Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: It - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Masochist!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Masochist!
    Just for you.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

What is this thread about? I don't even care anymore.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    What is this thread about? I don't even care anymore.

Last topic I remember in the thread involved Lisa and a whip.

Okay, seriously this is definitely among my favorite King books. And I agree with what Jayson, Lisa, and yourself said on the significance of the orgy/ending.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am a little surprized

thank you very much for going back to the topic

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Should we mark spoilers in here?
    for the record, don't worry about the spoilers... it's marked in the title so anyone who enters is entering at their own risk!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

I noticed that after I responded to Sus/Mia. Thanks Odetta.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Another point to discuss - by the end of IT, it would appear that Maturin is dead, how does this affect the Turtle's presence in DT?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

it it a fact that he is dead? I can only remember It saying he is, and It, of course, is a born liar, just like Walter. I may have missed something, of course.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll go and dig it out to give you a quote in a minute, but Bill (I think) flies past the turtle and its just an empty shell.

Country
    Country Flag

very probable. I gather it happened in that part of the book where all the action took place... and you know action it's the thing that bores me most in books (second only to description of nature)

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Here you go, this is what I put in the Tower Connection for IT:
    It tells Bill, in the final battle in 1985, that the Turtle is dead - and as Richie goes to rescue Bill from reaching the deadlights, he senses that "there was something up ahead, some titanic corpse. The Turtle he heard Bill lamenting in his fading voice? Must be. It was only a shell, a dead husk."

Country
    Country Flag

thank you!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

No problem

I wonder though, if the spirit of the turtle lives on? The sway the skolpadda had for instance.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

IT was the number one seller for fiction books in 1986. Released in September with a first print run of 860,000 copies, it also had the novelty of being the first SK book (The Running Man-Richard Bachman was the true first), to have a UPC bar code.
    Contemporary reception:
    Even before its official September publication date, critics heralded the 1138 page book as the next King bestseller. Eric Johnson at Library Journal in August 1986 said "King is a born storyteller, and It will undoubtedly be in high demand among his fans" (171). Most of the contemporary reviewers said It followed King’s formula of horror and childish fun. In a cover story on Stephen King, Time magazine reviewer Stefan Kanfer said the novel "proves once again that [King] is the indisputable King of horror, a demon fabulist who raises gooseflesh for fun and profit" (74). In addition to the requisite thrills of the novel, the most favorable praise from reviewers stemmed from the descriptions of the Losers Club, their childhood trials, and their ability to outsmart the monster. "This is the pleasure of the book—the vindication of the adolescent heroes and the destruction of their enemies" (Rose, 103). Despite this, Rose also claims King’s writing style may not be able to stand up to the task of a partially serious novel that tackles the everyday horrors of life such as bullies, abusive parents, and racism. He says "He doesn’t really have the literary strengths necessary for straight novel-writing" (103). David Gates, Newsweek book reviewer, agreed that King may not have the literary talent necessary to carry off the epic story of seven small-town losers saying "Stephen King’s apparent desire to be a literary heavy hitter weighs down his already elephantine new novel" (82). However, he too said the saving grace of King’s novel is the "simple scenes in which King evokes childhood in the 1950s" (82).

The long length of the book also gave some reviewers pause when praising the novel. Although Johnson liked the book and realized its soon-to-be realized popularity, he expressed some criticism about the book’s size. "…There is enough material in this epic for several novels and stories, and the excessive length and numerous interrelated flashbacks eventually become wearying and annoying" (171). Walter Wager of the New York Times Book Review had even harsher words to describe the novel, saying "Casting aside discipline…he has piled just about everything he could think of into this book and too much of each thing as well" (9). Although most reviewers criticized some aspect of the novel, each reviewer understood that the book would be loved by fans.
    Full article

The King Collectibles Catalog article

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Who needs critics!?

Thanks though Jerome, you always find really interesting articles

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If I ever decide to read a book based on what those critic assholes say, somebody please kill me. Good or bad review, I ignore them all. I can decide for myself whether I should read a book or not.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Readers of The Modern Library voted It #84 on the top 100 novels of all time list. The Stand at #24 was the only other King book on the list.

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting, thanks Jerome! I would have thought they might be further down the list though. Hmm.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It was the scariest book I've ever read. I was a wreck reading that every night. *shiver*

The only other King book to freak me out was that one part in The Shining

Spoiler:
    when the Topiaries started moving

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It scared the life out of me the first time I read it, but on the reread I was prepared and noticed alot more about the story.

Country
    Country Flag

I had a very minor but pretty freaky experience when reading IT for the first time. I was only 12 or 13 at the time and I was already scared by the whole story.

There is a part in the story when Henry Bowers (the older) escapes from Juniper Hill and he is on the run. I don't remember exactly where he is but he is on the street and hears police sirens and he quickly hides from them. I kid you not, at the EXACT moment I read that line, a police cruiser zipped past our house, light/sirens blazing. It scared the living shit of me. I had to put the book down and stop reading for the night.

I've had one another similar experience like that during a King book but I won't share it here because that would be off-topic.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

I was about the same age as Monte when I read IT. I remember having a dream that was so scary one night that I literally fell out of my bed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast