Thread: The Talisman / Black House

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    A third installment is tops on my
    wish list of books I'd like to see
    published.
    Hell yeah!
    You say true, I say thankya. Hear, Hear, I beg.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    published.
    Hell yeah!
    Fourthed.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    published.
    Hell yeah!
    Fourthed.
    Fifthed, and the motion carried.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I haven't read Black House yet, so I can't vote on that, but I have to say it--I didn't like The Talisman as much as I'd hoped to....

I kept waiting and waiting for something to happen, and when it finally did, it was like "That's it?" It was like the literary equivalent of watching a TV miniseries, and it looked like it ought to have been called "Traveling Jack" for the better part of it, rather than "The Talisman." Maybe it's because I started The Dark Tower series first, but The Talisman just felt to me like a poor attempt at mimicking The Dark Tower on a smaller scale....

Don't get me wrong, I didn't come here to knock The Talisman, and as I said, I haven't read Black House yet--maybe I'll enjoy that one more.

And I did like Wolf,
    Spoiler:
    and was sorry he had to die like that,
    I'm not saying the book had no redeeming qualities for me. It just wasn't what I was expecting, and hoping for--but that might just be me. I have enjoyed most of the Stephen King books I've read, Dark Tower or no, but not this one so much.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

<--- doesn't think much of Talisman, either (except the very beginning and the Sunlit Home part)
    <--- is a BIG fan of Black House
    so yes, there is a difference between the two and you might still enjoy BH

also, please: being a two book-thread, it is not a spoiler thread, so mark your spoilers

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I like The Talisman quite a bit, but I LOVE Black House. Its just much more, exciting, re-readable and interesting to me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    <--- doesn't think much of Talisman, either (except the very beginning and the Sunlit Home part)
    <--- is a BIG fan of Black House
    so yes, there is a difference between the two and you might still enjoy BH

also, please: being a two book-thread, it is not a spoiler thread, so mark your spoilers

*winces*

Sorry--I'm not always aware of what counts as a spoiler, usually I'm more careful about that....

But that's good, and I look forward to reading Black House at some point--got to finish Wolves of the Calla first, and then I wanted to read Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis before I start Black House.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have read the Talisman and enjoyed it.
    Spoiler:
    I was very sad when wolf was killed.
    I have not read Black House.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

there's a sticky thread explaining spoiler policy in every forum. Here's the one for Cara Laughs.

You're a real pain in the ass, Jean.

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Angelic

Jean's just trying to stick to the rules as they exist. I can sympathize.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I like The Talisman quite a bit, but I LOVE Black House. Its just much more, exciting, re-readable and interesting to me.
    i also prefer BH to Talisman. I love both, but I think the writing in BH is a tighter, and Henry Leyden and Beezer St Pierre are two of the greatest characters imo. there is also more immediate excitement, and the obvious direct DT references all make BH the preferable re-read for me. all that said, i still love Talisman and rec it to anyone who has never given it a try. it's a great book. if you loved jake chambers, you will love jack sawyer.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    there's a sticky thread explaining spoiler policy in every forum. Here's the one for Cara Laughs.
    I apoligize. I forgot to put the spoiler. Won't happen again.

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    if you loved jake chambers, you will love jack sawyer.
    Unless you get them confused....

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

This may be out of place (please movie it if it is)...but does anyone know anything about TheTalisman movie that is supposed to be out this year. IMD doesn't have much info about it. I originally heard it was due to air around July. Anyone know anything more?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    This may be out of place (please movie it if it is)...but does anyone know anything about TheTalisman movie that is supposed to be out this year. IMD doesn't have much info about it. I originally heard it was due to air around July. Anyone know anything more?
    Brice told me that Spielberg has had the rights since 1984. Don't get your hopes up.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

Brice told me that Spielberg has had the rights since 1984. Don't get your hopes up.
    Oh, last I heard it was still planned, but who knows when?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Yeah, I originally heard Spielberg too. I just can't find any new info about it.

If anyone does The Talisman and/or Black House it really should only be Frank Darabont. He seems to be the only director that rightly captures King's work.

I read somewhere that SK told him "You get the prison stories" though

Yeah, I heard that too. What was that from anyway?...now you've got me wondering...

I think it was mentioned in the extras in one of the very first DT comics. ..... I think

My Mood
    Angelic

Just finished Black House and--

Oh.

My.

God.

I don't think I have ever so thoroughly changed my mind about a book over the course of actually reading it--ever! What an amazing story! So much in just one single volume--and a killer of an ending! I wasn't sure if I would be interested in the third installment in Jack Sawyer's story, but now I've been left wanting to know what happens next!

I am so glad I didn't give up on it, even despite the boredom I experienced in the first half--I'm still sorry for that, but the second half made up for it in spades! This is definitely going on my Top Five list, completing it for the first time!

(I feel like saying "thank you," but there's really no one to thank except the authors for writing it, and myself for reading it....)

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    Just finished Black House and--

Oh.

My.

God.

I don't think I have ever so thoroughly changed my mind about a book over the course of actually reading it--ever! What an amazing story! So much in just one single volume--and a killer of an ending! I wasn't sure if I would be interested in the third installment in Jack Sawyer's story, but now I've been left wanting to know what happens next!

I am so glad I didn't give up on it, even despite the boredom I experienced in the first half--I'm still sorry for that, but the second half made up for it in spades! This is definitely going on my Top Five list, completing it for the first time!

(I feel like saying "thank you," but there's really no one to thank except the authors for writing it, and myself for reading it....)
    I'm just glad you stuck with it...now you know why it's especially beloved by Dark Tower Junkies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast