Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: It - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I read the book. I don't think Gacy ever frequented sewers and storm drains.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you're missing my point.

Mark Twain once pointed out that God hand-picked Noah as the only man on Earth worthy to survive and lead civilization forward... and about as soon as they were all off of the boat, his sons found him completely drunk.

I guess we can't assume too much pre-destiny... unless we agree that God is cruel.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

or drunk?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post

Mark Twain once pointed out that God hand-picked Noah as the only man on Earth worthy to survive and lead civilization forward... and about as soon as they were all off of the boat, his sons found him completely drunk.

I guess we can't assume too much pre-destiny... unless we agree that God is cruel.
    UM....I'm pretty sure how that story goes is that Noah's daughters got Noah drunk so they could ummmm procreate.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post

UM....I'm pretty sure how that story goes is that Noah's daughters got Noah drunk so they could ummmm procreate.
    WHAT daughters? Noah had three sons and they each had wives.

I think you're thinking of Lot, not Noah....

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Ahh. That's right, been awhile since I read the Bible. Thanks for getting it right.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Ahh. That's right, been awhile since I read the Bible. Thanks for getting it right.
    You're welcome. And hey, you remembered the story of Lot, not everyone does, you just got it mixed up with Noah.

John F. Kennedy Archangel(tjk) is on a distinguished road Archangel(tjk)'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here are my thoughts on Stan. I think we would all do well to remember that SK is heavily influenced by H.P Lovecraft, and this story is one that just smacks of Lovecraft and the mythos universe.
    Think about it, a creature from "beyond" the stars, it feeds off and incites human emotions, lights that are not lights that drive one mad, and the final battle that happens in the psychic realm. That is pretty Cthulhu Mythos as it gets. Now I am not saying that IT was a great Old One, although those ideas are interesting. I am simply drawing a parallel. It is a very common element in Lovecraft stories for one or more characters to completely lose it, even after they have won the day, I think particularly of ATMOM, Whisperer in the Dark, and Colour Out of Space; all of the characters are deeply disturbed, phobic, if not totally mad by the end of the story.
    Stan was able to face the madness of it all, and successfully repressed it just like the others, but the madness of the clown tipped him over the edge when IT came back.
    In terms of the universe selecting anybody to do the job, why not pick someone more stable? Remember, that Roland and the gang come close to the brink of madness many times, it seems to me that it is the tool of the Crimson against the White (we see mental attacks in the Stand, Insomnia and Dreamcatcher as well). Stan succumbed that's all, not all Ka-tets live to the end, Roland's father and his ka-tet were hand chosen by the universe as well to fight against Martin, and they didn't do so hot.
    I am Vengeance, I am the Night, I am Batman

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

BC: C'mon, now; it's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel(tjk) View Post
    ... In terms of the universe selecting anybody to do the job, why not pick someone more stable? Remember, that Roland and the gang come close to the brink of madness many times, it seems to me that it is the tool of the Crimson against the White (we see mental attacks in the Stand, Insomnia and Dreamcatcher as well). Stan succumbed that's all, not all Ka-tets live to the end, Roland's father and his ka-tet were hand chosen by the universe as well to fight against Martin, and they didn't do so hot.
    Maybe, just maybe, in the grand scheme of things, if someone else had been in Stan's place then somehow they wouldn't have won in the end. Or it would have meant a change in something else affecting some other crisis some years further down the road. Who knows?

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

All this talk about IT has sparked my interest once again.I have decided that when the cold weather comes i'm going to take a trip back to Derry and pay a visit to Pennywise and the Losers Club.I think that reading TDT and ten years of life experience will gain me a new perspective on alot of details in the story.So..whos with me?After a fresh read we can really discect one of the greatest stories ever written?
    Here's an idea I have been toying with...Did Beverly Marsh have potential to become a gunslinger?.I say yes and I have some theories to back it up that come from my memories of the book.Thoughts anyone?

John F. Kennedy Archangel(tjk) is on a distinguished road Archangel(tjk)'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

BC: C'mon, now; it's me. Maybe, just maybe, in the grand scheme of things, if someone else had been in Stan's place then somehow they wouldn't have won in the end. Or it would have meant a change in something else affecting some other crisis some years further down the road. Who knows?
    I agree, I think we forget that sometimes destiny requires a death, we don't like that idea, but it is those moment when what we think should happen and then doesn,t that the sense of the horrific solidifies, that fact that we care so much about Stan's death just points to how good a writer SK is.
    I am Vengeance, I am the Night, I am Batman

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

I am listening to the new audiobook of IT right now and I forgot how scary it is. I think it is the only book that can still give me nightmares. It is so strange, I haven't read this book since I was 15. It's almost like I have never read it because my perceptions are so different than they were 10 years ago. At 15 I didn't even bat an eye at THE Sex Scene. It doesn't bother me now, but I did have to morally ask myself if I was okay with it and convince myself that I was. That is just a major example though. I just think it's cool how much better I "get" the adults in the book and understand their thoughts and motivations.

P.S.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AIMB View Post
    I am listening to the new audiobook of IT right now and I forgot how scary it is. I think it is the only book that can still give me nightmares. It is so strange, I haven't read this book since I was 15. It's almost like I have never read it because my perceptions are so different than they were 10 years ago. At 15 I didn't even bat an eye at THE Sex Scene. It doesn't bother me now, but I did have to morally ask myself if I was okay with it and convince myself that I was. That is just a major example though. I just think it's cool how much better I "get" the adults in the book and understand their thoughts and motivations.
    Stephen Weber does a great job with that narration.

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post

Stephen Weber does a great job with that narration.
    Yeah my only complaint is that it is a little choppy, like you can tell when he left to go a drink and come back.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

That is one of the great, and somewhat unique, aspects of this novel. That we can read it as children and see it from that perspective, and then again as adults from a totally different viewpoint.

It is amazing to me how differently some things affect me as an adult. For instance, on a recent reread of Pet Sematry, I identified with Louis's pain and grief on a much more personal level. I recently had twin baby girls, and the "kite flying scene" had a much more profound impact on me than when I read it as a child.
    Sloth Love Chunk

That is one of the great, and somewhat unique, aspects of this novel. That we can read it as children and see it from that perspective, and then again as adults from a totally different viewpoint.

It is amazing to me how differently some things affect me as an adult. For instance, on a recent reread of Pet Sematry, I identified with Louis's pain and grief on a much more personal level. I recently had twin baby girls, and the "kite flying scene" had a much more profound impact on me than when I read it as a child.
    I know exactly what you mean. I have a toddler so I literally get a sick feeling every time I look at that book on the shelf. Maybe I should put it away ha ha.

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

My two youngest are right around the Losers' ages. I can't imagine the older one doing anything remotely related to any of the adventures in the book. However, I look at the younger and think "If only she'd been there, IT would have been totally and utterly destroyed".

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It surrenders?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Angelic

You've heard stories through the years Brice. There'd be no surrender. Emmy would kill It.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post
    All this talk about IT has sparked my interest once again.I have decided that when the cold weather comes i'm going to take a trip back to Derry and pay a visit to Pennywise and the Losers Club.I think that reading TDT and ten years of life experience will gain me a new perspective on alot of details in the story.So..whos with me?After a fresh read we can really discect one of the greatest stories ever written?
    Here's an idea I have been toying with...Did Beverly Marsh have potential to become a gunslinger?.I say yes and I have some theories to back it up that come from my memories of the book.Thoughts anyone?
    I don't really want to dissect It exactly, and I won't have time soon to re-read the novel complete (not that I should need to, having already read it many times) but more power to you just the same. Most certainly I'd like to hear how you might justify that theory.

So anyone know how accurate it is that Eddie would have an inhaler that was really nothing more than water? Why would they have those?

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post
    I don't really want to dissect It exactly, and I won't have time soon to re-read the novel complete (not that I should need to, having already read it many times) but more power to you just the same. Most certainly I'd like to hear how you might justify that theory.

I should imagine that it has something to do with Beverly's prowess with a slingshot.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

So anyone know how accurate it is that Eddie would have an inhaler that was really nothing more than water? Why would they have those?
    Although placebos are commonly prescribed, and used, this type of placebo would be very uncommon anymore. However, in the early days of pharmacy, when this type of medication was compounded by the pharmacist, it might of been more commonplace.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    You've heard stories through the years Brice. There'd be no surrender. Emmy would kill It.
    Okay IT weeping would beg to surrender before Emmy killed it.

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast