Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Roland - General discussion

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree every step we make brings us closer to adulthood but I think we all have a moment in life when we feel we must say goodbye to our childhood forever. For my part I had. It doesn't mean I became an adult at that very moment and I was just a kid some seconds before... I mean the goodbye.

Roland would have understood.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

not for me. there was a defining moment. i was child one minute and i was not the next. boom and that was it. i was no longer a child. sometimes, it happens that quickly and there's nothing you can do to stop it. you don't even see it coming.

i really think even with all he went through before hand, roland's defining moment was killing his mother. i think up until that time he really was still a child. the way he handled things in meijis proved that. the way he went to her rooms proved that. and then her death. and he was no longer the child he had been mere seconds before.

but that's just me.
    Last edited by The Lady of Shadows; 10-09-2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: reorganize thoughts

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I feel the same way but I picked another event. So it's not just you.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When did Roland lose his childhood? That question is much the same as when did we lose our childhood. I once told someone my childhood died a little at a time over the course of a year, but I was wrong. It did die far too early, but it took longer than that year. I see that now.

To those who say that Roland became an adult when he killed the Big Coffin hunters, I say that deciding to kill a man is not necessarily an adult decision. Children have done this too. Roland's participation did not make him a man. Alain was more of a man that Roland. I agree that it was not until his last ka-tet was formed that Roland began to be a man. Before, he always acted on his own selfish desires with no care toward anyone else. He may have made adult decisions and carried out adult deeds, but his motivations were based in the self-centeredness of a child. He let Jake die for his precious tower, would an adult have done such a thing?
    It took me a very long time to realise that hate, anger, and ceaseless determination don't make you an adult. Love, compassion, and selflessness will get you there so much quicker.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Catoe View Post
    He let Jake die for his precious tower, would an adult have done such a thing?
    The way I think about adults yes, they would.
    I feel adults can be selfish and self-centered, too. I absolutely agree that it's very childish when you don't care about anything but yourself but in this case 90% of the people are children over the age of 30.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would differ between a child and a teenager. A child would let anybody die because he doesn't know what death is, and isn't really sure anyone but himself is alive. A teenager would let anybody die for an idea, an ideal, a principle, or something equally idiotic. Roland, while a child no more, is very teenagerly to me, - like most everyone who can really do something for his beliefs instead of just speculating on them, he never grew up past his teens (that's why I didn't vote).

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

What do you mean by a child, Jean?
    I heard about a child around the age of 6 who stood in front of their moms when someone tried to shoot her. It wasn't a long time ago.
    So I don't think a child just because he is a child would let anybody die. Or do I misunderstand something?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I mean those children and teenager who would let others die to begin with - not all children/teenagers. My main point was that their grounds for that would be different.

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking about this this morning (thinking about Roland sure beats thinking about work!), and something occurred to me. I think that if we're still carrying around our childhood, and letting it make decisions for us in our adult life, we can't really call ourselves adults. Like Roland not wanting to form an emotional connection with others, because of how that turned out in his youth. Or me still expecting to be spoiled rotten because I was an only child (which I have mostly outgrown, for the record). It's when we put that stuff down and let ourselves move on that we really grow up.

I totally agree that the decision to kill someone is not necessarily an adult decision. As sad as it is, plenty of children here in the states make that decision - not because they are grown up but because they are afraid and don't have the maturity level to realize they have options.

But meh, that's just my two cents.

John F. Kennedy Gasher80 is on a distinguished road

i think we have to differentiate between being a man and a good man ( being a man wouldn't need any hint of altruism).

also, i think you can lump child and teenagerly into category "not man yet" (and i agree with him being teenagerly in his selfishness and inability to see the big picture).

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Default First Impressions on Roland's Name

So when I first found out his name (because he was the gunslinger for so long before they revealed his name), I was a little disappointed (since then it's grown on me) at first. I was thinking "Roland? That's it? This mysterious man's name is Roland?" Now I can't think of anything but that, that is a great name, but I was wondering what everyone else's first impression was.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I always thought the way dear Sai King wrote it was that we were supposed to believe he was an adult when he took the prostitute to bed after he got his gunna... But that's only physically. I think by learning of love, that truly brought him into real mental adulthood.

Gunslinger Apprentice ladykatherine is on a distinguished road ladykatherine's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I was thinkin' that too ladyh.
    I couldn't stop thinking of a portly, hairy, english king. I know, weird.
    Maybe that picture happened because it sounds like a rich, sophisticated person's name...?
    I was a little upset at first, but after thinking about it, I really liked that it was different.
    I don't know how that changed exactly, but yeah, first impression wasnt too happy.
    But I love it now! And I think that's what matters.

Katie

My Mood
    Worried

I mean thank Gan it wasn't something sublimely normal and average like Jon, Matt, (no offense guys) or something that has been overdone as a hero such as Lancelot, Luke Skywalker, etc.,. But I was just expecting something a little bit more mysterious... He could've stayed the unnamed for me But I still love him and his name has grown into such a mystical name now for me.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually had a picture of my friend in my mind cause one of my friends's name is Rolando so pretty close. But i like Rolands name. A very differnt name.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I feel a merge coming on as there are now two threads about this on the boards.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JQ The Gunslinger View Post
    I actually had a picture of my friend in my mind cause one of my friends's name is Rolando so pretty close. But i like Rolands name. A very differnt name.
    I was going to say something very similar, only the Rolando I know is a douchebag, so I initially disliked the gunslinger's name.

I love it now, though. 8)

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't surprised, because of the poem the series is based on. Plus, Roland is a good, noble name.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

at first I was unimpressed, but it grew on me and by the end of The Drawing of the Three I was hooked. You rarely hear the name Roland irl. I feel like it is a strong noble name and I just can't picture him as anyone else.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gunslinger Apprentice MrQuint is on a distinguished road MrQuint's Avatar

It reminded me of some really annoying dude I knew from school at the time (obviously named Roland). But I'm over that now and I like it. I think it's fitting.

Country
    Country Flag

Childe Roland was obvious right away, as well as La Chanson de Roland, Charlemagne and his knights and all that; there was no surprise here.

Country
    Country Flag

Good thread.
    I loved it from the very first moment.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Daggers and Jean.
    No surprise at all and his name is awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast