Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can You?

Fuck Adumbros is on a distinguished road Adumbros's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

Default Can You?

After having just re-read Misery, and remembering the profound impact it had not only on King's professional life but on his readers as well, and being surprised that this does not already exist somewhere, I felt that, for those of us so inclined, we should have a forum to bear our wordslinging souls in a unique manner. Ergo, I now introduce the game of Can You? to the site.

For those not in the know, here's how it'll go:

You are presented with a scenario that is probably (but not necessarily; this is at the writer's discretion) "impossible". Your job is to provide a scenario in which you, who will assume the role of the character, could escape the scenario in question. As Annie Wilkes puts it, "it doesn't have to be realistic, just fair." I.e., if you were looking down the barrel of a gun, how would you survive? A fair answer might be that the magazine was exhausted, or the firing mechanism jammed, or a cop shot the would-be murderer, or even that the weapon's wielder was not aiming at you but at a would-be assailant behind you. An unfair answer would be a cheap copout, something that absolutely could not happen in real life, such as you ducked the bullet in midflight, or that it bounced off you because your clothes were so tight. Those of you who have heard tales of the latter have been lied to. I was a Marine and, briefly, a forensic student, and have seen people shot, and let me tell you, the effect tight clothes has is like shooting a snare drum: it only causes more damage to the hollow space between entry and exit, because there is no breath of air in which the velocity of the slug can be retarded, actually increasing its potency.

We understand then, right? Great. In lieu of the ten seconds Paul Sheldon's summer camp instructor allowed in campfire sessions, we shall instead offer you two chances to purvey a logical, or "fair", solution. If you fail both, you must drop out, and the scenario stands and is passed to the next person. (You only drop out for that scenario you have failed; you may take a pass at the next one posed.)

Ready? Here goes.

You have been in an auto wreck. The vehicle lies in an embankment off the side of the road. You, however, lie in the middle of a two-lane highway, numb and immobile. It is dark, after midnight, with no trace of cloud nor star in the sky, and an eighteen-wheeler with a pair of busted headlights bears down upon you ominously. It is the only vehicle (indeed, the only other sign of life) on the road, there are no residences within sight, your cell phone shattered in the collision with the large tree, and your voice, strain though you might, is ragged and hoarse.

Can You?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Good game idea Adumbros!

As for this scenario, yes, yes I can. Prior to reaching me, the driver of the 18-wheeler is felled by a congenital heart defect which causes him to lose control of the truck and crash into the steaming wreckage of my vehicle and not into me personally.

And yes, I most certainly borrowed the "felled by a congenital heart defect" scenario from The Simpson's episode "The Homer They Fall" in which Homer has to fight heavyweight champion Drederick Tatum and Moe tells him he can beat Tatum if he just visualizes how it could happen.

My Mood
    Brooding

Nice repsonse, mate.

you get next.

It may take me awhile to come up with something. Feel free to post another if you wish. I'm better at answering in these games/riddles than I am at coming up with my own.

My Mood
    Brooding

oh hell this one's easy. all you have to do is create an impossibleness and/or escape another one.

Ok, I will give it a shot...

You are being held as an "enemy combatant" at Guantanamo Bay. You have been given no lawyer, have had no trial, and are told you are to be executed under orders from President Bush. You are being led to the firing squad by heavily armed soldiers. Your hands are shackled behind your back. Your legs are also shackled together. There is a hood over your head and all you can see is blackness. Can you get out of this one?

Is that impossible enough for you Adumbros?

My Mood
    Brooding

nope.

You bet I can.

A plane descends at an alarming pace as news arrives that the Space Needle, Golden Gate Bridge, and Minneapolis Federal Reserve have disappeared, and that further targets include Rikers Island, The Pentagon, and the Statue of Liberty.
    Amidst the mass of confusion, I manage to slip away from my would-be executors, killing one behind a shed and using his key to unlock the shackles, albeit fumbling for blindness. I then steal his uniform, use his Zippo to burn off my facial hair, and blithely follow other troops until I am near enough to the gate to make my grand exit.

did i miss anything?

Killing your guard with your hands shackled behind you must have been quite a feat, but I suppose it's possible.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Dayum!! That is amazing bro! Nice job. Altho' your face must be killing you!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

My Mood
    Brooding

:passes the flame, as it were, to the newcomer:

I wanna see what ya got.

My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Killing your guard with your hands shackled behind you must have been quite a feat, but I suppose it's possible.
    if i must specify, which i suppose is within the boundaries of the aforementioned rules, i slammed my head into his nose, impaling him on his own nasal cavity.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Was that feather passed to me then? :sweats:

The answer is within

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbros View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    if i must specify, which i suppose is within the boundaries of the aforementioned rules, i slammed my head into his nose, impaling him on his own nasal cavity.
    not necessary, but i'm glad you did specify as your answer is clever and amusing

My Mood
    Brooding

thank you, R_of_G. and yes, alinda.

You can call me Jayson if you don't feel like typing in underscores.

My Mood
    Brooding

ugh. sorry...hate the sound of my own name.

Well at least it should be easy for us to remember each other's names

My Mood
    In Love

Ok, Your out for nice stroll on fine autumn day, the walk takes thru a shaded part of the forestry divisions animal control center. Even tho' hunting is forbidden here many sly poachers still manage to lay traps in the area. The leaves have recently turned a golden array of color, and as your going down a small hill near the lake you step right on a bear trap! Its metal claws dig into your ankle, and your bleeding and afraid you'll soon die of expose if not found soon. You lay as still as you can trying to think of a way out of this,
    when suddenly the great beast shows itself...can you?

The answer is within

My Mood
    Brooding

easily.

i simply lie motionless, w/o exertion, until the best convinces itself i am dead, and therefore, no fun.

My Mood
    Brooding

as for the trap...conveniently, i happen to carry a well-stocked wilderness supply kit, and altho i must crawl weakly to it, there is a spade in the trunk of my car which will pry the jaws off my foot. I tourniquet it to staunch the profusely bleeding wound, then frantically grope around the front seat for my cell phone and call 911.

My Mood
    In Love

Dude that was to easy! Your a madman!

The answer is within

My Mood
    In Love

Don't be I'm rather fond of madmen!

The answer is within

My Mood
    Brooding

eh i probably live too far away for your my madness to matter to your fondness in any significant way

ne ways...i gotta go now, huh?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast