he was made to believe" is valid. Furthermore, the recurrence of that could suggest an overriding theme, and provide insight on his quest for the Dark Tower. Perhaps he's wrong to believe what he was taught that it represents, and trying to climb it is another mistake. It's frustrating that so many other elements in the books still seem to indicate the opposite.
    Well yeah, because its clear (to me atleast) that his over-riding destiny is to reach the Tower and the room at the top. The quest to reach it is never in doubt, but the choices he makes o the journey determine the overall outcome. Hence the previous loops.

I suppose its also fair to say that all the choices he made prior to "The Man in Black......." are set and pre-determined. He cannot change them, but he is master of all his choices from that point on.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26